Private Doctor - Advice

Posted , 4 users are following.

After getting advice from a lady I know, I've decided to look into using a private doctor instead of my GP on the NHS. I have an underactive thyroid, a lot of them are based down in London, I'm just wondering if anyone here is with a private doctor and could answer some questions?

Is it worth it?

Do you feel better?

What changed from the NHS in regards to your medication?

Thank you!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Have you heard of Gluten and its link to thyroid disease?

If you PM me I can send you a linkk.

• Posted

Hi Andy, Thyroid UK has a list of private endocrinologists, which they will send you if you are a member. You are right that a lot of them are in London.
  • Posted

Andy, I agree with Scazzoh. Log on to tpauk website and register. From here you will be able to find out an encrinologist who will prescribe Natural Desiccated Thyroid (NDT) where it is necessary to do so.  This is the treatment that used to be used prior to the synthetic thyroxine being developed and which is the preferred treatment on the NHS. Instead of going to a private GP I went to a private endocrinologist who I was directed to by tpauk.  I feel so much better on NDT. For 20 years, I was never right on levothyroxine.  When I got to the point where I had become intolerant to it (swelling up and itching) I had no option but to investigate and find an alternative.  Wish I'd found it years ago!  To be able to prescribe NDT in the UK the GP has to prove that synthetic levothryoxine isn't working for a particular patient and has to agree that they will take personal responsibility for doing so.  Ditto endocrinologist.  In my view, due to their extra knowledge of the endocrine system, an endocrinologist is more likely to be prepared to accept this responsibility. Having said this, there is one GP I know of: Dr Peatfield, so he is worth looking up.
    • Posted

Barbara

Are you intolerant to gluten and wheat? I am at my wits end with this food intolerance business.

kind regards

Jean

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.