Problems after Gallbladder removal

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I'm new to this site and am hoping someone out there can shed some light on my horrid symptoms..... I had my gallbladder removed 2 weeks ago after 2 years of pain etc. Consultant found a lot of sludge in it but no sizeable stones but felt confident that it needed to come out in the hope that it solved some of my digestive problems.

just to "set the scene" I've had 2 years of problems, beginning with central upper abdominal,pain and reflux, constant burping, pain radiating through to my back, bloating, problems with fatty foods and also loads of other things. I've had CT scans, endoscopy, ultrasounds of abdomen and internal ultrasound, countless blood tests which were all clear and finally an endoscopic ultrasound that found the gallbladder sludge which resulted in the surgery. I take 20mg Omeprazole daily having previously tried Ranitidine which caused terrible constipation hence switching to Omeprazole

2 weeks post surgery and the problems persist and are in fact worse.  I can't eat anything without getting pain in my stomach area within minutes along with a burning sensation there and under my right rib.  This gets really bad by the end of the day and I struggle to sleep having to prop myself up on 4 pillows in an attempt to get comfortable. I can hardly touch the area around my upper incision and feel awful dragging pain if I try to pick up anything even slightly heavy.

i went back to my GP yesterday who tells me she thinks it's muscle pain from the surgery and to rest for a further week.  I'm sure there's more to it and having seen all of the posts on here from people in pain post surgery I am worried that I am yet another person who is worse off post op.  

Any ideas would be most appreciated as I get the feeling my GPs (you never see the same one as its a big practice) think I'm making it up as all of my test etc have been clear and I don't know how to proceed. 2 years ago I was a completely fit and healthy single  Mum who did everything with her kids from abseiling to kayaking and now I struggle to manage a bike ride. Please help! 

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi lizzypip so sorry your suffering like this two weeks isn't long really after major surgery what you have to remember is that all your insides will be badly bruised! I was told not to do any lifting for a least four weeks and then I saw the Consultant six weeks after and was told all was OK so I think your trying to hurry the healing process up too fast just take it easy try a low fat diet for now xxxxx
    • Posted

Thank you that's good advice😊. Maybe I'm being a little impatient but when you're pacing the floors in the early hours in a lot of pain it's easy to get worried! 
  • Posted

good advice from sandynan, yes your only 2 weeks postsurgery so try taking it easy and please dont lift anything heavy as quite a few of us including myself have now got hernia's either before surgery or after it. one woman who had her operation got a hernia just from stretching over to open her car door. and i also got one as well and i'v not had my gallbladder removed. i do think they realize just how bad the pain is even although the test may come back clear. as everyone i know has terrible pain and the dotor at the emergency hospital even told me to come back if i got more pain. they gave me pain killers. which are a good help. all the very best to you dear. keep your chin up and take it easy. love cheeky🌺
    • Posted

Thank you so much for replying and I will certainly heed the advice re lifting as definitely don't want any further problems! Maybe I've got unrealistic expectations re recovery times so will try to be more patient! x

• Posted

Recovery period is 3 weeks if keyhole surgery and 6 weeks if you have the bigger operation. They should have told you that when they discharged you. They should also have given you information leaflets.

We are all different and this recovery period is therefore only a guideline.

I had my gallbladder removed at end of April 2015.

I am certainly better than I was (not worse off) but I still have pain in my right side sometimes. I have recently been diagnosed with a hiatus hernia and possibly also have ibs, but these things are liveable with.

Hope this setlles down.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Thanks for that Sarah, am so glad to hear that you've had a positive experience😊. I will wait a while and hope that things gradually improve....

• Posted

Hi

Lizzy pip

I had surgery done 8th Jan lm still off sick as tummies still not right it depends on the person everyone is individual in healing process . My Dr thinks I may have had a small bleed in my tummy I was readmitted 3 days later swollen legs and felt awful nothing was found. I wasn't told not to lift anything no advise at all wen we left. Just take things easy and do wat u feel able to do in your own time

Hope you feel better soon

Judy

• Posted

Hi Judy, thank you for responding and I'm very sorry to hear that you are still unwell also.

can I ask what sort of pain you are in as you say in your tummy...I have awful pain in the stomach area which is much worse after eating, are your symptoms similar?

Wishing you a speedy recovery too 

• Posted

my tummy feels like there is butterflies in it and I can't lie down flat have to prop myself up in bed.

It's hard to explain the feeling I get but the Dr did say it can take months to heal.

Kind regards

Judy

• Posted

Thanks Judy, yes, I understand that feeling as I have it too but also a lot of intense pain which is what is worrying me. Oh well, guess I need to be patient and hope it improves for both of us very soon. 

Take care 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.