Primary Stabbing Headache, Ice-pick Headache

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello

I am just wondering if there is anyone else out there suffering from Ice-pick headache.  I have just been diagnosed with it and my Dr seems to think it will just go on it's own although I am not convinced.  Would like to know what medication other people have taken with success.  Any info would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Annag ,yes I've had several of those ice picks ,first time I will never forget ,it shot me forward with force of it ,on the right hand side of head ,first time was 10 yrs ago ,I've had several since ,same spot each time ,my aunt and a cousin has these also  so it can be a family thing .We all 3 say it's in the same place when it happens .No meds for it ,it passes ,there was a male on here early part of year ,had same thing .Have you allergies ? Think that's root cause  like Sinisitis / Rhinitis ,I don't worry ,as it's happened over a 10 yr stretch ,just takes you by surprise ,how sharp that pointed feeling of pain is ,no prior warning .
    • Posted

Hi Marlene

No I don't have any allergies.  Mine came on very suddenly and I was getting around 6 or 7 attacks a day.  Now I am on medication they have subsided somewhat thank goodness.

• Posted

Yes I have these.  I used to get migraine headaches, but now, as I'm older, I get the aura, but no headache..  The aura comes on mostly when i'm very tired, or stressed.  I've noticed that being tired and stressed can also start the ice-pick headaches.  They can last for quite a while, just coming and going in my right temple area.  I've also read that they are very common in people who have had migraines.

I mentioned it to the doctor at one time, but, after examining me, he said he thought everything was fine.  

• Posted

Sorry.  Can you tell me what medication you are on, please?  I just take paracetamol, but it's not very effective and, when I do get attacks, the sharp pain also seems to affect my eye on that side and is very unpleasant.  I can sometimes have an ongoing attack that will come and go all afternoon.
    • Posted

Hi

The neurologist prescribed me with Amitriptyline (up to 25mgs) which is an anti-depressant but used in small doses for nerve pain.  That takes a good few weeks to have any effect so while that is kicking in, he has prescribed me Indometacin which is supposed to be very effective for Ice pick headaches although not so great on the stomach, hence it is just for a few weeks.  I have still been having attacks though so I'm not that impressed with it to be honest.

• Posted

Thanks.  I already take 25mg Nortriptyline, which is a sister drug to Amitriptyline, but for fibromyalgia.  It certainly helps with my sleep, but I can't say I've noticed it being effective for the ice pick headaches.

I hope it works for you eventually.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.