Prevention of scabies after exposure

Posted , 6 users are following.

So my housemate found out today, after two months of itchiness and rashes, that he has scabies and got some treatment for it. I had no idea he had it and last week I had fair amount of skin-skin contact with him for various reasons (non-sexual), so i'm obviously quite worried I have picked it up too. rolleyes

In this last week I have had no symptoms of itchiness/rash but i'm aware they can take a few weeks to develop.

I rang the doctor and told him how much exposure I had and he thinks my chances of having it are 'very small', but nonetheless I am going to get some permethrin tomorrow morning to make sure I kill anything that might be there. 

Will this work? If have picked up some mites will the premethrin work prophylactically and prevent scabies developing?

Or does it only work after the mites have established themselves?

I am worried I could have given it to my girlfriend if i did pick it up. My doctor said her chances of having it were virtually nil but I still told her and she is thinking about getting cream too. 

Any other advice on preventing scabies would be welcome 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear about what you're going through. I had scabies and I've only just got over it. I think it's one of the worse things that has happened to me. My doctor prescribed derbac m (malathion). I had to smother myself with it covering every part of my body an not wash for 24hrs, then repeat the process 7days later. At the time I thought I would never be free of the terrible itching but I used eurax cream to help with itching and it has finally gone away, no more itching or rash. I would say it takes a good two month to get over the itching and rashes from scabies. But the scabies are dead after the two applications of the treatment even though you are convinced they are still running all over you. it's just and allergic reaction that's left and it's truly dreadful, feels like bugs are crawling all over you body and the itching nearly drove me out of my mind. Knowing how truly alwful scabies is I would definitely treat myself before I had the symptoms. The treatments will kill the bugs even if you don't yet have symptoms and perhaps it will save you a couple of months of hell on earth. It is toxic though so not that great for body organs. But your body does get over it. You might have scabies you might not. The trouble is it takes weeks for you body to start having a reaction to them. If I was you and your friend definitely has scabies go to the chemist get the derbac m and the eurax cream and kill them before you get the symptoms. I definitely would. Get your friend some eurax cream too! It will help the itching so much, it's a scabiside too and saved me from going compleatly nuts. Wash bed cloths but don't go nuts with washing and cleaning your stuff and house, it honestly isn't worth the stress and it isn't necessary..... Even though you feel like they must be everywhere, honestly they're really NOT. Good luck. I hope you get them before they get you!
  • Posted

It should work and I highly recommend it!!! I had family use permethrin prophylactically because my daughter had scabies and they spent a lot of time holding her and playing with her. The only person who we ended up passing it on to was the one person who delayed their permethrin. We didnt even get it from a person directly!!! We picked it up from textiles that were shared with the person who had them. Namely, the carpet outside of our apartment was covered with them! So make sure you are also cleaning surfaces in your home well. Good luck! 
    • Posted

Question, how long did that one person that delayed treatment start showing signs. My family was exposed 5 weeks ago but no one is showing anything yet. We were all treated with the Premthrin 5 % 4 weeks ago. We choose just one application per the derm request.
    • Posted

Hi Jami. I'm just wondering how you and your family are? We had the same situation here. We're exposed 5 weeks ago, had 2 applicator of permethrin being the first 4 weeks ago. We had occasionally itching at night but nothing horrendous and a few spots but not itchy. Oh the uncertainty is killing us. Also have been using neem oil and kleen green. Please let me know how things turned out.
  • Posted

You should be fine. I'm almost certain the incubation period is 4 to 6 weeks. If you or your girlfriend see one red papule, go back to the doctor. That is, after to go now and get the promethrin cteam. I'd treat it, too and as early as possuble. If he sat down that's a different problem because someone gave it to me that sat in a leather chair 9f fine. I had disinfected it well. Wah any bed linen and towels he used in hot water and dry thoroughly. If he didn't get 8n 5he b3d, I'd kick back and relax. Just wash your clothes prior to treatment and put on clean clothes afterwards. If you have animals get them checked if you see severe itching. Get well soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.