Preparing for my first of 2 HR's

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi, I have just received the date for my first HR and I am trying to plan for my after care! I have been told that I will be in hospital for 4 days (subject to all going to plan) and that is all. So can you tell me

please. ....

1. How long before the staples are removed.

2. How long after leaving hospital do I need to

recuperate?

3. How many weeks do I go back and see the Doctor

Any other comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have got disolvable stiches in mine and have been given an app to go back in 6wks.i had mine done on 5th jan and have been given a change of wound dressing by the g.p since then.
  • Posted

Hi, answers to your questions according to what I experienced:

1.  I didn't have staples.  The stitches desolved. 

2.  It depends on your age and lifestyle.  I was 49 and have a desk job.  I was able to go back to work comfortably after 10-12 weeks (post physical therapy).  This was my choice, as I didn't want to go back too soon and regret it. 

3. 10 days after surgery.  They take more X-rays and check the wound.

Hope this helpssmile

• Posted

1. Mine were removed about 12 days after.

2. Mine was Dec. 7 and though mobile with and without a cane, pain free, doing exercises, I would say at least another 2 to 3 weeks to go out to work on limited time. You get tired and need to rest. I do some limited work from home.

3. 6 weeks to see surgeon

Work with physio or ot re pillows for between your legs and something to rest your legs on whilst sleeping on your back. My best advice is to check in here with all the little and big things that go on.

Best of luck

Susan

• Posted

It all depends on lots of variables.

I didn't have staples, I had dissolveable stitches. One replacement dressing for user only if needed and it wasn't.

What is your definition of recuperate? I was totally pain free from the second I woke up. I could walk immediately. Returned to work this week at nine weeks - GP wanted a further assessment first, but for nothing to do with the hip per se. Full recovery can be anything from a few months to over a year depending on the person. And, obviously, whether there are complications.

I was supposed to have surgeons sign off at six weeks, but had an appointment at two as there were tests that he had to run due to potential complications - in fact the tests were all clear and the outcome was already perfect so he threw me out at two weeks! 

I don't think toy will find two people with the same answers - it is highly individual! 

Four days is a long time in hospital - do you know if there is a reason for that? Most of us are kicked out the day after surgery, or the day after that. 

My top is start practising now! Learn how to do things without bending, how to use all your equipment, plan your routes around home and remove anything you can trip over. I over planned out in some ways, and some of the equipment was barely used, but better to be over prepared than under. You might need it next time anyway - reading here people can have completely divergent experiences even with the other hip! 

• Posted

Ps. Should have added that although I was technically off sick for nine weeks, I was actually doing limited work from home throughout. If your work and employer are flexible there are other options available
  • Posted

Staples are typically 14 days post surgery.

?

My first set (I was 25yo) I took a week off after I got out of the hospital before returning to work. After my second set (20 years later) I was out 3 months each hip, but the surgery was far more agressive and I had physical therapy post surgery. I would get as much PT as possible and return when I felt I was 75% or so. I did half days for a while before I could do PT and still work the same day.

I did not go back until I had my staples removed, but we were in contact often as things changed.

?Keep ahead on pain meds, if you get behind it is almost impossible to get caught back up.

?If you are sitting or lying down a lot post release from hospital, request a muscle relaxer if you start having back pain. I hate them, but they are very helpful for the pain.

?Don't give up, and stay the course on PT. It will seem like you have hit the wall and are not making any improvement. This may last days or even a week or two, but keep pressing and one day you will get up and the wold will be a different place.

?I was told before my first time through that I would be in less pain post surgery than I was going in. They were not lying, and it was not due to pain meds, but reduction of pain from my hips. You will realize how much pain you have been in.

?Keep your eyes on the goal and push yourself to that goal. After my first set, I was playing softball and backpacking. Since the last set, I have been backpacking and hiking more than ever before. It is not unusual for me to hit the trail and do 12 miles in 6 hours with a 40lbs pack. That did not come the day after release, but took 18 months to work up to. work for the long term win.

?Good Luck.  

• Posted

Hi my staples was taken out after 14 days, I was out of hospital within two days,1st Hr I stayed at my mums for two weeks then was probably OK to do easy stuff,second one 28th Dec 16 I stayed at my mums 5 days came home and could do things for myself everyone is different good luck
  • Posted

Mine was Posterior approach THR. Staples came out 19 days later on my 12" incision. Follow up with Surgeon at 6 weeks and all restrictions lifted. Will take up to a year+ to totally heal. Everyone heals at a different rate and depends on approach, cemented, age, health and surgeons experience. I am in USA, 66 male.

• Posted

I think age and fitness might come into it.  Everyone different.  I was gobsmacked to learn that my bilateral hip replacements were done with superglue!  Who'd have thunk it!  Unbelievable...I can't open superglue without ripping skin off somewhere!

• Posted

Hi Tricia10

I had my first THR (in the UK) on Nov 23rd 2016, second will be in October 2017.

I was worried about the operation, but it's been the post-op recovery that's been the hard bit in fact. It seems to go very slowly, but I have seen improvements every day. Prepare yourself with lots of books, puzzles, videos etc - you will be sitting around quite a lot in between exercising to start with!

Staples come out at 12 days - and it doesn't hurt at all.

Recuperation means different things to different people I guess. 8 weeks on, my husband still has to put on my socks for me, and do up any difficult shoes. Sometimes I'm uncomfortable, but I can walk without a stick, and drive, go shopping, and do pretty much everything else myself. If I was working, I'd be happy to go back to a part time desk job now.

You should see the doctor at around 6/7 weeks. I've just seen mine, he was happy with my progress, but did say with emphasis "You will always have to be careful of your hip, remember it's an articial hip and take care of it."

Good luck, hope it goes well for you.

• Posted

Since practice varies so much I would be asking them for that specific information. If your in the uk you should be given a information leaflet explaining everything

• Posted

Thank you everyone for your replies, very helpful!

I forgot to ask about sedation for the operation!

The surgeon did suggest an epidural but I am very concerned that I will

be able to hear everything going on.

I would appreciate any feedback!

Thanks

• Posted

I had an epidural and happy drugs. Only heard the doc say this may pinch a plbut as he put the epidural in and then the RN in recovery. For me there were no after effects. A brilliant nurse recommended no food for a bit. Sips of ginger ale and water and broth.
    • Posted

Hi Tricia 1st hip replacement I had epidural and sedation woke up in recovery didn't have a clue,2nd hip opted for the same woke up and they was in to putting the staples in I was aware of what was going on but didn't care must be the sedation if somebody had said to me u wake up I would have run but I was fine and if u have a ga that takes time to get over to

• Posted

Hi Tricia, I was given an epideral.  They also had me connected to an IV in which they could knock me out whenever I requested it.  I decided to stay awake for the whole procedure.  I did get queezy at times, but the nurse administered something in my IV and within 2-3 seconds I was okay again.  She told me that she could put me under within seconds whenever I gave the word.  The experience was absolutely amazing!  Not for everyone thoughsmile  Recovery was also easier because I wasn't groggy.  I was able to ask questions throughout.  It was weird listening to the surgeon talking about what he did over the weekend while operating.  Kinda like, this is just another day at the office....lol.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.