Prednisone and/or prednisolone

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone been taking prednisolone and changed to prednisone? If so, what was the regimen to make the change? Also, was there a noticeable difference in direct effects or side effects?

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I just took prednisolone one day and prednisone the next.
    • Posted

Thanks, ptolemy. When you transitioned what was your dosage of Prednisolone? Did you notice any difference?
    • Posted

And noticed no difference in your stiffness or pain between prednisolone and prednisone?
    • Posted

I found reduction easier, but the tablets were quite new ones with special coating. 
  • Posted

Why are you having to change? Prednisone gets converted to prednisolone by the liver. 
    • Posted

My medrol (methylprednisolone) is not available in 1mg tablets and prednisone is. So slow reductions are more difficult with medrol.

Do you mind telling me what your current dosage of prednisone is? My medrol is 8mg - equivalent to 10mg prednisone.

• Posted

sorry, I now realise you were asking Ptolemy, not me.
    • Posted

Not a problem. For information, if anyone is interested, I'm active with some stiffness but hardly any pain unless I really do heavy lifting or such.

• Posted

I have had a lot of side effects from the steroids, they did seem to reduce when I swapped though, but that may have been due to reduction. I had taken virtually no drugs throughout my life before pred, I had never even had paracetamol or an anti biotic. I wonder if that is why I had so many side effects.
  • Posted

Do we know why some people are prescribed Prednisolone rather than Prednisone? I know the difference is connected with what the liver does but wonder how the decision is made in the first pls e.
    • Posted

I do not know the answer. My primary physician started me with medrol but a rheumatologist wants me to change. His only reason seems to be the availability of 1mg tablets for prednisone.
    • Posted

It does seem to be related to where you live to a certain extent.  UK offer prednisolone and the US prednisone in general for PMR.  Maybe it is also related to price negotiation with the different drug companies. 
    • Posted

I'm in US, so medrol was apparently an unusual choice.

• Posted

That's interesting. All I know is that the liver doesn't have to convert anything with the Prednisolone. The job's been done. 

• Posted

That is what my brother said, prednisolone saves my liver, so I can have an extra glass of wine! Perhaps I should not have changed!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.