Problem with post op screws?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone I had scarf osteotomy+ 5th metatarsal + reverse scarf over a year ago.I also have had sesamoid bone removed 6 years previous to this op due to osteoarthritis which i`ve had for over 25 yrs..I have been so happy to get rid of the bunion pain I had and all seemed well until a month or so ago..I was back in shoes & boots I had problems with before surgery but something seems to have changed!.My big toe has 2 screws in and dont seem to have a problem with those although my toe is quite rigid and doesn`t bend very well but that could be because of sesamoid being removed previously,the surgeon wasn`t sure how it would heal without it as it seems it`s needed for helping recovery.My toe now has a lump where bunion was and toe not as straight as it was after op but have no pain as yet.The big problem I have is below the little toe I have a small lump where the screw is but didn`t cause me much bother until recently.It would rub a bit in enclosed shoes so was a bit limited on how far I could walk but when I took shoes off the pain would go..Not sure why but now I can`t wear any closed shoe only fit flops if I touch the side of my foot near the screw the pain is crippling and i`m unable to move for a few minutes it takes my breath away,even my duvet hurts and unable to even wear socks.I am in process of referral for this and have had x-rays done.I have hospital appt on 2nd October at foot and ankle clinic have had to make appt at different hospital as my local hospital can`t see me until the end of November.I have had 4 operations in the last 4 years all due to arthritis and also may need knee replacement(waiting to see orthopedics for that)as well.I`m just curious if this has happened to anyone else a year after surgery.May be nerve damage I really dont know even if my trousers rub against it i`m in agont for a few minutes till it calms down..Very difficult only being able to wear fit flops especially in rain and weather getting colder too so i`m pretty much housebound until I find out what`s actually gone wrong and can it be fixed by removing the screw.Thanks for reading any ideas or help much apprieciatted..

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Wow honestly I haven't had this problem,  I am only 8 weeke post op, I think you are doing the right thing staying home and waiting to see surgeon, I would try to stay out of closed shoes when I am home, good luck with everything, 
    • Posted

Thank you Mary it`s just a bit disappointing now as I thought all had gone so well up till now.I cant even put my foot in a shoe as soon as anything touches side of my foot I jump and the pain is like nothing i`ve ever experienced and ive had lots of surgery over the years.Really hoping it`s not nerve damage as from what i`ve read there`s not much they can do about that(unless someone else knows different).Don`t fancy winter in fit flops have really bad osteoarthritis as it is.I will be staying home without shoes until I know more.Hope you`re recovery going well and best wishes for the future..
  • Posted

Sound like nerves because I get them also, and the pain is unbearable, it feels like you are getting electric shocks, I know, hang in there to your appointment, you are in my prayers.🙏😉

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.