Pregabalin withdrawals

Posted , 3 users are following.

My son been on them for years and the doctor just kept upping the dose now 600 per day

He's coming off slowly bad withdrawals but someone said there are irreversible effets anyone know what these are

Thank you

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

It seems that some sort of substitution should have been done rather than straight forward reduction. Firstly why were they prescribed. when I switch from Gabapentin to Pregabalin and vice versa the doctors told me to slowly reduce one before taking the other. I explained as patiently as I could since he was clearly an idiot, that if I reduced down to nothing before taking the other tablet that I would be screaming in pain. I switch straight away and have been doing so for 15 years without any noticeable effect. Clearly if he is getting such bad withdrawal symptoms he is reducing too quickly and needs to change the time period of reduction. If you read the information leaflet that comes with all medication that should help but with all medications there can be minute damage to essential organs if taken over long periods of time that no one can be aware of until much later in life. There are several websites that can be googled which will explain in more detail what you are looking for but none can be sure how it will affect your son as everyones body reacts differently
    • Posted

I understand what you are saying, Steven, however not all drugs being tapered off from require an alternative to be added in, especially when trying to get off all addictive meds. They usually do it for comfort rather than need.

Before you jump up and down on me again, i know everyone is different with different needs. Unfortunately you are one that needs to replace and alter with other meds due to your problems, but not everyone is in your situation.

And just an add-on, leaflets don't tell you everything and neither do doctors.

• Posted

Hi sorry I came over heavy but all I was saying was that the dose he was on is very high and to come off them in the manner described is clearly what is causing his withdrawal symptoms. I agree the leaflets and doctors dont tell you everything which again is why I said it should be reported to the drug company or the FDA/NHS

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.