Propranolol, amitriptyline, prednisilone

Posted , 3 users are following.

HELP!! Been on steroids for 8 years now and have been on propranolol and amitriptyline for about a year. The steroids are for vasculitis, the propranolol for migraines (90mg daily) and amitriptyline (50mg daily) for restless legs! I have gained over 2 stone and no matter what i do i cannot shift any of it! Been at Slimming world for 3 years and my weight only fluctuates 2lb either way which is really depressing me. I need to be well so stopping the medication is not an option but is there anything i can do to help me shift this excess baggage?? I am only 5'3" and now 2 stone overweight! Hoping someone can help me please! 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Leanne!

i sympathise with your weight gain problem.  Horrendous, isn't it?  I too have vascullitis (MPA) and am on 5mg Prednisolone a day.  Steroids make you put on weight, as you know.  Propranolol does too, especially in the waist area, at the top of the abdomen.  Losing the weight is pretty easy once the dosage of either or both goes down, if this is not possible, then basically you need to eat less and exercise more.

Your propranolol dose seems high, I am on 40mg a day, can you reduce that under medical supervision?  What dose of steroids are you on?

Hope this helps.  

• Posted

I too am on a dose of 5mg prednisone me. The propranolol can't be reduced as it is less effective as we have tried that already and amitriptilyne also at a dose of 50mg. Going nowhere really fast 😢
    • Posted

I reckon you would benefit from talking to your GP again about lowering the dose of propranolol.  According to my GP 60mg daily (30mg twice a day),  is the normal dose for dealing with migraines, though everyone is different, I know that!
    • Posted

I saw the consultant in February and she had an 'if it isn't broken don't fix it' kind of attitude. I don't think they understand the impact this can have on your mental and emotional health and I know they keep saying there are no medical links with propranolol and weight gain but I am proof them at there really is. I eat really sensibly and it makes no difference at all. I am on the go all the time at home and have tried the gym etc but the increase in excercise made my migraines worse! I also take meds for Raynaud's disease and also statins to name a few more! Like a walking pill box! I know I need to feel well and shouldn't be vain but it gets so depressing at times. Thanks for all your advice though! I really appreciate it.
    • Posted

I sympathise,  Leanne.  Altering drug doses feels so scary but I would still recommend you try it.  Nothing to loose really, except some weight maybe!  

You could always go back to the higher dose if being on the lower one doesn't suit you.  Just make sure you come down slowly, under GP supervision, if you do.  As far as I know reducing the dose of propranolol is a lot faster than reducing steroids, days rather than weeks,  and far less likely to cause a bad reaction.  What dose of steroids are you on, by the way?

• Posted

I am on a maintenance dose of 5mg now down from 60mg. The propranolol seems to be a bigger problem than the steroid as I lost a stone and a half after reducing the steroids but just piled on 2 stone on the propranolol. It does nothing for my self esteem and I think i will take your advice and see the gp (again!!) thank you
    • Posted

Good for you!  Let us know how it goes.  
  • Posted

Hi There! Just an observation, because I AM NOT A DOCTOR. 90mg of propranolol sounds like quite a lot to me. I know people have migraines and have taken much less than 90mg and it was still effective. Have you talked to your doctor about lowering your does of Prop? That could make the difference between losing a little weight and keeping it on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.