Private health care

Posted , 6 users are following.

Out of interest, does private health care cover the cost of venesections in the UK? Im in Australia and was surprised, pleasantly, that as it's a cancer the venesections are covered.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah, I'm in Aussie as well and going through public health, all my tests inkl jak2 /venesections etc is covered.

• Posted

Sorry sarah, I don't know. I have never known anyone here in UK who has private health care. You need to have quite a swanky job to have it. Most people just use the National Health Service, paid for out of our wages before we get our hands on it.

• Posted

Hi Sarah

The venesections are free here on the NHS.

Kind regards

Keith

• Posted

Free at the point of use, but paid for through our taxes.confused

I am still waiting for one of those "Free cash withdrawals" that the ATMs always advertise. I must be unlucky, but the cash I withdraw has been invariably been deducted from my bank balance.cry

• Posted

Maybe I should move back! Not covered by Medicare here but my health fund covers the cost after I pay $450 excess each year. Interesting, thanks for that. 😊

• Posted

Mine get covered by Medicare, I have not had private health for many years.

I'm in Queensland.

Get venesection every 6 weeks, visit my hematologist for blood study, everything are covered by Medicare.

• Posted

Hello Angela

Yes, you make a valid point in that we do pay for our NHS by National Insurance contribution. I guess in defence of our health service, we don’t have to pay through the nose though for our treatment. I have had private health insurance in the past here in the UK thankfully, paid for by the companies I have worked for and the premiums can be extortionate however, having spent time in the USA, I would say their premiums are eye watering. Some of my friends prescription medications alone vary between $300 & $600 a month. Ouch! I am thankful for our NHS as although I have paid into the system for the past 35 plus years, I am currently not working but I still have access to a comprehensive range of treatment’s and I get to see my Haematologist on a regular basis, something that I wouldn’t perhaps be able to afford or get if I was living somewhere else in the world. Not sure how much longer our NHS can continue to operate in this way and perhaps we may one day as patients have to have a supplementary health care insurance plan but I am grateful to be able to have access to it.

How are you keeping by the way?

Kind regards

Keith  

• Posted

Hello Keith

Yes, my brother, now in his 70s,  in Oz has to pay a terrible amount of money for every treatment. He is a walking medical case - bladder cancer, leukaemia, prostate cancer, you name it he has it. I am so glad that I live here and not there.

I am, as my Scottish relatives say, "doing away". You can't ask for more at my age really.biggrin

Hope you are keeping on keeping on.

All the best.

Angela

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.