Printzmetal angina and driving

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi everyone, I've been having more attacks lately and due to go back to see my cardiologist.  has anyone ever had any issues with not being allowed to drive. Thanks 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Laura,

I would say a darn good percentage of the Western world population over 65 suffers from angina and they are still allowed to drive smile. Unless you're having uncontrolled black outs for some reason - such as epilepsy - there should be no reason why you shouldn't be allowed to drive. I don't know what the rules are in the USA but here in Australia it would not disallow you a license or the ability to drive. Check it out with the cardiologist but I shouldn't think it would be a major concern.

All the best

Bronnie P 

• Posted

I'm Australian smile  and it is law for the cardiologist to report concernable angina, any type of angina. It just depends how bad you suffer angina and how nasty your cardiologist wants to be......

• Posted

Hi laura,

Yes I had heaps of trouble , I had my licence suspended by my GP and had to have yearly drivers assessments to be able to keep my drivers licence, I had to go to my cardiologist to sought it out, he cancelled part of my my medium rigid licence, where I am a medium rigid licence also means driving a bus, so in the cardiologists words he said it is better to have one life taken rather than a bus load, I could still drive a car and truck but no buses.

My new cardiologist has now completely cancelled my truck licence. It's to do with medications, actually having a heart attack, and the spasm pains themselves, when severe spasm pain comes whats the first natural thing a person does....  their attention is diverted for a split second if not longer and that's all it takes...a split second. I can't remember, I'll have to look at my paper work but I think I have to have a drivers licence assessment every 5 years.

• Posted

Hi 🙋 Samuels,I had the same my doctor told me not to drive HGV witch put me off work for months and months,eventually the company I worked for laid me off and because of my COPD as well told me I would never work again and that has been the case for the last 2yrs,the DVLA revoked my HGV/PSV but as I retire this September I'm not to bothered to be honest with you,so hope you are getting better and getting on with life.

• Posted

Hi Laura,

I was restricted from driving just after my heart attack for about 12 weeks. However, I also had a baby within a ten day window of having my MI so that may have had something to do with it. I used to drive all over Houston TX for work so when I did go back to work I had no restrictions. However, I had anxiety and did not realize it in addition to being in phase four heart failure. I was hospitalized several times while driving. Sometimes from exhaustion or anxiety but I was having spasms at the time too so it was hard to tell which came first. If your symptoms are severe it could affect your driving skills or for me when I took Nitro it sometimes would give me blurred vision. I would possibly get a second opinion. It never hurts and that is how my Printzemetals was diagnosed. I'm sorry you have to go through all this. I totally understand it can be frustrating. Just know your limits and if you have no problems driving see another doctor. My husband used to go with me to see how far I could drive on the weekends without having symptoms so I understood my limits. Wish you the best!

• Posted

Hi 🙋 Laura,I had my truck license revoked but never my car 🚗 license and l still have the odd attack now and again,best see what your cardiologist says when you see him,best of luck x.

• Posted

Thanks everyone, I'm in the uk, and no I,m not having blackouts guess I'll just have to discuss and see what she says.😬

• Posted

I should say I have 8 attacks roughly per month how does this compare to everyone else? Usually overnight early hours of morning or early afternoon if at all during the day. Thanks😀

• Posted

Hi laura,

I average 2-3 attacks that require me to go to our emergency department a week during winter, less in summer, well now anyrate, usually once a week occassionally but generally every 12- 15 days during summer between bad attacks. Mine use to occur overnight but I was put on a medication that seemed to stop the over night spasms, I'm also the same early hours of the morning or early afternoon, I always get that one bad attack that requires a trip to emergency.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.