Proscure suppositories

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been using proscure suppositories for several months now and I beleive they have helped control my symptoms of prostatitis.  Anyone else tried these?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I'm on a drug called Cefdinir. It seems to be helping a little bit !

• Posted

I have not tried this, but I have tried other OTC pills with similar ingredients but unfortunately noticed no difference in my symptoms, even after several months of taking them. Granted, this being a suppository should improve absorbtion, but I'll admit I'm a bit skeptical when it comes to most OTC supplements without some form of clinical/objective data.

I'm glad to hear they work for you, it is difficult to discern from all the noise on the web what is legit or not. While this product has mostly positive reviews on Amazon (apparently the only place to buy it) - there are also many 1 and 2 stars, some of which claim that some of the positive comments are suspect due the posters having but one review. I've yet to find any OTC product that has helped me.

• Posted

Tim-B,

I saw those comments questioning the authentication of the positive reviews too, but upon closer inspection, I found although there were a few with their only review as proscure, there were more with reviews of serveral products.  Some of the positive reviews and had updates from several months later with positive results.  I decided to give it a try with the idea prostate problems our diverse and no product, prescription or OTC is going to help everyone.  It was a $43 gamble, but I have spent a lot more at the urologist office with pretty negative results so the gamble seemed small.

It has helped me, by decreasing the pain and especially getting up at night time to use the bathroom, which for me has been the hardest symptom to live with.  I haven't been to the urologist or been on antiobotics since, which I consider a major blessing.

• Posted

Good to know it helps. The issue that gives me the most grief is the amount of time it takes to start the stream after sleeping (or getting up in the night) - or sitting for an extended period, like on an airplane. On average 5+ minutes, then another 3-5 to void. During the day when I'm mobile, very few issues.

Cystoscopy last month showed no obstructions, MRI showed no BPH but chronic inflammation, which I've improved and helped other symptoms - just not the one that prevents me from traveling. Pacing on an airplane is frowned upon by the attendants, as is spending 10+ minutes in the bathroom. 

• Posted

I can relate!  I’ve had prostatitis for about 25 years.  About 20 years ago I took the CPA exam, which in those days was quite an experience in its self.  There were 2,000 people taking it in this huge convention center, two people to a desk.  They had bathroom monitors as well as monitors walking the isles and perched up high in different places.  It was a two day, 15 hour exam.  Less than 15% pass the CPA exam back then.  I had studied hard and was well prepared.  To stay alert I drank diet coke, but with prostatitis you know what that did!  I used the restroom more than any person there.  When I passed the first thing I thought was they are going to think I cheated because I went to the restroom more than anyone else!

There have been times when the urge to go while driving was so great I only had two choices, stop and pee while trying to hide behind the car on the side of road or go in my pants.

I had all those test too, too many times, and as you know, the Cystoscopy can really hurt, especially if your inflamed and muscles are spasming.  One urologist thought I had BPH too, because it was so difficult for him and me to do the Cystocopy.  He put me in the hospital under an anesthesia to do it again.  When I awaken he reported I had no blockage or BPH it was just muscle spasms.  Great to know, but he had no answer, besides flomax (which I had been using for years) for the muscle spasms. 

Writing this makes me realize how much better I am now.  I’m not cured, but compared to what I was, life is a lot better.

• Posted

I seem to have the muscle spasms as well. I have a difficult time starting to urinate due to this. I have to concentrate on relaxing the muscles or no urination, just pain. I think that this is my problem not prostate cancer or prostatitis. I think I have chronic pelvic pain syndrome, but good luck trying to get a diagnosis from your urologist. Mine just wants to do a biopsy if my PSA is high. I wonder if muscle spasms will make it rise?
    • Posted

Yea, muscle spasms are not an objective thing to diagnosis.  Twice in my 25 years I have had biofeedback to try and learn to relax the pelvic floor muscles.  The first time the urologist ordered it from a physical therapist and although they were not completely sure of what they were doing, they knew enough and it actually gave good results.  Unfortunately I moved to a different state after 5 treatments and never felt like I got the full learning curve.  The second time I tried it the urologist was taking my word how well it had worked years earlier, but he and his staff didn’t know enough to set the machine and hook the electrodes up right and I received no benefit. 

If you’re like me there are times when you know your spamming in there, but there just isn’t much you can do.  Hot baths, massages, only barely touch the pelvic muscles.  That is one good thing about the proscure suppositories.  You keep them in the frigerator and put them in at bed time or when your spasming.  It’s like putting a cold pack on the prostate its self, since the only thing between the suppository and the prostate is the rectum lining.  You get some instant relief just from putting something cold on it, and if you are one of the lucky ones, the ingredients help to partly heal the prostate which continues to get better over several months.

• Posted

I think I will try them. My Uru wants to do a PSA Test, but I am leary of this as muscle spasms in that region could increase my PSA and lead to a unnecessary biopsy and that could damage me more. I just want to get some relief, not have a bunch of painful dangerous tests. I don't think I will allow a biopsy to be done on me.

• Posted

What is Proscure? I have been having trouble with my prostate and I think I have prostatitis. My urologist doesn't seem to know what is wrong as she has now asked me if I think I still have prostatitis. I have no idea. I thought that was her job to figure that out. Because I still have symptoms she wants to test my PSA and she said if it is high she will likely order a biopsy. So I need something to help with this problem. Do I need a scrip for it?

• Posted

Proscure is a suppository of OTC supplements, sold through Amazon. The ingredients are common supplements that are used in many pills that are sold for prostate related issues. Unfortunately, like most supplements, there is little or no objective data that can verify the benefits. Some claim it helps, others not - pretty much like many medications. I've always been a bit skeptical of claims made by supplement vendors and I have not tried Proscure, but I have tried pills containing the same ingredients with no discernable benefit. If $43 isn't an issue - you may want to try it and see if it helps.

Prostatitis is a condition that effects a lot of men - and not just those over 50. NIH claims a small percentage (sub 20) is caused by bacteria and can be treated by antibiotics, but most doctors start with a course of antibiotics, commonly Cipro which can have some nasty side effects, especially for runners. Non-bacterial prostatitis is the most common form that plagues most of us - a chronic inflammation that can have numerous causes and which can last for years. Finding the cause(s) and potential treatments can be a long frustrating journey.  Finding a doctor that is familiar with treating this condition is as frustrating. I'm currently on my 5th urologist in 3 years - same treatment recommendations as the rest. None of which have helped me.

Diet -most commonly caffeine and alcohol, can effect some. All I can suggest is do some research, perhaps simplify your diet to simple organic and bland foods for a period of time and see if that helps while you look for other things to try.

Muscular - some symptoms may be caused/influenced by issues in the pelvic floor. 

Finding what can work for you can be a long frustrating journey - it has for me and many others I know. Good luck.

• Posted

Craig,

Sorry to have to tell you this, but you have stumbled into the most unscientific medical specialty there is!  I’ve been to about 12 urologist in 25 years and 7 of them were idiots, 2 were good, and 3 were okay.  The urologist not knowing what is wrong, is normal, and having to go through tests is a prerequisite that mostly rules things out, but doesn’t tell you what is wrong.  The first thing you need to tell her you want, and if she doesn’t agree, go somewhere else, is a bacterial test on your semen.  You are lucky she hasn’t prescribed antibiotics yet, which is what most urologist do before doing the bacterial test, but there are several strains of bacteria and a blind series of antibiotics is just plain dumb, because once it is done, it will probably make the test useless.   The prostate does not have much blood flow to it, so if it is infected with bacteria, it is much better to know what type of bacteria it is and use an antibiotic which is known to kill it well.  As far as the idea of resistant strains of bacteria being a huge society problem and doctors should prescribe it for only short times, all that publically correct society theory gets thrown out the door with urologists.  It is common for them to prescribe 3 months of antibiotics, which does havoc to the rest of the body.

You actually want it to be a bacterial infection where they identify the bacteria, because that is the easiest problem to solve.  There is currently debate where the PSA test is of any use, but the biopsy can definitely rule out cancer.  Doesn’t feel real good, but that is just part of prostate problems.  A little pain is better than dying an early death!  Don’t be surprised if she finds stones in prostate from the ultrasound part of the biopsy.  Stones, in just about any part of the body, is a sign of long-term infection.  Some men have stones with no symptoms.  Others, including me in the early days, had great results on antibiotics, only to have the infection come back when the antibiotics where stopped and each series of antibiotics positive effect diminished to eventually they didn’t help at all.  One of the 2 good urologists I saw back then said the bacterial would hide in the crevices of the stones and then spread back to the prostate gland when the antibiotics were stopped.

The final likely result is you well get labeled as non-bacteria chronic prostatitis, but you got to go through the tests and procedures to rule everything else out first.  If you get to this point I would recommend trying Proscure which is a suppository, you can find on Amazon.

• Posted

Well I have had the antibiotics for three weeks and that was all I could tollerate. Now it is coming back and I don't want to go through a biopsy. It could cause me a whole lot of harm. I have Crohn's disease so if my rectum was punctured by needles there is a good chance of developing an abcess or fistula. I also harbor antibiotic resistant C-diff and that resides in my intestine. If that were to get into my urinary system good luck on getting rid of it. I would want a 3T MRI first to make sure that there was something that needed to be biopsied, if not then one thing is eliminated. If so then I would have the Transperineal type biopsy to ensure bowel bacteria doesn't enter my urinary system and it will also prevent damage to my rectum. I have a plan, but I am willing to try anything at this point that isn't harmful. So thanks for the info and I will get some.

• Posted

Craig,

Sorry to hear of your complications.  Don’t know if this well help, because you seem to already know a lot.  The biopsy is usually called an ultrasound/mri guided biopsy.  It’s a instrument that stick up your rectum to examine the prostate through ultrasound image on a monitor, which you get to see too, and then decide if there is something which looks suspicious enough to warrant a biopsy.  If the answer is yes, a hollow needle gets thrust out of the instrument into the prostate.  I don’t know if the instrument has multiple needles are what, but they can take multiple biopsies with one installment of the instrument in your rectum.  The only blood I have had is a small amount from the prostate biopsy, not the insertion of the instrument in the rectum, but the needle is pentrating through the rectum lining to get into the prostate, so your concern of bowel bacteria maybe valid.

Sounds like you know more about the complications of your conditions than the urologist does.  I would voice your concerns to her and only go forward if you are convinced you know what she is going to do and you’re in agreement with it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.