Pregnancy and ED support

Posted , 4 users are following.

I just found this support group tonight and am really hoping there are active mommies or mommies to be on here.

I have had an ED since around 12 yo. I suffered from anorexia, body dysmorphia and binge eating, and learned to be bulimic (purging) when my youngest was around a year old, in 2009. I've struggled with it and had weight fluctuations between 118-148 pounds, I'm 5'8" so it's a huge variance for me.

I'm 3 months pregnant with my third, facing an extremely stressful period without my fiancé and am seriously suffering with bulimia at the moment. I start my day ok with some fruity kefir to take my prenatal vitamins, then the day goes downhill from there. Today I had a large meal for lunch and purged, then ate three donuts, ate a late dinner and purged, then ate 3 more donuts. I know this is extremely unhealthy for myself and my baby and really hope to find some support online to strengthen and cope with this. If there are any other mom's out there who have been through this or currently are, please reach out so we can get some support for each other!

??

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Serena. I noticed you didn't get any replies to your post and that made me sad. I hope you're doing okay and got the support you need. If not please please speak to your GP or midwife who will help you get support, both emotionally and physically. They will be supportive and understanding. Does your fiancé know about your ED? I know you said you were going through a bad time but would you feel able to tell him? He may be able to help you when you get the urge to binge and purge. It's scary I know because the very nature of bulimia makes us feel ashamed but you have nothing to be ashamed of. Once you are in the cycle of binging and purging it is so hard to get out of. It takes over your life. You should be enjoying your child and your pregnancy. Please do not restrict your diet. This is what makes us want to binge and subsequently purge. You should try to have at least three meals and three snacks a day. No food is bad food, it is all nourishing you and your baby. The long term health consequences of bulimia are immense. It cannot only damage your heart but also your stomach and esophagus. You risk developing cancer. I'm not trying to scare you i just want you to get the help you need and live a long healthy life with your children. It is never too late to recover. I wish you all the best. God bless xxxx

• Posted

Hi Serena, 

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing some difficulties, it must be hard for you. Simplyme has offered some very sensible advice so there's not really much I can add.

What I would suggest is having a look at the Beat (the UK's eating disorder charity) messageboards as they are run by trained advisors on eating disorders, which this is not. They also have a free helpline which is open 4pm-10pm every day.

There is a lot of good advice here, but am signposting because you might find the above more specific to your needs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.