Sulfasalazine problems with mood swings

Posted , 3 users are following.

was on this drug for three months and it nearly cost me my marriage as my wife said it changed my personality, it also affected my libido and this has still not come back to normal. Changed to asacol and was a changed person for the better but still have erectile problems

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have also been on sulfasalazine for about 4 months. I have had some mood swings which include feelings of insecurity & mistrust of others. sad

i will be seeing my rheumatologist soon so i will report on what he says.

• Posted

Yes... Sulfasalazine 500mg 2 to 3 times a day causes me headaches and changes my mood for the worse. I started 09/23/09... I started with 1 a day no problems... Moved upto 2 doses, occassional headaches, move upto 3 and constant headaches in the back of my head. Only been on for 8 weeks so far... In the past I could be grumpy when I miss a meal or missing a coffee... But lately I have been grumpy with everything... I actually have to fight myself from loosing my patience and at I times I can't be bothered with doing anything because I am tired. My wife is a superwoman so no complaints here... but it depresses me I can not improve my situation. :?
  • Posted

I managed to get to 4 500 mg tablets a day before i stopped treatment promptly

up until that dose level i had had disturbed dreams, difficulty sleeping, nausea, no inclination to eat what so ever, stomache pain, thirst and anxiety

however as the dose went up the aggitated sensation and anxiety worsened in line with dose increase

I would get waves of inexplicable anger for no reason became intolerant of anyone in my vicinity which swung to bouts of crying and depression

I took the decision to discontinue treatment when i woke up in an angry mood literally before my eyes were open i was seething angry with no reason for it

I started to think about killing myself or injuring others none of which is a thought pattern that ever enters my head

This drug totally changed my personality in a very short space of time and I had no control over it

If you are already stressed or anxious you should be careful of this drug

i stopped taking this 5 days ago and I am now far happier and getting back to my old self there is still occasional flashes of anger and impatience but nothing like it was

the general public are once more safe

*phew*

• Posted

My husband took sulfasalazine and responded well after 3 years meds stopped for 5 years. He started

again 1yr ago age 46yrs and his libido, erectile function and mood have all altered along with hair loss.

He has started drinking and flirting and is also low in mood. Now I don't know if the sulfasalazine is contributing to it or whether it is just mid-life crisis. Our marriage is on the brink after 29years. I've asked him to come off them for 2months and see how he feels or should he just try and change to an alternative medication? The problem is he won't discuss his sex drive with a doctor. I know sperm count reduces but

combined with aging does this contribute to low libido? For 28yrs have had a good sex life.

• Posted

Ive been on this med for just over 6 weeks. Having already been on citalopram for anxiety with no issues for over 6 months my anxiety has worsened out of the blue. I feel tired and spaced out all the time and struggle to find words when communicating with others. It is like i am stuck in a dumb zombie like state. I have also had the same type of anger!

I have also been getting terrible headaches and rarely ever get a headache. Think i will be taking myself of this as of tomorrow!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.