Prescribed Tranexamic Acid for continuous bleeding - is this right?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I've been prescribed Tranexamic Acid, and I'm not sure if it's right.  

I started having very heavy continuous bleeding 6 months ago.  The GP found I was hyothyroid so am treated for that now.  She gave me norethisterone for the bleeding and I took it for 8 weeks non stop (very very bad idea)  then after the withdrawal bleed I had nothing for another couple of months.  

Now, I've been bleeding heavily for 4 weeks non stop.  Blood test nomal, waiting for a scan.  Get dizzy, faint very tired even with iron tablets.  Taken 2 doses of TA so far, so how long does it take to work, and if I can only take it for 4 days,how long before I can take it again for the same period?  Thank you for reading x

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I'm in the same situation as you taking norethiserone because of a very nasty bleed which lasted 35 days before I gave in and went to the doctors been on them before but only to stop heavy bleeding no the side effects when stop but been told to keep taking them until gyn appointment which is two weeks away now take two a day but still prone to spotting dreading coming off them because know what is going to happen l found TA didn't work for me still heavy bleeding and blood clots l have been told that I have fybroids im 48 and hope that someone can sort me out can't live like this anymore
  • Posted

You seem to have had the same problems I am experiencing now. DId you get a resolution. I am seeing a gynae for my fibroids one is 4cm may have smaller one. dId you have them removed or how are you managing the situation now. I am 52 and in peri but at wits end with the bleeding
  • Posted

Hi,

Don't know if this helps, but I also have a grapefruit-size fibroid and have heavy bleeding and big clots during my period that make me so anemic I have had to be rushed to the hospital where I refuse transfusions. I also hate taking any meds but the TA actually takes the edge off the huge clotting and so I took it for a year, mostly at day 2 of my period for a few days, sometimes for the complete 5 days I was prescribed when the bleeding/clotting got so bad! You just take it each month when you get your period and I took it when I started to cramp because that was my signal that I was going to clot. It doesn't stop you from bleeding heavily or having clots, just takes off the edge. I'm glad I took it as I didn't have to go back to the emergency room again in the past year. Now I have run out of the prescription and will probably not get it again. Here are some other things I do which I believe help: I take desicated liver pills a little before I'm getting my period and throughout and until I feel better again. I eat a lot since you lose your appetite when you get anemic so you must make yourself eat a lot! I rest a lot and sleep more than normally. I eat beef once a day or lamb. I eat butter at my breakfast, which makes me feel better. I also take a non-heme iron pill - Mega Food Blood Builder - and extra buffered Vit. C at every meal. I eat dairy only at breakfast and avoid it the rest of the day. I avoid eating or drinking stuff with caffeine in it. Dairy and caffeine will inhibit the absorption of iron. I just started taking lactoferrin, which may help the oxygen transport in the body. Not sure yet if that's helping but I am feeling better now than a year ago. I'm 50 and not a good candidate for anything apparently except a hysterectomy which I'm refusing. I've tried to take ferrous sulphate and ferrous gluconate through a hematologist and my body rejects those. I don't want to do the infusions and I don't want to take the stuff per the Gyne to "go into temporary menopause". Can't remember what that's called but I'm avoiding as much as I can with side effects. However, tha TA really didn't cause me any side effects, and it was worth it for me. But you have to weigh the pros and cons for yourself. I hope this info helps - good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.