propranolol help

Posted , 4 users are following.

ive been prescribed 20mg twice a day for fast pulse and anxiety but im hypothyroid so in mornings my heart rate tends to be a bit lower so i take it in the evenings when heart rate increases but ive noticed my heart rate is not slowing down

is this somehing i need to take regular to get into my sytem or is 20mg simply not a high enough dose

heart rate gets to 80 and im then paniky allthough im told its ok so thats when i take the propranolol

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mandy. I also take the same dose 2x20mg daily for ET.  I find that one in the morning and one at night works. Times vary, both am dose and pm dose. Not sure how long you have been taking propranolo. I asked GP about this dose of 2x20mgs. It's a low level dose (for starters) to see how you react. It did not take long for me to adjust, but everyone is different. I've tried the LA version 1x60mg for a week. I find the fast release 20mg tablet works better.

• Posted

Hi Gym

ive been on them a few months now started at 10mg twice a day but i only needed one at night, got referred to mental health as drs thought i was a danger to myself and the guy i was seen said my anxiety is from having underactive thyroid and increased to 20mg twice a day, i was unwell through the night with a sickness bug so hoping thats why im feeling so lousy today (chest pains and fast puse, had chest x ray ect and all was fine), if it dont improve ill take another coupl later as my last dose was abut 2 1/2-3 hours ago and pulse still high 70's (very uncomfortable for me)

• Posted

Hi, there,

For me, the drug worked after about a half hour (20 mgs.). However, for the first month or so, it wasnt enough. So, with the doctor's knowledge, i would take an extra pill or two a day. I even kept some on my nightstand, because i was waking up in a panic. I now take 20 mgs in the morning and at night, along with clorazepam and seroqul. It might just take you some time to regulaye your body. Good luck.

• Posted

thanks for that, it does seem i may need an extra tablet at night and maybe less in the morning (if needed)
  • Posted

Hi, I've been prescribed Propanalol, am Hypothyroid too. I'm a full time carer for my terminally ill Husband. Palpitations, and anxiety are taking over my life. I'm a bit scared of taking them though. They are only 10mg, as and when my heart goes mad. Should I take them? I'd be so grateful for honest opinions. 

• Posted

ive been told propranolol is bad for hypos

i still take it when i need to and try and take a smaller dose during the day

im due bloods tomorrow and i may be be pooling or have adrenal issuses

try one and see how you go

• Posted

Thamks Mandy. Hope all goes well tomorrow.
    • Posted

thanks but i can see me kicking off

im on T3 as levothyroxine made me sick and i need my T3 tested but the NHS usually refuse to test so ill land up paying for a private test sad

• Posted

I sometimes wonder if they think of thyroid problems as an illness, it does seem to be treated as second rate by most gp's

• Posted

you are very right

ive been ill since i was diagnosed 3 years ago

allways being fobbed off

given beta blockers so i can increase my meds because of tem making my heart race

they never ever check what needs checking

im now having to do private tests to rule things out as i may be pooling

been told many many times im fine and its all in my head

had heart scans, chest x rays and ecg's that are all fine yet my meds make my heart race

my endo is USELESS and has been reported to PALS

my dr told me to google health anxiety which i did and yep im a hypochondriac

well when these tests come back showing what the problems are they will be hearing from me

ive been to A/E many times with fast pulse and shortness of breath yet they say im ok

i get all my help and advice on support pages and the drs hate it

i feel like i exsist now im just the mum who sits in the chair crocheting, i cant do anything with the kids or grandkids.......this is not a life its a prison sentance in hell

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.