Premature Menopause but convinced I had a miscarriage...

Posted , 4 users are following.

New person here, I didn't know where to turn because I'm too scared to go to the doctor (anxiety, gahh!)

I was diagnosed with primary ovarian insufficiency when I was 17, I am now 23 and have been taking HRT (Prempak-C) for the past 5 years. After a AMH test, I was told I had a severely depleted ovarian reserve so although I may (rarely) ovulate, I would most likely have to go through egg donors. I have regular, unprotected sex with my long term boyfriend as I believe whatever happens happens. 

However, around a month before christmas, my breasts began feeling really tender, to the point where I couldn't even brush against them. At first I thought I was just due a 'period' but it got to the end of january and were still tender. 

As bad as it sounds, I stopped taking my HRT for a few days so that I could time going back on them in order for me to not have a period while I was away on holiday. I stopped them around a week into the cycle but then I started bleeding really heavily. I went to bed with a tampon and got up and it was running down my leg, and it was heavy like that for a couple of days after. 

Usually, I would put this down to not taking the hormones, but it was unusually heavy with no pain at all and my breasts suddenly weren't tender anymore, which made me question it, as I know how my body reacts when I don't take the hormones, so now I've got it into my head that I may have miscarried. I have been passing some light brown coloured discharge for the past week or so, and am assuming after this time, it would probably be impossible to know if it was a miscarriage. I know it seems unlikely as I probably can't get pregnant naturally and didn't have any pain or sickness or anything but I can't get it out of my head.

Can anyone advise please?

Thanks!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, 

I would most definitely go and see your doctor about this. Never say never - things can happen. (I know a number of people who have got pregnant when the odds were against them - but I don't say this to get your hopes up). 

I would strongly suggest going to your doctors about this though, as if you have had a miscarriage they may need to check that everything has come out completely (without being too crude about it - sorry!) 

I am no medical expert, but I do know that if you have miscarried and anything has been left then this could further affect your chances of conceiving, as tubes etc can get infected, so it is much better to get this checked out. 

I hope that you do get what you want. I wish you all the luck in world. 

• Posted

Thanks for your quick and compassionate response, in truth, I wasn't aware that you could get infections etc if you haven't 'passed' everything, I just (wrongly) assumed it would sort itself out! I'll get booked in just to be on the safe side, I already regularly see a gynae so I might see if she can see to me quicker than my GP! I've put if off long enough as it is!

Thanks again! 

• Posted

No problem. 

The information I gave is correct to my knowledge. My Mum always drummed it into me to get checked if it ever happened to me, as it happened to someone she knew. 

• Posted

Hi , I don't want to give to much advice as I'm not medically trained but it could be because the blood was heavy other than that it may be your body reacting to ypu not taking your prescribed drugs. Seek medical advice and see what they say and your right whatever happen happens but don't give up !
  • Posted

Definitely visit your doctor. I thought the same as you at first, that the bleeding is due to not taking your HRT, but with the other symptoms you describe, you may well have miscarried. I had a few miscarriages, and can sympathise with the light brown discharge, which may be a sign. You don't always get lots of bleeding with a miscarriage though. And to confuse things, you can get stained discharge and 'periods' and still be pregnant : no miscarriage! They can do blood tests to see if your pregnancy hormones are dropping over 24 hours, but I would imagine it's been too many days now for them to do that...? Have you done a pregnancy test?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.