Preparing for Anterior/Posterior/Hysterectomy surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

I would like to thank everyone for their frank discussion of this very personal issue. Too often keep women keep the topic of their elimation difficulties and reproductive system under cover. As the grandmother of 3 beautiful granddaughters, I joke that if young women knew how their bodies may be altered from strenuous childbirth, there would be no grandchildren. I've dealt with an every growing rectocele since my second delivery 32 yrs ago. I now have 4, the youngest is 15. I've "chickened out" of surgery twice, first 3 yrs ago when my MD stated I would be in immense pain, and second 1.5 yrs ago due to "scheduling" but really fear. He advised anterior and posterior repair with Hysterectomy (I will assume total rather than partial due to multiple dysplasia treatments). At 54, and dealing with perimenopause, it's time to get this done. I've read a lot of literature, but truly appreciate the open discussions regarding post op recovery experiences, progress and difficulties. If there are any questions I should ask, I'd appreciate responses.

Thank you😊

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello susan. We all get so much from this forum and I'm sure you'll continue to. I presume you're in the US. Are you having an oopherectomy as well as a total hysterectomy? In the U.K. it's rare these days for ladies to have a partial hysterectomy (leaving the cervix intact) because of the risk of cervical cancer and more and more consultants recommend oopherectomy once we reach menopausal age again to reduce the risk of ovarian cancer which as you'll know is very difficult to diagnose. Please keep in touch x

• Posted

Hi Matron. Yes, I'm in the US. Ooph is a good question to ask. I have autoimmune thyroid disorder and those pesky hormones through off my thyroid function quite a bit this past year. Levels are finally stable. Thank you for this question to follow up on.

• Posted

Hi Susan. That was unfair of your doctor to scare you like that when you could've had such a better quality of life the past few years. Everyone's pain threshold and personal experience and fears are just that - personal. I suffer from really bad claustrophobia and my biggest fear was waking up after the operation with a tube still in my throats and me choking which of course is silly (but not to me). I'm 45 years old and first had a rectocele repair in my late 30s after problems voiding and having to manipulate etc but I can 100% say the surgery totally changed my quality of life. I'd suffered with the recital prolapse since I was 26 but was too embarrassed to ask for help. I was uncomfortable and weak for a few weeks after but never in any great pain thanks to paracetamol and laxatives and a couple of months after surgery you would never have known I'd had it I was completely back to normal. Unfortunately 18 months ago it failed as I developed a large cystocele and eventually both ends collapsed. I went to doctors straight away and got referred for surgery which I had 8 months ago. It was a much larger operation this time as I had a cystocele, rectocele repair and sacrospinous hysteropexy. Again I went through the "I'll die of a heart attack if I wake with the tube in my mouth" and again I was silly. I did feel uncomfortable after the op and again weak for the first few months. Sex took a few goes before it was comfortable but never at any time was I in excruciating pain - far from it. I know everyone's op is different but don't let that doctor's comment rob you of the life you deserve. You are young and should be enjoying life with those grandchildren not living in fear xx

• Posted

Hi Liz. Thank you for your response and encouragement. I have those same fears. I'm sorry you had to undergo surgery twice, but encouraged to know both were good outcomes post op. Appointment tomorrow to discuss and schedule. 

• Posted

Hi Susan, what a mean MD you had, Im really pleased you have opted to have the operation as before you know it, it will all be behind you and you will have a normal functioning body again. Do you still work? Time off work seems to be different for some of us ladies but it seems the very minimum is at least 6 weeks then very light duties going forward from then on for a few months after. Kind regards Kath
    • Posted

Hi Cookienz. Thank you for your post. Yes I work full time, but mostly a desk position. I had my pre-op consultation (again) today. I've backed out of surgery twice before. My Gyn reexamined me, was pleased my cycstocele was still small, but rectocele is now very large. New recommendation is NO hysterectomy and NO anterior repair. Posterior repair only. Yay! Didn't want to remove my uterus since I'm not having any negative issues going through perimenopause. He again said I would have a lot of pain, but said my quality of life will be much better. He's been my obgyn for 16 years, and delivered my last kiddo. I feel much more confident after reading all the other posts in this discussion board. 

• Posted

Hi Susan, Im really pleased to read that you are feeling more confident after reading what the other ladies have shared. Sometimes its the unknown that can be a bit frightening but honestly I think you are going to be totally fine and so pleased once you have your op and get back proper use of your bowels which is so uncomfortable. Im thrilled to bits with having mine mended. Pain wise honestly its uncomfortable but the hospital will manage that so dont worry too much. Ive had 21 operations now as was born with cleft lip and palate. Luckily only one op on prolapses and Id like to keep it that way ( fingers crossed) You will be fine regards Kath

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.