Preparations?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hey,

I've been waitning for my bunion op since November 2014 and I finally have it coming up in august. (This is due to me being 16 and being lost in the system too many times to count)

I want to know if there is anything I should do in advance, and anything I should prepare for?

I'm also curious as to how long you guys spent on crutches or similar devices as I have school 3 weeks later, as well as a whole bunch of stairs to go up and down.

Thanks! smile

P.S: I'm having a soft tissue release, bunionectomy, akin's osteotomy and if needed a first meratarsal osteotomy. HELP!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Put simply, you won't be ready to go back to school in three weeks!  Climbing stairs will take a few more weeks, and you'll have to have special treatment so that the other students don't accidentally tread on your foot.

for preparation, be ready to sit for a long time with your foot raised, so make sure you have all you need in the chair or bed that you'll recover in.  Also you won't want to walk up and down stairs for first three weeks so if their isn't a loo downstairs be prepared to spend time in your bedroom.  If you look up my earlier posts I gave someone a whole list of things to prepare before the op.  Good luck.

• Posted

I think it depends on what kind of bunion surgery you have im 3 weeks post op on my right foot and 1 week post op on my left foot i only used the crutches for the first 4 or 5 days after each op im getting around ok but my right foot still swells up once i have been on it for a few mins best wishes
  • Posted

Hi Jennifer,

I'm 19 & have had bunions as long as I can remember. 5 weeks ago I had a double scarf & akin osteotomy. This surgery needed doing a long time ago but they refused to operate on me until I was 19 due to having bones that would still be developing up to this point. It seems strange that their letting you go ahead but I wish you the very best of luck. Depending on the surgery you have it can take up to 6 weeks before you can walk comfortably. My particular surgery meant I am wearing boots which only allow me to put weight on my heel for 6 weeks, they come off next Friday thank the Lord! It won't let me scroll up to re-read the particular surgery you are having! This operation is a very long and slow recovery process and being young and not being able to do normal things with your mates can drive you mental! I'm so glad I had it done though, they are so perfectly straight and I have minimal pain and swelling, although still very early days.

Best wishes

Kate

• Posted

hi jennifer, i had a double bunion removal and hammer toe correction with pinning five and half weeks ago now, i am in now way able to go back to work at present due to the swelling and discomfort, for you to have this done and then school three weeks later i think you may be pushing it abit, as the healing does take time, your feet will still be quite swollen from the surgery, even after 5.5 weeks i am unable to get any sort of shoe on only the black support boot which i dont really get on with they make me abit off balance.. i also had some tendons cut which is why i can not put my foot fully to the ground yet... good advice for recovery, rest with feet up and make sure you have someone who can help with simple task for you, and keep a good stock of pain killers, and with the hot weather approaching a fan ..... at night my feet still feel like they are burning and stinging the fan is such a good help and helps me to sleep to.... i wish you all the best with surgery and a speedy recovery x
    • Posted

HIl gilly,  just a quick question re:  "i also had some tendons cut which is why i can not put my foot fully to the ground yet". Do you mean you can't put your TOES to the ground? I am just wondering as we probably had the same surgery and would like to know what to expect.

(sorry, I don't meant to hijack the thread)

• Posted

I'm almost 4 weeks in from having surgery on my right foot. I've spent the entire time on crutches, completely non weightbearing. So I'll have 6 total weeks without stepping on my foot by the end of this. Everyone's experience is different, but at around the 3 week mark, being on crutches just kind of became a hassle, but besides that I've been able to get around fine. Of course, everything is slower and walking more than a few feet is tiring, but like I said, it's more annoying than anything. Those stairs might kill you though! If you're someone who heals slowly or has a low pain tolerance, you might not be able to make it back in 3 weeks. If you are in a walking boot without crutches, I think the chances of you making it back in 3 weeks is small because from what I hear, it's very difficult to manage.

My advice to you.. see if your school/teachers would be willing to let you out of each class 5-10 minutes early so that you have ample time to switch from class to  class and don't have to worry about others bumping into you. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.