Private prescription

Posted , 4 users are following.

Nexuim AstraZeneca tablet 40 mg (Esomeprazole)

My GP has told me that if I want to carry on taken these the practice will only put them on a private prescription. Are they able to do this. I have tried all the others and they don't work.

The reason given was the cost 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have tried all the others and was put on Nexium it worked. It is one of the expensive tablets I'm not sure where you are but in Australia they're $54 privately but if you have a health care card for people on benefits and pensions it costs $5.40 because the government subsidises them. B

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.. I am from England I'm 64 and although I get my prescriptions free the government here do not subsidies  once again thank you 
  • Posted

The NHS guidance is to prescribe the cheapest PPI that is effective.

Usually that is generic omeprazole. If you visit www BarrettsWessex org uk and find the Drugs page under the treatments tab, you will find the chart pictured here which shows comparative prices.

All the evidence shows all PPIs are as effective as each other when taken in comparable doses but some patients do find they respond differently to some.

Esomeprazole is controversial (as is Dexlansoprazole).

Ordinary  omeprazole and lansoprazole contain a mixture of S enantiomers and N enaniomers of the drug. (It's a bit of technical chemistry, I'm afraid. The two enantiomers are mirror images of each other but both do the same thing.)

Omeprazole was the first PPI to be produced and Astra Zeneca made a lot of money from it (to cover research and development and more). When it was reaching the stage they would lose copyright on it, they produced esomeprazole (just the S enantiomer) and claimed it was better. They funded research trials to prove it was better. (Except they compared 40mg esomeprazole against 20mg omeprazole whereas most gastroenterologists and pharmacists say it is weight for weight equivalent. Twice as much of the drug would show better results.)

Extensive advertising and agressive marketting in the US where the drugs were immediately made available over the counter without the need for a prescription, lead to esomeprazole (Nexium) becoming a best seller - though no better than cheap generic omeprazole.

When the patent on esomprazole was expiring, the company managed to persuade the British governemnt that Nexium should be available over the counter (as other, less effective, acid suppressants are - eg ranitidine).

The manufacturers of lansoprazole saw the commercial success of Astra Zeneca's action and produced Dexlansoprazole (the N enantiomer of lansoprazole) to make a similar bid. However, they didn't have the same commercial clout as AZ and when they tried to advertise it as better than ordinary lansoprazole the FDA told them it was a false claim.

In US, being available over the counter and being heavily advertised, many people started taking it when an ordinary antacid (eg Tums) would have sufficed. Because they were told it was better, if they didn't se an immediate benefit (eg because they were using them as an on-demand drug rather taking them pre-emptively on a regular daily basis), patients were taking too much.

High doses of PPIs over a prolonged period of time can cause hypochlorhydria (too little stomach acid) that can cause malabsorption of essential minerals and reduction of immunity against bacterila infection. To counter this, the FDA had to issue warnings about misuse of PPIs resulting in osteoporosis, hypomagnesaemia, increased risk of C-difficile. This has ead to PPIs getting a bit of a bad name, particulalrly in US, and people who need to be taking them not doing so.

Sorry about the long preamble. If you have tried all the cheaper drugs on the PPI list and found them all ineffective, you must ask your GP again if he or she will prescribe esomeprazole. (There is now a generic version available.) But GPs are the gatekeepers to the NHS and in charge of the budgets. If they prescribe expensive drugs, it costs their practice money.

If esomprazole is the only suitable drg for you, getting that verified from your gastroenterologist could persuade your GP - or you could try a different doctor?

• Posted

Thank you Barrett's I did understand some of what your saying and I'm back to see my consultant on the 4th February at the hospital. It was the hospital that started me on Nexium some years ago so maybe he can come up with the right answer. As Nexium works for me 👍🏻

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.