Prinzmetal angina

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm curious how many with Prinzmetal angina take l-arginine supplement and if so how much and has it helped. Also how long have you been taking it? 

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello,

I am taking a cardio cleanse with includes L-arginine for about 2 months and do notice if I miss taking them.  They didn't help for about 2 or 3 weeks tho at first.

• Posted

What is a cardio cleanse? Also what do you notice that is different when you take them? How have they helped? 
    • Posted

I have been taking Larginine since my cardiologist suggested it a couple of years ago, I was not sure why or what benefits it gad but googled it and it did sound beneficent for prinz metals angina, so I keep taking it as I trust the dr and want to do whatever I can that might help, I take the powder in v8 juice as it's salty but you can't taste it in the tomatoe vege juice, I gave found niccorandilbto be the best medication for me
    • Posted

Cardio cleanse is what my naturopath supplied me, he said it was amino acids, but I don't know the ingrediants.  It has lessened my attacks, not stopped them altogether, but have not had to have many GTN sprays since taking them.  I gather and wonder if it is a bit like the chelation treatment, which is like a blood cleanse.  Some heart patients find chelation works, but I haven't tried it.
    • Posted

Hi Pricilla do you take the L argine in tablet form or powder, I take the powder in V8 juice and you can't taste it, it would be easier for me to take tablets if I could
    • Posted

Hello,  I take it in tablet form, was told to take 5 capsules a day, but don't know how much of the L argine is in the cardio cleanse.  I am always worse if I get tired.
    • Posted

My cardiologist is from England and that's why I think that she put me on Larginine as England is more advanced than Australia on most medical issues, I would like to take the tablets I will look out for them here as the powder has to be mixed all in juice, it's just straight  Largine pure not cardio cleanse, 
  • Posted

Hi Sheri, i have been reading on here about it and done some of my own research. I started a month on trial 4 weeks ago using a local national chain (H...) and have today started my 4 week off trial. The time i was taking it i noticed overnight sleep was better even though i have meds for overnight this seemed to enhance it. I will report back on further thoughts, indeed if last night was anything to go by i may well cut short my time off and go back to taking them.
    • Posted

Did it just help you sleep better or did it stop spasms during the night?  
    • Posted

as i used to wake up with "panic attacks" and sore heart chest and arm (left) i am assuming it has helped "stop" the spasms. i cant say stopped becasue i dont know but certainly reduced them to below the wake up and panic threshold... I also find drinking good beetroot juice during the day has helped - recetnly watched a programme about the enhancing effect of Beetroot on athletes and its how and why and had that doh moment and realised try it.... (i coach and have previously used it and a training enhancer for self and athletes but why oh why oh why didnt i think of using it for this.... blinkered vision brought on by my ME is my only excuse) anyway it doesnt do a huge amount but it does clearly help knocks a 7 out of 10 pain down to 6. please when using this bit bear in mind this isnt researched (i think) for heart use it is only researched for sports perfomance and anecdotaly i can tell you it has helped me by ~ 10% in pain reduction - and no i havent completed self trials yet    
    • Posted

As far as the beet juice i have been reading the benefits of that as well. It is suppose to raise your nitric oxide level. You might be interested in the book The Nitric Oxide (NO) Solution. In fact the mutated gene that this dr is researching found that it interfers with the body producing NO and there for causes the spasms since NO is a vasodilator. That is why he suggest taking l-arginine because that is involved in the production of NO. 
    • Posted

Sheri, NO does do a lot of different useful things in the body or cause the mto happen. Thank you ref the book... a lot of my info comes from sprots medicine and is the other side of the coin so to speak... what concerns me is the arginine has to be worked on to produce NO and it that gene that codes for enzymes that do it so you can pur in tonnes (tons) of it and have only a small effect as if not enough enzyme then there wont be enough to do the work I do agree though that lack of NO may well be a contribution to the cause but for me i wonder if the roots dont lie in stress reaactions ie histamine effects and other inflamation type responses. The stress group hormones and their effects i think have a major effect, how many times on here have you read about people having stress as the starter or getting annoyed and having spasms.  Yes the NO helps recovery by relaxing blood vessels but, for me, it doesnt act as a suppresion for constriction (spasm) it always seems to act afer the event not to prevent it. having it in quantity will reduce the spasms because dilated vessels take a lot to spasm but our normal state isnt dilated vessels. (think dilated vessels = red face...) But a fascinating area for us to delve and help ourselves a bit more i agree and experimentally it has an effect.... just wish it could cure... 
    • Posted

Yes that's interesting Andrew, I wondered why my cardiologist recommended L argine for me, I wondered how it could help but she kept going on about it so I'm giving it a go, I was concerned it would make me put on weight as the picture on the outside of the container is a body builder muscleman, I don't know if it's helping or not, how can you tell, I'm not feeling well at all the past week as the heat in Queensland Australia is so humid, I do agree with you STRESS, our number one enemy, yes it is I always have an angina attack after a stressful time, my attacks often come in clusters of three which means when I am I hospital following an attack I have another 8 hours later then another so it's very frustrating, I wonder if I should try excersising more so my fitness level comes up, I don't do much at all for fear of an attack at rest, it's all very hard to know
    • Posted

Hi Lynette, i find the more i can do the better my heart is, so i have a planned rotation in my day - and it is roughly 1 hour activity, one hour sitting activity one our sprawled inactivity, repeat... sitting active is making things. activity can be simple gardening, walking.. etc. I have ME too so my planning is very careful and i still get it wrong. and somedays i really cant do anything i notice the next day and more so the day after i feel very rough with the heart... I use alivcor monitoring and so tend ot go less to A&E than i should but these days i think i might be better at home anyway. i now only go when i have to... still often enough but.... build up anything you do gradually so you are confident you are within safe limits. I think the L Arginine does help as being without it i am getting less sleep. No it wont turn you big, it is part of a bodybuilders programme along with weight lifting and a lot of other food stuffs so take it without fear from that point of view unles of course you are weightlifting in which case you will need ot add in a balance diet of amino acids...biggrin 
    • Posted

Hi Andrew, thanks for that information on the Larginine I have been taking a teaspoon every day of the powder, but yesterday I found some capsules of pure Larginie online so got two bottles, they are 500 mg though so I will have one a gay, I think with the powder it says between 2 and 20 mg a day, big difference, yes it's hard for me to know how much excersice to do as it's always too late if I overdo it, I get the attacks at rest, I have been dusting my house this morning and ni will am exhausted, hope I don't get an attack today, if I do over do things I'm laid up for two days after, it's so wonderful to have people to talk to on this forum who understand,thank you 
    • Posted

it will be interesting then if you do notice a difference - i hope there is a positive one. Exercise is a bout pacing do it when you can and like good food little and often is better than loads less frequently. Do the housework over two days not one, do a walk but look for drop out routes on the map first, oddly i now like planning routes and enjoy map reading. paln on walking to the local shop and tax / bus back (if possible) try to avoid saying (as i have done once or twice) ooooh i feel great lets go for a walk.. and spend three days going ooops. Well ok great was an exageration but... indeed i get a lot of support and additional reading and the occaisional smile off here, meakes me feel i am part of things and helps my wife know i am not just a pain but there are a lot of us being equally so...lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.