Problems swallowing, GP believes it is anxiety but...

Posted , 46 users are following.

For the last year I have had severe problems swallowing, anything more than soup, porridge or tinned mince and powdered potatoes causes me terrible problems, I have lost 6 stone in this whole year. I have been for endoscopy -clear, barium swallow-clear- and a stomach scan which is also clear. problem is that for example, I tried to eat a mushy and very mild vegetable curry and that was it, I was off, burping, forced burping because I feel like something is trapped in my throat, this is severe as I start to spasm and feel like I am choking to death. This also occurs after eating my usual shepherds pie with the above ingredients.

If it is anxiety it is only brought on by not being able to eat- I used to eat a lot, all kinds of food, now it is just the above. My Gp said she believes it to be anxiety, but like last night, 20 minutes after eating and burping, the food literally comes back up by itself, I cannot stop this, I wish to eat! I choke and splutter, become very light headed and disorientated along with a strange feeling as if I am walking on air.. or air filled balloons.

I also tend to have a metallic taste in my mouth which is horrid, constant lump in the throat, I ate porridge this morning and have been gaseous ever since, along with other odd symptoms as my eyesight has become worse over the last year, I am insanely itchy all the time, especially under my right shoulder blade.. this is really intense.

I was however on Simvistatin for a while and had the nasty side effects like carpal tunnel, this also supposedly may cause problems with swallowing, I stopped them four weeks ago and the carpal tunnel has gone and the majority of all the other symptoms, except with I just cannot eat anything solid, I have chickens and used to have a couple of eggs every day, now I loathe the strange taste of the egg white.. I am 50 years of age and honestly feel that I shall not be around much longer.

Any advice would be welcome, I have an appointment on the 31st March with a consultant whom I believe is going to go through all the tests with me.. I am afraid if they say it is anxiety as I feel like my problem is not in the mind but is physical.

Thank you for taking the time to read.

1 like, 94 replies

94 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I forgot to add that I have to go to the loo up to 30 times a day and have constant chest infections over the last 18+ months, I am just trying to get over a really bad virus, two lots of antibiotics over 3 weeks and my chest is still not clear, also, on occasions I also slur my speech and cannot think of words.
  • Posted

I am not sure about the various symptoms except for the throwing up. My daughter started with that and lost a ton of weight. The first doctor we saw was convinced it was stress. It wasn't obviously. We just made a decision as a family that we knew our child better than the doctor and pressed on until we got answers. Good luck. I feel for you.
  • Posted

I don't recognise some of these symptoms - itching, going to the loo a lot - from my own experience with achalasia or from ones reported on this forum. We're all different though. However, have they ruled out an allergy? When they gave you a barium swallow was your oesophagus in spasm at the time? When you have problems swallowing how far down does the food get? Does it reach your stomach and come back up from there?
  • Posted

No my esophagus was not in spasm at the time, it does not spasm swallowing liquids,well not entirely, the food reaches my adams apple area and feels as if it is stuck, once I have got it down, it is barely 20 minutes before it regurgitates itself, this does not occur with porridge, soup or the makeshift shepherds pie.. which I am sick to death of! I cannot eat bread, fresh potatoes in any form or fresh veg, only the horrid tinned stuff which is mushy, even eating the shepherd pie takes me half an hour.
  • Posted

Hi there, I am sorry to hear about all your problems......the symptons do not entirely fit with Achalasia (which I have) i know you dont think it is anxiety but the mind is a powerful tool.

I have had severe depression and a symptom of this is what someone called the throat monster! you are unable to swallow .food gets stuck etc. weight loss occurs obviously as your appetite is also affected.

it does sound however as if something else far more serious is going on and I feel that something is being missed.

Just persevere and you will find out your problem.....hope its soon for you.

• Posted

Hi Janski in the past week I've all of a sudden been experiencing difficulty swallowing my food. This is new to me and it causes me to panic when the food I've chewed up and gone to swallow only makes it to the middle of my throat then it's as if my brain doesn't put out the signal to swallow a second time bc the muscles that allows me to swallow don't work all of a sudden!?? So then I begin to panic bc I have food stuck in the middle of my throat. After a minute of beating my chest and continuing to proceed with swallowing, my throat finally acts right and allow me to swallow again. It's soo crazy bc I'm disturbed about this and have already made a Dr appt! Do you think this could be an affect of an anxiety attack more so than something serious!? I'm such a hypochondria and have been stressing all week about this!! I've already lost my appetite in just a weeks time bc I'm scared to eat something and then it gets stuck and I'm not able to swallow period after it gets stuck. I can see where if this issue isn't resolved soon I'll be 30lbs lighter in a month from starving!😔😔
    • Posted

Hi Karla    

I am sorry you are feeling this ....its horrid I know!

You need to ask for a Barium swallow this will diagnose the condition you have.

Good luck 

• Posted

Hi Janski,

I have had difficulties swallowing my food for the past two years and the doctors have put it down to anxiety as it began when i first started experiencing severe depression. I like your term the "throat monster" as this is exactly what it is!! Can i ask you how do you cope with it?

• Posted

You might also find it helpful to download 'A Patinet's Guide to Achalasia' through Free e-books, or the website of the oesophageal patients Association

• Posted

Hi there,

i have been looking up achalasia and it isnot pleasant reading!! Are you a sufferer yourself? I am a bit different in the sense that i have huge difficulties swallowing liquids but not so much difficulty swallowing food but when i eat and drink together it is tricky. i think i need to return to the doctors.

• Posted

No, but I help run an Achalasia support group in London. If you are able to get by with sipping small quantities of water would that help?
    • Posted

Hi AlanM,

Yes i am trying the small sips and it does help.

I read the material you mentioned on the oesophageal patients association,thankyou. I am lying low with flu at the moment but when i recover i am going to visit my doctor as he thinks it is all in my head.

Thanks ,

Mary​

• Posted

Hi,

Yes I am a sufferer from Achalasia with Cardio Spasms. So after you go through the testing and there are only 3 test that will give you the answers. Then get involved with a group that has good interaction. Because we all have it but there are various symptoms and advancements. In the States FB is a good way to start and I can get you info on groups. I for instance can drink fluids but can't down breads and meats easily. I wish you well and please do send me a friend request. Jamie Moore and a giraffe is my face!

• Posted

Oh I must tell you that if your doctor thinks it's in your head FIRE him. Manometry, Barium swallow and EDG are the test. This is a disease without cure and get ahold of NORD. These are rare disease supporters. Only one in 200k people get our disease.

• Posted

Hi Maryclare,

As it is a symptom of anxiety and depression it does fade in time. 

Divert your attention to other things if possible, If it is Achalasia however it is a different matter.

Being able to swallow my food down with this condition is sometimes a

nightmare. I talk myself through it that it always goes down in the end!

Information is powerful and energising.....do research all that you can.

best of luck

Janski 

• Posted

Hi Janski,

many thanks for all your very useful advice. I really do appreciate it. I am lying low with the flu at present but will return to the doctor when i get over this and ask for a referral. As you say yoursef, information is powerful and energising!

Bless you

Maryclare

• Posted

Hi Jamie,

Many thanks for all your great advice. I will take it on board and will stay in touch.

Many thanks,

Mary Clare

• Posted

Hi Janski,

you mention that as it is a symptom of anxiety and depression it does fade in time, that is reassuring!! I have had my symptoms since my depression began, then they faded but now are back with a vengence. Are you on fb? Id really like to keep in touch as we share common conditions, ie depression. Would you be up for more contact? Hopefully so as i feel like you that information is power and sharing increases our knowledge.

Bless you,

Mary Clare

• Posted

counselling that's what I'm having to do as I have the same problem I have a endoscopy tomorrow and hopefully that will say what's wrong with me also stress is a very big part of it

hope you get sorted soon

• Posted

Tension does affect the nerves and muscles, sometimes where there is a point of some form of weakness.   So even when people do have surgical treatment, it always helps if they can relax around food and swallowing, something that is easier said than done.   But many people do find complementary therapies and relaxation techniques helpful, and if it helps to clarify things and reduce stress, counselling could well help also.

?Achalasia is associated with how the nerve endings driving the swallowing muscles operate, rather than the muscles themselves, and it would be helpful to share that with your counsellor.

• Posted

Hi aaron56708,

Hi aaron, i hope your procedure went well, aaron.

Hopefully they can get to the root of the problem, it is not pleasant at all.

Keep in touch.

Maryclare1

• Posted

hi Mary I didn't go through with ittttt as I had a anxiety and panic attack I was in hysterics but rebooked for the 20th this month I'm so terrified of being awake I'll keep you up to date

• Posted

Hi aaron56708,

I am so sorry to hear that you could not proceed with the procedure.

It would be really terrifying, it would be so much easier to be asleep for it.

I am glad that you rebooked.

From now until then you can practise your breathing and chat to your counseller, they will help you cope with the anxiety.

I went to the dentist yesterday, i was there in January and could hardly sit in the chair as i was so anxious. I was told i needed fillings and kept cancelling my appointment.

I went yesterday and i was dreading it, i practised my breathing and got through it.

Now i know this is not on the same level as your procedure but it was huge for me.

You will be able to do this, aaron.

Keep in touch.

Mary clare1

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.