Prednisone induced cushings

Posted , 6 users are following.

Anyone have experience with cushing symdrome brought on by prednisone?  Would love to hear about it and any releif you've had.

Thank you.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

The NHS site has a good explanation of Cushings Syndrome.

Exogenous glucocorticoids

This means you take a glucocorticoid medicine regularly. These medicines are commonly called steroid (corticosteroid) medicines. Prednisolone is the most commonly prescribed steroid medicine. Steroid medicines are sometimes used to treat various conditions such as some types of arthritis and some cancers. It is long-term treatment with a steroid medicine that can cause Cushing's syndrome.

Long-term steroid medication is the most common reason for Cushings syndrome to develop.

It generally slowly disappears when you slowly come down pred doses.

talk to your medics, but whatever  you do - do not yo-yo or race to get off the pred, doing so can cause more problems.

I had the moon face and was sad when it went as I lost all my wrinkles and then back they came when the moon face disappeared.

• Posted

When I asked my doctor about Cushings, he laughted and said, "we've given you Cushings. That's what the prednisone does." Not funny to me, since my Dad died from it. I do havesome of the same symptoms - moon face,high blood pressure, higher sugar, low energy, etc. etc. Still hoping that, unlike my Dad, my symptoms will resolve while I'm still alive.

• Posted

Susan

Your Dad probably had a different syndrome of Cushings.

Your higher sugar can be dealt with.  If you put in your search engin PMR GCA North East, go the the newsletters and read the last one, in it is a 3 page article from a Lead Dietician who attended out meeting and as our members said, some of whom had Type 2, long before PMR, some who had developed it  said to that Lady - 'We only wish we had been told some of this years ago' - her reply was ' we know more now'. We asked if she would write an article and she did.

You can read it on the site and you can also download the whole Newsletter.

• Posted

Thank you! That is a good article. I've made some radical changes in the last month - all vegan, gluten-free and no sugar. The plan is to lose the excess weight, but my doctor promises it will also ease my PMR pain and significantly improve my health overall. So far, I've lost some weight, and that's worth doing whether or not he's right about the PMR. I do need to work on the carbs, though, since I gravitate to them even within these restrictions. All whole grain, but my doctor stressed salads, soup and steamed vegetables, Working my way there a bit more each week. Thank you.

• Posted

Hang On,  a radical change like that when your body is already having to cope with a suppressed immune system...........

Slimmers world seem to help a whole heap of people, however just being very careful, like ham palte size meals, instead of dinner plate size.   Childrens portions (when out eating) if available.

put PMR GCA north east in your search engine and read the article in the last newsletter by a lead dietician.

A cucumber (wrapped in foil and kept in fridge) when that wanty feeling comes along, cut of one inch and eat.  loads of minerals etc in those cucumbers apart from cleaning your mirrors better than anything else. rolleyes

• Posted

Nope, but I use Remy Martin (a small one) when the pain is on my scale of 1 to 10 and wwhen it reaches 7 - bingo.

Brandy developed by Medieval Monks as a medicine. Those French Monks sure knew a thing or two. rolleyes

Where you thinking of Golden Raisins soaked in Gin???

• Posted

Thanks for the thoughts. It isn't that radical a change for me, since I own and operate a vegetarian/vegan restaurant! That didn't keep me from overindulging in comfort food when I got home, though - ice cream, carnitas, ribs. So, that's what I need to cut out, and so far it's going well. I'm steadily losing weight and have enough "legal" treats (like mangos and coconut yogourt) that I don't lose my mind when my guy eats chicken pot pies and ice cream!

• Posted

thanks for the lead to the Newsletters - you really do have this support thing nailed up there!
    • Posted

Thank  you Flipover, we do out best.

Without our local members and email members (some abroad) and people who raise money for us and donate, we could not have done anything.  We started out in March 2008 with a simple advert in the local paper and 13 people turned up.

So, all 7 trustees are 'silver surfers' and volunteers (we do not have any paid help)  and you can see our photos and stories on our website.

You have made me think, myabe time an article about how and why.

As for 'nailings'  I have my Grandad's last and hammer standing on the hall table.   When he was crippled, at 40, in the mines (before nationalisation) he never worked again, but he cobbled the shoes of all the villagers.  So I do have a history of 'nails'. rolleyes

• Posted

Sounds worth a try, after all we stick lemon in it and talking about lemons:

............ well another time, if you are interested.

exclaim

• Posted

It's very nice with cucumber. Normally it's the gin beginning with Hen that has cucumber in it. The lemon sounds interesting!

• Posted

I also have had cushing syndrome brought on by Predisone.  I have had the MOON (round) face for 6 months, now getting better since down on lower dose of Predn.  8mg., though I still have some MOON face, not so bad. I also suffered from weight around my stomach and back of my neck, both of these problems have improved greatly.

All the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.