Prolia - Opinions?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been advised to start Prolia....  any thoughts?  I was diagnosed 24 years ago and have been on a wide gamut of the meds....  choosing for MANY years to not use the meds.  I was on Forteo for 2 years, and have been off for 2 years....  have a decline again....  I am scared to death to try Prolia because of what I've read.  Anybody here mind giving their 2 cents??  Thanks...

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I considered taking Prolia but after careful consideration decided not to. What I would base my decision on includes not needing teeth extracted in the future. I would look at how bad my t scores were and they would need to be very bad to even consider starting Prolia.

You have no control for six months at a time.

Do extensive research of your own and know it is okay to pause long enough to feel sure it is the best way for you.

what are your t scores?

• Posted

Lumbar spine   -2.1

Mean proximal femur -1.3

Mean femur neck -1.4

They were a LOT worse a few years ago...and hips have declined especially since 2 years ago.  Forteo caused a wonderful increase.  But, I hear you, Kathleen, 100%.  I want to have a panic attack at the thought of taking it......  

I'm almost thinking of telling her I want to wait...  getting thyroid checked because it is appearing there is a problem there.  She even ordered an ultrasound.  I'm donig bioidentical hormone therapy.. just started a few months ago... and I'm working on healing my gut, and eating healthy so that nutrients can absorb....  I would like to keep doing these things and see if it makes a difference....  

• Posted

Those results are not even osteoporosis so a definite no to taking Prolia.

They are osteopenia only and no drug should even be considered.

Try the natural route for a start. Take VitaminD3, vitamin K2, zinc, magnesium, calcium if needed, and foods that help include prunes, avocados and kiwi fruit.

Exercise like walking if able.

• Posted

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!  

My Vit. D levels are superb (I have taken D3 for years!)... JUST read about K2 on here and I now have some....  doing good with zinc, magnesium, and calcium... got all those in place.  Just started back on prunes a few weeks ago... eat avocado regularly... will add Kiwi!  

I have an exercise class I go to twice a week... wish it were more often.  It's perfect.. low impact... but we use small weights and bands...  I also walk when the weather is nice (not enough)...

Thank you, Kathleen, for the assurance... I think the fear has been since it went backwards this time that it is going the wrong way, BUT, it doesn't mean that it is there though, and that's what I have to remember....  I had -3 and even a -4 number when I was first diagnosed... and there is always the fear of going back there....  

• Posted

I think we need to consider the strength of our bones too. My bones are very tiny but they must be strong as have survived several falls in recent years.

Think of all the people who do not not check their bone density and live in happy ignorance lol!

We worry because we have these numbers.

• Posted

You might like to check out other threads like strong bones one that gives good ideas from people like Anhaga and Aristotle who are researching and building their own plans to improve their bones.

Allison is also very good. She does a lot of research.

• Posted

Exactly!! Wish I were in that blessed ignorance!!  Oh well.. I'm sure in the long run it's good to know.........  I've not taken a fall, but do have small bones.  

Originally, in '92 it showed up on an x-ray.  After the birth of my 3rd child, I was having unbearable pain... thought it was just from getting used to lifting a baby in and out of the bathtub, etc....  again...  NOPE...  severe bone loss....  I couldn't even lift her for many months...  Took Calcitonin injections and had amazing increase and the pain began to subside....  thank the Lord!!!  So thankful that 24 years later, I'm still doing pretty dern good!!!!  

• Posted

Okay, good......  I'll do that...... I think that's the one I've tried to reply in, and have included no-no's on accident and have had my posts deleted...  rolleyes
    • Posted

How old are you, Jill? I am 71 but sounds like you are much younger.
    • Posted

I'm only 54.  Was diagnosed when I was 30.  

Also, wanted to say thank you for asking what my T-scores were because when I copied them over, even then... It kind of woke me up and made me realize that even though they have gone backwards, they are still not too bad.  My mother is 80 and I think her bones are better than mine.  BUT, she is not small boned like I am. I take after my Paternal Grandmother.  

• Posted

I'm in the U.S.  There seem to be a lot of countries represented here!
    • Posted

It's really hard to know what's going to be censored.  I do understand some things, but other things seem rather arbitrary.  I've even been told not to discuss the problem in public forum as it's off topic.  Anyway,  I second everything Kathleen said about how you only need to look after your bones through natural means - diet and appropriate exercise.  Drugs should never be the first line treatment for osteopenia or even borderline (possibly even more) osteoporosis.
  • Posted

Hi Jill !

I am 60 and I am taking Prolia. I haven't had any side effects. I'm happy with it. I started taking it after having a very severe ankle break. That's how I found out I had the dreaded bone disease. I would like to add. I was a gym junkie, power walked, lifted weights etc. I also have taken calcium tablets for years. I go out in the sun and take Vitamin D, magnesium and vitam K. If anyone was doing the right thing it was me. The people who know about my condition are shocked. I'm only small boned too but I've read where the slimmer framed women are more prone to the disease. Anyway I am 9 months down the track and stick having problems with my ankle and I've had to say goodbye to the gym and a lot of things. I'm sorry but with what I've been through I'm more than happy to take Prolia as I truly have been to hell and back with this injury and some days I have trouble walking. It's just not worth the risk for me. 🙂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.