Preparing to start - any advice for a newbie?!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello All, my name is Cath & having reached the depths of despair over my weight have agreed with my GP to try orlistat. I have the tablets but as its Christmas I'm not going to start until Wednesday. Plan is to get through any rubbish food already bought for Christmas so I can start properly next week & I have time to prepare & organise myself. Does anyone any advice or tips they can share? How often do you weigh in? Are there any discussion threads focussed on sharing your weigh in results? I was planning on weighing each week (in Boots for 50p lol) so have the printouts to show my GP at the end of the month but fear I will need more support than that as I weigh around 28st :-(

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi cath

i too recived the pills before christmas and so yesterday i started them after finding a juicy 10lbs gain, im back on slimming world 100% now so hopefully will begin to see losses

• Posted

Hi Leah thanks for replying. Well I'm 6 days in & 6lbs lighter already! Pushed it a bit over the weekend so been suffering a bit yesterday & today but it def serves as a deterrent for the future. I'm loosely doing slimming world too but on my own as I can't afford to go to group hence hoping to find buddies on here for support x

• Posted

omg tahts brilkiant!

i really hope it works for me too. what is your food diary looking like? what did you do to lose 6lbs?

• Posted

Hi Leah - thanks! I've just been following SW as much as poss so porridge or shredded wheat with skimmed milk & frozen berries for breakfast. Soup/salad/small Bread roll eaten in 2 halves with fat free Greek yoghurt & fruit for lunch. Big thing tho has been having half a plate of SO veg or salad with whatever for dinner like chicken/fish etc. Been low on carbs I admit like butternut squash noodles inset of pasta with my turkey Bolognese last night. Fruit & yoghurt for pudding too. I admit I only followed it perhaps 80% of the time &boy have I paid for that 20% the kast couple of days so this week is 100% on plan :-)

• Posted

Hi Kath I started my tablets n diet on Tuesday n iv lost 4 pound n that's just by going from 1 meal aday to 3 meals a day Iv not done any excise as yet I'm glad your doing well have read your food diary looks good do you do any exsice at all xx

• Posted

Hiya - what a great start for you too! I must admit I used to only have 1 or 2 meals a day whereas now I have 3 which was on Dr's orders. She did also advise 30-40mins walking each day even if in shorter bursts of 10mins a few times. I haven't actually managed that yet lol but I have increased on what I used to do - I have asthma & this cold weather isnt good for it. We also agreed I'd get my Wii fit out so that's tomorrow's goal :-) xx

• Posted

Good for you hun I have a new puppy 10 months old German Shepherd and she likes her walks Whitch hubby walks round fields n he lost stone no diet so I was how come u can loose weight n I'm putting it on he's was like it most be walks so iv brought my self wellies n do walks with him not every day but most as I suffer cyatica lower back so cold weather don't help me ever iv got my self in a food dairy breakfast fruit n fiber small bowl with skim milk ...lunch iv changes to my tea and I have my main meal at lunch ..so I have maybe some potatoes pork chop lots veg ..or jacket potatoe salad ...then for tea I have crackers yogurt ..or omelette I find having main meal around 3 fillss me n I still busy doing stuff to work it off if I have it at 6 I'm sitting around watching TV so that works for me I also see diatiction at hospital and get advice as I need to loose stone to have gastro band op as my weight is causing health problems I weight 17 stone 1 ...I hope we both get what we want xxx

• Posted

We can only do so much hun when we have health issues. I too am being referred for gastric surgery but no idea whether I'll be successful or not. I'm doing my utmost now so as I can show that I have already made changes, lost weight & am committed to making myself healthier. I've always been overweight - from a child up my weight in stones matched my age tho it levelled our in my twenties. 6 years ago I really tried & lost 7st getting down to 17st 10lbs but I then caught glandular fever & it started to go back on then I fell pregnant & its been a downhill battle since then. I-m at my heaviest now & can no longer paint my toenails or have a bath as I would honestly get wedged in. Hence going to the Dr & begging for help. I always thought I'd get bavk in the zone & take the weight off again plus more but I feel so overwhelmed by how much I need to lose that I'll take any help I can including surgery.

Let's support each other hun - we can do it together xx

• Posted

Iv also been big from child hood my weight never realy both me but since I lost my job n got lazy as to say it's craft on n I'm notice it and it's cause more trouble that it's worth it live in tamworth midland n live in the country lots of fields so I have lot beautiful walks of need to take more notice of I keep telling my self I can do it and I'm worth more than this fat n I want to do more with my gran kids n I want to live longer I no longer need to be known as the fat person I want to do this for me so yes let's support each other I got my 1st Weigh in at GPS Monday so hope iv lost enoth to keep on the tablets we can do this I have Facebook if you want to add me my name is tina Harrison my profile picture is me dark shoulder lenth hair blue top sitting in car add me if you like xx

• Posted

Sorry it's tina Maria Harrison on Facebook x

• Posted

Hi Tina, I haven't forgotten you hun just had internet probs. Will find you on Facebook - I'm Catherine Bell & my profile pic is a lovely close up of just my face haha.

Have you weighed in with your GO now? How did you do?

I found the weekend incredibly hard but lost another 3lbs so was happy lol xx

• Posted

Hi Cath and Leah,

I am getting my pills from the doctor tomorrow, I am excited and totally panicking all at the same time...... I am nearly 24 stone I had lost 7.5 stone but decided I was quitting smoking. I have now quit smoking but I put back on 4.4 stone. I know that no matter what we do as long as we want to do this we can. So all the very best of luck ladies, I know you can both do it :-D xxx

• Posted

Hi, welcome to the gang!!! I know how you feel after losing so much weight successfully then putting it back on - I lost 7st 1lb before catching glandular fever then having my daughter who's now 4 & I have put it all back on plus an extra almost 3st..it's so depressing. But, we have our GP's backing & help with these tablets. I'm determined not to throw this opportunity away but I have a long road ahead of me.

Advice I'd give you prior to starting is wear some pads for the 1st week or so as once they kick in the pills mean your bowels aren't necessarily totally controllable & when its getting rid of the fat it comes out orange & oily & stains...even the toilet! It reminds me of the orangey oil you get if you haven't drained the fat off when making Bolognese!! Once it's worked on what's already in your system providing you follow the rules you'll have no side effects & you'll get used to the foods you can/can't eat. They can't distinguish between good/bad fat tho so for some people salmon & eggs aren't good - we're all different. Good luck, keep posting & we can all support each other. You can find me on Facebook too if you like - Catherine Bell xx

• Posted

hi, well its my first proper week back on orlistat and calorie counting i weigh in tomorrow and im so anxious about it, i put on 1lb last week with no explanantion forit, im now 2 stone heavier i was in july
    • Posted

How you doing today? I know its easier said than done but try to put last week's gain behind you as its in the past now...Try to concentrate on each day 1 at a time xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.