pregnancy or miscarriage

Posted , 5 users are following.

hello everyone

a few days ago my period was really late i took 3  pregnancy tests that gave me a positive,from 3 different brands one of them was a clearblue test that gave me 2-3. 

i then started having some bleeding so went to the doctor and they did an utlrasound scan that said i wasnt pregnant. the doctor then gave me some pills metronidazole and doxycycline they gave me alot of pains on the abdomen different from period paids and i took cataflam for pain as i am under the assumption that i might not be pregnant. but i understand that they are not good for pregnancy.

my questions are, could i still be pregnant?

should i take some blood tests? could the pregnancy tests be wrong?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

You should return to your doctor immediately.  I would  make an appointment or go to your emergency surgery to-day, or dial 111 for emergency advice.  There is another emergency advice line: NHS Direct 0845 46 47

My concern is that once you started to take the additional medication, why did you start feeling pain? 

Have you taken the prescriptions (metronidazole and doxycycline) before?

Have they given you pain in the past?

Whereabouts in your tummy is the pain?

Is it in the area of you umblical and/or the area where your ovaries would be lying inside your pelvic girdle/ uterous?

The fact that they do not feel to you like "period pains" (again do you suffer from them anyway), is a little worrying. Pregnancy tests are not absolute, although about 90% acurate.

When did you last have unprotected sex and would the timing of that coincide with your would be fertile phase of your menstrual cycle?

I don't want to panic or scare you, and I am not a doctor and only remember what I learned at school about pregnancy and conception.

What is going through my mind is if the pain is in the area where your ovaries and fallopian tubes lie, it could be an ectopic pregnancy.  See a doctor on an emergency basis, if necessary your Accident and Emeregency department (I assume that you are in England) as you need to have this checked out soonest.

Let us know how things go and stay calm.

• Posted

hi Chrisr

i will try and answer your questions a much as i can

i started feeling the pain the next day after i had started taking the pills the previous evening.

it is my first time taking the medication i have never taken it before

the pain is on my adbomen 

i do get get period pains during my menstural cycle every month

with the unprotected sex part it would have been around the 27th of september i believe im not quite sure and with my cycle its about 33-35 days.

i know the pregnancy tests might have been wrongbut i had all the signs of being pregnant like the tender breasts fatigue, feeling nauseus,

i still have the pains and my cycle lasts 5 days and the 5th day is today and my cycle is still a bit heavy and doesnt look like its gonna stop soon and the pains are still there as well

• Posted

If the Dr. said you are not pregnant than I have to assume you are not pregnant.

Sorry you are going thru this confusion.

• Posted

Don't be so sure- even doctors get it wrong sometimes even with modern technology such as ultra-sound.

That said, as I think  I mentioned in my earlier reply, there is a recognised condition, called "Phantom Pregnancy Sydrome" where a woman is so desperate to have a baby, she can "talk herself" in to beleiving she is pregnant. 

It will even include cessation of her menstrual cycle, showing a "bump" and even in extreme cases actually going in to a false labour, with waters breaking but no fetous. 

• Posted

They would have noticed during the ultrasound if she were pregnant.  They would have also seen benign fibroid tumors or ovary problems.

Periods can be very painful....why work this girl up? The Dr. said not pregnant.

If you don't want to take pain meds...try heating pads, rest and lots of fluids....wait till the menstral cycle passes and see how you are feeling.

Logically - 3 tests showed you were not pregnant and a Dr. went so far to do an ultra sound...you are not pregnant!  Take the medication if the pain is severe enough to take it.

• Posted

She wrote that her home tests indicated pregnancy. It's very early if so and may not be evident on the u/s. I would think the doctor would proceed with caution, though. 

Did the doctor do a blood test?  That's usually their proof at this early stage.  Everything you mentioned as pregancy symptoms also happen to be period/menstrual symptoms. When you say "some bleeding", could you mean spotting, or is this just like a monthly flow you normally experience, but with different pain?

Maybe stop all meds until you feel absolutely certain.  If you are pregnant from around 27 September, you won't be passing along medication from your bloodstream, but soon will. At least that's what I was told by my OB/GYN one December when I drank at Thanksgiving and later found I had been pregnant. (He's a healthy 10-yr-old now! Here in the U.S., any alcohol is frowned upon during pregnancy, though)  But, if you had a negative blood test, then no pregnancy. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.