Prednisone and Nail Fungus

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all,

I've been taking prednisone for a little more than 2 years now for PMR treatment.  Started at 40 mg and now at 5.5 mg.  I've had a toenail fungus issue for many years, but now my finger nails are awful as well.

Have any of you noticed that prednisone makes you more susceptible to yeast or fungal infections, and if so, what are you doing about it?

Thanks so much for such a great group,

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Steroids lower a person's immune response to infections, viral, bacterial, and also fungal. So it is understandable that your nail infections have spread or gotten worse. There are antifungal medications that your doctor can Rx.

• Posted

I've just been reading about psoriatic arthritis and one of the symptoms (others include symptoms mimicking PMR) is nails which look like they have a fungus infection.

• Posted

I see Anhaga has already mentioned the first thing that sprang to my mind - I have just posted this somewhere else:

"Just like psoriasis, PsA can cause many nail problems and changes. These include “pitting,” or the formation of depressions in your fingernails or toenails. You may also notice your nail separating from your nail bed.

Sometimes nail dysfunctions can appear similar to fungal infections.

If your nails on either your hands or feet look discolored or have indentations, this could be a sign of psoriatic arthritis. In later stages, the nails can be crumble and may become very damaged."

PsA and PMR CAN present almost identically in the very early stages although usually there are differences later on. But several people on the forums have had rheumies who were determined to make their PMR into PsA - though equally, doctors don't always link nail problems with PsA.

Have you had your toenail fungal issues confirmed by cultures or has the diagnosis been made on the basis of appearance? If you have used "antifungal" treatments that haven't worked over many years - it would suggest maybe it isn't the right conclusion! Worth checking out with your rheumy - and getting nail cultures done if that is possible.

• Posted

Hi Bob I had nail problems while on the pred and I used vicks vaper rub every day washed my feet put the rub on round the toe nails then a pair of white pair of socks on. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.