Progress following total hip replacement

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had a right THR on March 16th this year. I have been extremely pleased with the results as am now not experiencing the pain I was in before the op and I am able to walk up to 4 miles without pain with my beautiful lab. My problem is, which I am hoping people on this site may be able to advise me on, is that I am still having difficulty bending down, as in reaching down to pick items up off the floor. This is causing me difficulty walking my dog without company as I am struggling to pick up after her during our walk. I am not sure if it is apprehension on my behalf as it is still stiff and painful when I try to bend and I am only 10 weeks post op and concerned I may do damage to the surgery or whether the muscles have not repaired completely, in which case are there any physio exercises I could do to improve the mobility in my operated left leg? Appreciate any advice that could be given so I can continue to enjoy my recovery fully. I am due to have a left THR next year when fully recovered from this surgery which is probably contributing to my problem.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Are you allowed to stretch your hamstrings yet? Chech with your physiotherapist about what you can and are not allowed to do. As a stopgap, try bending forward on your "good" leg, lifting your operated leg straight out behind you. Imagine what a golfer does when he bends over to pick up a ball. Hopefully, your supporting leg, back and abs are strong enough to support you. If not, try using a cane for balance.
    • Posted

Hi thanks for reply, I will try the golfer pick up. My unoperated leg is not too strong as I am waiting to have that hip replaced but it is certainly worth a try. I have been trying to bend from the waist straight down but scared of damaging hip or back in doing so. Appreciate your advice.
    • Posted

You could try a backwards lunge and keep the foot of your unoperated leg on the ground. I do a combo of both whenever I drop something.
  • Posted

Yoy are doing amazing by the sounds of it. Im 7 weeks, still on 2 crutches.

I was advised to still not bend down but when i do i put my operated leg pushed out behind. Maybe try doing that and see ic it works out for you.

Its amazing your able to walk 4 miles a day. I coant even imagine me ever being able to do that at the moment so well done you

• Posted

Thanks Sarah, I am pleased with my progress, think having a dog to walk has made me push myself as needed to walk her everyday as soon as I could. Don't be hard on yourself though, everyone progresses at different rates. Take each day as it comes and you will get there. Just the bending down which I am struggling with but will see if the physio can perhaps give me exercises that may help. Good luck with your continued recovery.
    • Posted

Thankyou. I need to remember to go easy on myself, my surgery was complex (took 7 hours) and im still partical weightbaring but it frustrates me when i see everyone else doing amazingly. I really admire how well your doing. Keep it up and i hope the physio can help you haha xx
    • Posted

Sounds like your surgery was more complex so your recovery will be slower than mine and others you are probably reading about. Listen to your body and look after yourself. x
  • Posted

Still very early days it will come I was at least 16 weeks post op before I could bend probably..take care
  • Posted

One of the precautions that I was told NOT to do is to bend way over YOU RISK THE CHANCE OF DISLOCATE YOUR HIP. Also not to stand pigeon toe and not to cross your legs at the knees. If I were you I would consult with your orthopedic doctor.
  • Posted

Lynn, I am going into my 6th week so early days for me but walking on 1 crutch so I am rather pleased. If you have an email address I am happy to scan in and send you the exercises that my physio has given me to do at home. They are exactly what I do with her when I go. My physio gave me a picture printout on my first visit.

If anyone else would like a copy just email me!

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hi Lyn

Had my op on 4th March and have to do the golfers bend to pick stuff up , including my labs offerings ! She's chocolate and beautiful but pulls too badly on the lead for me to walk her on my own . I've now had 3 hip surgeries and can only bend to pick stuff up by doing the golfers dip , can't do my toenails either but just have pedicures 😀.sounds like you are doing really well - well done you ! Xxx

• Posted

Hi,thanks for posting. I have tried the golfers pick up this morning and can manage as long as I have something to hold on for support but if the item is away from any support I struggle. I think my unoperated leg is weak due to arthritis so struggle to balance unsupported on it. My lab pulls as well but am able to walk her as she responds if I tell her to get back. She is a work in progress, a bit like me! Wishing you continued improvement as you recover xx
    • Posted

Hi Lynn, I'm still pre-op (8th June ) but have bought myself a long handled poop-scoop ready for when I'm able to start walking my dog! Amazon sell them x
    • Posted

Thanks for that will have a look. Might be just the thing while I am gaining improvement of movements.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.