Prescription Period

Posted , 5 users are following.

My repeat presription for three drugs are only dished out in quantities of 224 tablets each maximum, that lasts 28 days for me.  Now the holiday season is coming up  it takes a bit of juggling to ensure I always have tablets available.  The process of requesting another 28 days worth and collecting them can take 10 working days.  Most epilepsy sufferers are likely to be in the same boat so why not allow us to receive at least three times this amount?  Has anyone ever discussed this with their GP? Is this 28days a national limit?  Any information gladly received.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I've never had any bother to get extra weeks if I've put on my repeat prescription that I'm going on holiday. I only need to give 48 hours notice
  • Posted

Just order them a week earlier, I once said to them I am going on hols and got 2 weeks earlier.

We shouldn't have to fib but it is better than running out ..Good Luck

Win x

• Posted

David, I live in the U.S. Most of the cost of my medicine is covered by insurance. I have new insurance now and can order a 3 months’ supply (good!). Under my old insurance plan, I could only order one month of pills at a time. I probably could have asked for a second month supply but my insurance wouldn’t have covered the cost, it would be out of my own pocket, and it’s not cheap in the U.S. Even if my Dr had written a prescription for 2 months, my old insurance plan wouldn’t have paid for it – one month at a time. I thought about getting an extra month’s supply before with my old insurance plan. The only way I could think of is having my Dr write a second prescription for the same med. That way I could have over lapping orders that would make it harder for my old insurance to trace. I don’t know how prescriptions are written in the U.K. or if they trace meds to a single Dr. In that case, try to get a second Dr to write out a prescription for the same med.
    • Posted

hello steve

'fraid under our system your idea's pretty much a 'no can do'.. our gp system means you can't simply have two 'cross-prescribing'.  other than changing gp entirely one gp's all we get!  we may sometimes have to see a different one at the practice 'on the day' but your management would always remain with the one named gp.

the regime and dosages would always come from your consultant but it's down to the gp practice how they choose to fulfil the consultant's instructions.

• Posted

hi david

..think it must be a bit of a "cos that's how we do it" from your gp - i've been getting a carrier bag full of stuff every 8 weeks for years, from both my previous and current gp's.

on the other hand, if you're having to negotiate with the 'prescription' desk or a receptionist chances are you're fighting a losing battle even to get a hearing.  i swear they're there as a 'log jam' to stop you 'bothering' your gp.. my lot certainly do - i think they're specially trained in fobbing you off.   that's also been from my last gp's and this one.

might making an appointment specifically to discuss this be the answer?  maybe with the gp, the prescription team or even the practice manager.  after all, it is a 'systems' thing.  could your consultant possibly authorise them to give you a bigger bag?  chances are you'll have to be the one to come up with the solution - if left to them sounds like it just ain't going to happen.

best of luck with it david.. must leave you wanting to tear your hair out!

• Posted

Hi David, go see your Dr and ask for it to be changed. I did and because of that type of drug like AEDs he did without hesitation.
  • Posted

Hi David

I do not now if drs are allowed to prescribe drugs for more than a month at a time.

I know that if I lose any meds say if someone such as a new cleaner  or the de orator throws any out in error that the dr will always prescribe the quantity that has been lost or accidentally thrown out by the domestic help. This has happened more than once and is a nuisance. I have even had some meds taken out of my bag in hospital!

Perhaps a pharmacist at a large branch say could answer your questions in more detail.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.