Propranolol

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys,

I have suffered with migraines since i was 11 (i'm now 28). I had a period the last 2 or so years that i didn't have any and they have recently come back with a vengeance and i now have 1 or 2 a week.

I get the full shabang with mine - loss of vision and speech, confusion, vomiting etc, cannot do anything but lie in bed.

Anyway, sorry to waffle on. I have been prescribed propranolol today and wondered if anyone else had had any success with it?!

I also have rheumatoid arthritis and on a crap load of medication for that, so i really just need some good news about something going right?!

Thanks in advance x

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey,

I first had my first HM when I was 17. I was playing High School baseball. My hand went numb. I had no clue what was happening. I then had Aura. This had never happened. I told my parents what happened and they said well you probably just got a migraine and you will be fine. Well I wasn’t. They continued. Every month. My friends would always joke and say you always have headaches. Fast forward to about 6 years later when I went to a Neurologist who did MRI's, CT scans and could find nothing wrong. He had no clue what my symptoms were. He said well I’m going to give you Imitrex. Which is one of the worst things for HM. That didn’t do anything. I was prescribed 3 other medications. All Beta blockers, nothing helped. Well I moved from Arizona to Idaho 6 years ago. I met with my Family Dr. I explained my symptoms and he said that is HM. I said are you sure. Because I had looked this up on internet and self-diagnosed myself.  He said yes. I am going to put you on Topamax. (Dopamax) HAHA. Well I was on that for about 2 years. I started to get really foggy. I was starting to forget things. I was starting to fail at work. I wasn’t sure what was really going on until I researched what Topamax can do. So I came off of them. Side effects never went away. Then I went on Propranolol. That didn’t help either. That was 4 years ago. Last June I was introduced to a Medical device from my father. Being a skeptic I never paid much attention to it. Fast forward to February of 2016. When I thought nothing could get worse it did. I was put in the hospital due to having 4 HM same day back to back. I have had 2 in one day multiple times before. But this was different. I had 4 all in the same day. Consecutive, I thought I was not going to make it. I was terrified. 33 years old wife and kid and I was going to be gone. So the Hospital gave me medication to go to sleep and when I awoke I had the worst headache ever. I stayed in bed for 2 days. I spoke with my father and I will never forget his words. " Son will you please let me help you?" So I had this device now and started to use it. Twice daily 8 minutes at a time. in the first 2 months I experienced 2 HM. However, symptoms had decreased by 50%. Since then I have had 2 more HM. Symptoms now are down 75%. To the point where I can actually still function. I can still work and still have everyday stuff happening. I know longer need to go to sleep and let them pass. So here I am, a sufferer of 14 years and going from at least 16-24 HM per year to 4 that have decreased symptoms in almost 8 months. I am just trying to introduce a device to the community that may be able to help our Community.

• Posted

The Device is just BEMER. But the vascular deals with the blood flow in the micro vessels in your body
    • Posted

Nope i was sleeping, its 2am here. Will look at it in the morning, thank you
    • Posted

I'vr had a look, not only hard to get here but a ridiculous price! I am a uni student and a single parent, there is not that kind of money!

But i'm glad it is working for you!

• Posted

Always check things out with the Migraine Trust before parting with loads of cash. That device might work for some but hasnt got good reviews.
  • Posted

Hi Sarah. I was on Propranolol for a few years along with Sumatriptan which enabled me to have a life. But then had complications and had to come off both. I would give it a try. I take it your GP or Neurologist approved it with your other meds in mind?
    • Posted

Yes i am assured no interaction on any. I'n not sure i'd notice to be honest i get such bad side effects from the others!

I do find sumitriptan good but obviously only works when i have a migraine.

I was on atenolol in the past and that didn't work, so heres hoping to this one!

Last year of my degree and a 4 year old to look after, i need something to!

Thank you for your message

• Posted

Proplanolol reduced my migraine slightly but I still had Aura which caused leg weakness amongst other things. What triggers your migraine?
    • Posted

No idea, never have known unfortunately. Did all the usuals of cutting things out etc.

And nothing has changed lately!

• Posted

I did that too years ago but mine are diwn to stress and the environment, lights, weather, smells etc.
  • Posted

I've had migraines since the age of 12. And am now a 43 year old guy. Guess they started at 12 due to puberty and hormones etc. Been in medications all my life. I can't take triptans as I'm allergic to them so the dr about 12 years ago put me on propranolol 10 mg take one three times a day plus codeine phosphate 30mg 1-2 four times a day. Neither helped much. And the only escape was bed for three days.

About 8 years ago I went back as they were getting worse again and more frequent. The dr put me on 40mg propranolol 3 times a day. They have helped with the proferlaxis of migraines but doesn't always prevent them. Propranolol has helped me a little. The only thing is it made me gain 3 stone so I'm doing slimming world to try and lose that.

I went back about 4 months ago as the duration of my migraines and frequency got less but the pain was twice as bad so he gave me buprenorphine patches brand name BuTrans. I started on 5 mg a week later when it was due to change the patch I had to put 2x5 mg patches on and now I'm in 20mg patches which are used for severe pain and release a steady hourly dose 24 hours a day for 7 days, , codeine and propranolol. The pain is much less now if I get a migraine which I have tonight. When my migraines are apparent I take an extra 40mg to shorten the duration of the attack

• Posted

I'm glad the pain is being a bit more controlled for you!

Although, regular codeine is a known factor of headaches and migraines so i am surprised it does!

Good luck at slimming world, i have friends on it losing loads!

• Posted

Hi Sarah.

Thanks for your kind words about slimming world. Yes I think codeine often cause rebound headaches and make migraines worse sometimes. Think I'm better with paracetamol and ibuprofen. And bed rest if I'm honest.

I have blackout lined curtains in the bedroom thank god. The BuTrans patches are s great help and for my 5 slipped discs in my spine. But that's a different story

• Posted

I've been doing slimming world too, thought it might help with high BP. I've made target but health still the same. I was taken off paracetamol and told they cause headaches and given 600mg ibuprofen. Helps a bit but bed is my only solution.

• Posted

Oh poor you, its never just one thing wrong is it!

Yes bed rest is the only way i think, but unfortunately doesn't help when you actually need to be doing things 🙈

I am currently in bed and not at uni where i should be. Don't have a migraine but have a severe headache, wondering if it is the propranolol or the flu jab as had both yesterday!

• Posted

Sorry you are missing valued uni time because you are confined to bed. I remember those days well. You can ill avoid missing uni time.

Having to go to bed just ruins everything but to me is the only way of getting rid of severe headaches and migraines.

Hope you feel better soon so you can return to uni

• Posted

Thank you, 2stone in 17 weeks and ate more than I ever have, except on migraine days when I cant eat. 😕

• Posted

Ironicly I am doing a nursing degree, with all my problems i hardly think it appropriate anymore!!

Oh yes is the only way. Thank you for all yo7r messages. I find i get way more support off this site than people i actually know!!

• Posted

Well done! Unfortunately on my migraine days i am now starving and eat and eat. The silver lining i used to have was losing a bit of weight during an attack!

Well done

• Posted

I hope Proplanolol works for you and you manage to get your study done. I stay clear of hospitals as the lighting is horrible. I was in with a heart attack last Xmas and lay in a darkened room vomiting the whole time because of lighting and heart meds.

I know what you mean about getting support from others with the same problems 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.