Propranolol and anxiety

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys, I am currently prescribed 10mg of propranolol once a day for SVT and anxiety. I've been taking it now for 4 days. I usually take it around 8-9 am and it lasts throughout the day. It makes my chest uncomfortable sometimes, usually after an hour of taking it and then it goes away, but it's like a light pressure on my chest, and when I search for my heartbeat I can't feel it ( which makes me nervous). I talked to my doctor about it and he said theres no way it's the propranolol because I'm taking such a low dose. Last night I had to take another one around 10 pm and I got my self all worked up because I thought I took to much and that it would damage my heart. I was getting chest pain, my feet were going numb. I have it in my head that I'm having an allergic reaction or it's damaging my heart from taking it or something and I'm scared to take it again. I'm supposed to take it every day because the SVT makes my heart race when I get episodes (and I also have bad anxiety) I used to prevent myself from walking because I was so scared to make my heart race and the propranolol has helped me be able to walk, do things and go to class. It has helped me a lot but I have it in my head that it's doing damage to my heart so I think my brain creates these side effects. I was hoping someone who has been taking it for awhile can tell me about it, and reassure me that 10mg isn't doing damage to my heart. (Even if I have to take a second pill at night, which would make it 20mg)

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm on 20 mg morning and night. If I get a panic attack, which feels like what you described, I would take another pill. I don't know about heart issues and this medication. That might be something to research.

• Posted

Hey I have been taking propanolol for about 4 months now for anxiety and panic attacks.

I take 80mg a day at first there were a few side effects blurred vision etc which comes and goes I was like you checking for my heartbeat and thinking this can't be right 😯

But it takes time to settle in your body and and if anything it's giving your heart a rest and and just relaxing the body it it has been fantastic for for my anxiety I am a little more tired but that's to be expected just give it some time to settle and remember the reason you look for your heartbeat is because you have anxiety it's not very pleasant at first but persevere with it see how you go 😊

• Posted

Hi, I do understand your concerns but I am on 40 mg Propranolol 3 x day and feel a lot better on that than I did on the previous beta blocker (Bisoprolol). I hate having to take any medication but I couldn't cope with the way I was living when I first started getting paroxysmal atrial tachycardia . I would get a racing heart, feel really dizzy, breathless and like many others probably thought I was going to have a heart attack. But everything has since settled down and all the scans/ checks etc have shown my arteries and heart are fine. So although I do feel tired ( I have RA too) I am now walking almost ever day trying to get fit and more than happy to remain on them if it keeps me functioning better. Hopefully things will settle down for you and you will feel less anxious. Our minds can really run wild at times and it isn't helpful. I used to lay awake at night frightened to sleep as at my worst I thought I might not wake up. Well obviously I wouldn't have known anything about it had that been the case! I was forever listening to my heartbeat thinking it was too fast or too slow. Telling myself all the time I'm not one of those anxious people who stress over their health but I was actually very scared. There have been a lot of heart problems/attacks in my family (I lost my brother at 27 and son had a heart attack at 36) so no doubt these things played on my mind. There is light at the end of the tunnel though and a few years down the line and I'm doing well and no longer fixate on my heartbeat or worry. Stress and anxiety are things that can make our conditions worse. Good luck.

• Posted

Your heart is totally fine. I've taken 80mg of propanalol every day for a year and was in constant worry about my heart. But it's just your mind playing tricks on you.

The propanalol needs time to get into your system. Even after taking it every day for a year I now find that it's more benificial to take it as and when required as opposed to every day. But that all depends on the individual and how your anxiety manifests itself

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.