Prolapsed Disc never ending problems!

Posted , 7 users are following.

It  is really comforting to know that there is others who understand the fustraition of this back pain.

Im only 24 and have been dealing with this on and off back pain for a good few years..  usually after a week of bed rest the pain soon eases off.

About a month ago the pain was horrendous leaving me bed bound for 3 weeks after going to A+E and my GP numerous times all they could offer was a load of painkillers which were just numbing my mind!  the MRI had shown a slipped disc and nothing was helping! 

I finally had the spinal epidural which had helped alot ! however going back to work has just brought me back 3 paces again. i had to cut my hours and now unfortuanly am unable to do my job as it is too physical .( beauty therapy) it has caused me to shake and not feel well.

it has completly ruined my carrear which i have come so far after alot of different training and i am back to square one

can anyone suggest anything to help? or to help ease the pain at all?  it is just so fustraiting.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lindsay, i'm so sorry to hear how bad things are for you. I got great relief with gabapentin

It works on nerve pain. Osteopathy also helped me and if you can find a training school you might be able to get treatment very cheaply. Good luck. Dianne

• Posted

Wow your reallly young, which sucks but if you have insurance or are getting it maybe you should find a very good spinal orthapedic surgon and see if it is possible to repair .I would do your homework and use one of those websites that show the background for your doctor . At least this way you know exactly whats wrong and what your options are.
  • Posted

Hi lindsay66979, sorry to hear about your pain and I sympathise! What meds' are you taking, how often and at what dosage? I am so pleased that the spinal epidural worked for you as it's not always successful. Being as you are young, probably a combination of medication, a good Osteopath and some Pilates based exercises to strengthen your core would be my top recommendations.

Sorry to hear about your work situation too sad Update us with your current medications/dosages & I'm sure that myself & the others will have a few suggestions for you!

Best wishes,

Kim

• Posted

Keep taking the epidural steroid injections for as long as they work. Eventually, you may find that they stop being as effective, but I certainly found them useful. I found that they lasted a few weeks to a couple of months or so. Sorry to hear about the work situation. Another reason to complain to your GP/Consultant as this is affecting your earning power.
  • Posted

Mine started around your age I'm 43 now and it's been good and very bad with backache found a good physio and a good Gp are you taking any painkillers I also take aamitriptyline 30mg for sleeping which works wonders the only bad thing is you put weight on and have a hangover the next day 

I use a hot water bottle which helps 

• Posted

Hello agaIn Lindsay, After losing my job when I just couldn't sit, I was a secretary, I eventually applied for disability living allowance and was awarded it but not without a fight. I was refused at first but appealed. The fact that the injection worked is hopeful as it means they have found the right spot. That's what I'm hoping for anyway when I have it done again on the 15th.
  • Posted

Hi   thank you for getting back to me,

since my last post i have had to change occupation which at the start really helped unfortunetly the pains have started and the sciatica has come back... i get up and walk around but i dont want to moan as started new job!

Hospital have reffered to physio which is just not helping .. starting to get fed up with it now. .. !

when the pain starts i find it very hard to concentrate and start to get abit cloudy? does anyone else get this too?

• Posted

If you do need an operation have a Neurosurgeon do it. I had two operations for my back the first was by an  orthapedic surgon the relief lasted about 13 months then it was back with a vengencel. I then saw a Neurosurgeon I haven't looked back since. If the pain is still there after two months consider an operation. I had a load of treatments before my operations which did nothing the phisio made it worse, My leg is now numb and has been for the last 15 years if I had had the operation before those treatments the damage to my Sciatic nerve my not have been as bad. I can walk and do all the normal things but the numbness is something I have to live with. With what I know now if an operation had been offered to me earlier I would have taken it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.