Probiotics for IBS???

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi, I really need some advice. I had really bad reflux so had an op in March to fix this (a fundoplication) . Since this I have been having trouble with my bowel so was sent for a colonscopy and was diagnosed with IBS. Due to having my surgery I am struggling to eat anyway and have lost a stone and a half (I only weight 7st 4 and I'm 25). I am struggling to control my symtoms and I am due to go back to work tomorrow on a phased return. I have been put on anti depressants to see if anxiety is leading to my bowel symptoms. I was wondering if anyone has tried probiotics in tablet form and has any suggestions on which ones I could get from Holland and Barrett perhaps ?? I know there are drinks available but with struggling to eat I prefer tablets. Thank you 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, sorry to hear that you have I.B.S. I afraid i can't help. Good luck
  • Posted

I am from Croatia and one month using vitality probiotic premium (Austria) in powder form. No progress there, but I hope that is not a publicity stunt that such products should be taken in the long term (7-8 months) to (eventually) achieve something  (suffering from IBS 11 months)..

I also heard that these beneficial bakrerije from yoghurt are useless because they are not of human origin (If anyone has more information, please report).

kind regards

• Posted

Hiya

I have done a little research into probiotics recently as I am considering a supplement of them myself...I have found out that most freeze dried or tablets forms lose alot of the live bacteria on the way to intestines because they trigger digestion so stomach acid kills alot of the live bacteria. I have found out that there are 2 good ones that have had clinical trials for use in ibs & inflammatory bowel conditions: symprove a water based product where you take just a capful once a day from a ready mixed up bottle, & vsl#3 which is a freeze dried sachet product you mix with liquid several times a day. Although vsl#3 is a freeze dried product & does lose some bacteria on way to intestines, it has been proven to deliver above average quantities of good bacteria to intestines. I suffer from colitis, ibs-d, bile acid malabsorption & fructose malabsorption; whilst alot of my symptoms are currently controlled by meds, I still have problems with extreme chronic bloating/discomfort, waves of nausea, easy tiredness, & ibs type twisting pain/discomfort in the gut after eating. I see my gastro consultant next month & intend to ask him about trying a probiotic to help with remaining symptoms, & in particular these 2 products mentioned in case he has had any experience of use in other patients. These 2 products are expensive but my personal research of probiotics lead me to see they are the most effective products. I also thought, if I try one of these after seeing my consultant, I may not even need to take the full dose to get benefit - they both contain high quantities of good bacteria. If you google both products, you can look at their websites for more info. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thank so much for your reply, it was really helpful. I'm also going to see my consultant at the end of next month so I will ask him and do some research in the mean time on what you have suggested. If you get any news on what's best to take etc I would be really grateful if you could let me know. Thanks!!! smile
    • Posted

Hi

I just saw my doctor yesterday as I have been suffering from a bad bout of IBS that took me out of work for two weeks now. He told me to take probiotics in addition to an antispasmodic and imodium when I need it. I spent the last two weeks in the bathrom. I have taken them in the past. I take the capsule type. I also have questionable divertivulitis. I took myself off all soluble carbs. Like breads pastas etc. I can't digest them. They turn into bulk in my intestine. This is my 2nd day. So far so good.

Vivian

• Posted

Sorry to go off topic but regarding the operation you had - what were your symptoms - how bad were they and have they stopped after the op ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.