pros/cons

Posted , 7 users are following.

after reading posts from so many, i am seeing  the negatives, but not hearing the positives! so i am wondering if any of u have been on other antidepressants and how u would compare their effectiveness to prozac!??--i myself have been on many, and found paxil cr to be the most effect for me for years--but after going off of it for yrs, then back on, it had no effect! the rest of them were nightmares!  so i am putting hope into prozac----if u all remember, years ago, prozac was the drug of choice by any and all and called the HAPPY PILL--but seems to me most all of u r having problems with side effects and effectiveness, so i am getting a little disheartened---------by the way, i am posting this at 5 a.m. as not being able to sleep is a HORRID problem for me!

2 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was ill for 15 years and was on other antidepressants - tri-cyclics.  As soon as I was put into SSRI's I recovered, and have now been well for about 26 years.

I take Citalopram, just another type of SSRI like Prozac, and they have been my saviour.

A lot of negative posts you may read are often from people who haven't taken the medication properly or have been too big a rush to get better and then have given up too soon.  These meds work if you give them lots and lots of time.  Yes they're tough, but once through the side effects you just have to wait, and wait ...... and when you're fed up with waiting, you have to push on and wait some more.  Can take 3-4 months or longer, though some feel the benefit earlier.

Keep persevering.  You'll get there.

• Posted

Typo - not well for 26 years lol ...... 16 years!! 😄
    • Posted

Hi Kate,

Haha! I thought we're not supposed to be drinking on these SSRIs...?!!lol

Anne x

• Posted

The medication leaflet advises not to drink, but I've taken them for over 16 years so don't think I could have lasted that long lol 😄

Its best not to drink of course, especially in the early days, but if anyone does I expect its just common sense to gauge how a sip or a little tipple might be.

😄🍷

• Posted

oh, this is too funny on drinking and prozac! i wanted to ask, but figured all would say NO WAY!--i enjoy going out at least once a week and am going out tonite--i know i will have cocktails-i only did half a dose today in preparation-lol--so i am interested to see what will happen and how i will feel mixing alcohol and prozac!--will let u know!
    • Posted

It's not advisable no, but it's up to the individual I suppose.  Most medications recommend not drinking, and SSRI's are no different.  Taking only half your dose today probably won't make any difference as the meds build up in your body over a long time, so missing half a dose won't make much difference and if anything might make you feel nauseous.  

Cocktails sound fun ...... just take it real easy though.  Have a great evening!

K 😊

• Posted

Interesting, thanks Kate.  I suppose it's still early days for me, relatively speaking (16 wks).  I watched my Jamaican ex smoking a spliff the other day - once I would happily have joined him, but not now! I still have moments when I feel spliffed out, despite sensible diet and no alcohol. It's so different - choosing to 'chill' versus having it imposed on you.

Hic! x  wink

• Posted

woe is me, i decided not to go-i am NOT depressed--just didnt seem worth the effort to get clothes all ready, put on 'face' etc--and weather turned nasty!  so will experiment with bottle of wine i bought-lolol
    • Posted

Aww that's a shame, but sometimes it's just nice to snuggle up in the warm.  Yes weather isn't so good is it 😕☔️
    • Posted

kate, yes i agree--but i did have a few glasses of wine, with no ill effects whatsoever!  oh, oh, carl will be displeased to hear that--did u see where he undermined me for wanting to go have a drink!?  i see where u said u have cocktails--have u got slammed yet!?  lol
    • Posted

Glad to hear there was no ill effects from the wine.  I've not had a cocktail for eons ..... last one I remember was blue!?  They look fun though.  My usual tipple is beer or wine :-)

Carl is a sweetie and is only concerned.  I know it's up to us all individually what we do, but I do understand where he's coming from.  Having suffered with depression he did his utmost to stay healthy to help his body along with the medication.

Me?  I eat healthily, exercise a lot, have never taken drugs (wouldn't even know what they looked like lol), but do like my wine.

Think we all try and look out for each other here 😄

• Posted

Yes 16 weeks is relatively early still.  No, best steer clear of stuff .... smoking stuff can lead to depression so no point adding to your woes 😊  Of course alcohol can too, but all in moderation eh 🍷
  • Posted

Kate is absolutely right! It was she who kept me going through the tough phase - she promised me joy at the end of the tunnel and that is exactly what I got and get. Hey ho! to this beautiful sunny weather - I'm so happy to be alive.

The side effects should wear off in a few weeks - several, to be honest - and then slowly, gradually, happiness and joy enter your life again.

This is my first time ever on anti-depressants and I have no intention of ever coming off Flu. Life is good and easy and joyous. I've been on them/it for a little over a year.

Keep going, Rosie, push trough the darkest times and into the light again. You really are worth it!

• Posted

Bless you Carl, yeah, I'm a fan of Kate's too - amazing gal!

I'm wondering if I could pick your brains on Flu?  I've been on them for 16 weeks now and there's a couple of side effects that don't seem to be diminishing yet: blurred vision and dry mouth, and mmmm... plus I could fart for Britain! Any ideas here?  Otherwise, yeah, I am definitely starting to feel like the old me - I am actually laughing again after so many years. Don't miss booze either!

Anne x

• Posted

hm, interesting--i would rather be able to drink and  put up with the 'gas'  !!  LOLOL

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.