Prostate Arterial Embolization (PAE

Posted , 13 users are following.

The solution to  Enlarged Prostate could be PAE.

Just about 4 weeks ago, I had the procedure done. Up till now, it seems things are going very well. My condition had improved.

I love to share my experience with other People like me. .Ask your question if you are planning to know more about PAE.

1 like, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Are they doing from Left, as well as Right Femur Artery?

What is the level of Radiology Exposure?

Sarasuj Majumder  

• Posted

Hi sarasuj,

Mine was done on the right side. there was no Exposure to Radiology.

The procedure does not go through that. Before the procedure , the Dr would send to for scanning. after the result is out, you would be told what to do next. its just a minor procedure to me. 

• Posted

Where did you have it done? Was it covered by insurance?

Thanks.

Dan

• Posted

Hi Dan,

I got it done in Sydney. There was no insurance involved because I dont have one. All you need to bring is Medicare card if you live in Australia

Regards.

Mathy71633

• Posted

Hi Mathy71633,

I am an aussie living in the USA - which doctor did you go to and how long did it take to get an appointment for the operation?

You wrote that the Prostate eventually dies? Wouldn't that affect sexuality?

Thanks

mike588

• Posted

No, hopefully, when done properly, it doesn't "die". The entire blood supply is NOT stopped, only part of it, so that the prostate shrinks.

Neal

• Posted

How does PAE compare to HoLEP?
    • Posted

Lester90053,

This are two different issues. To me PAE is better than HoLEP. Do or 

have you read about any of this? PAE involves cuting off the blood or food  supply of the Prostate which in the long run would shrink , it might take some time. While the later is drilling the urine passage which in the long run, may heal up and back to square 1, this again may take time. The choice is yours.  Think about a wound a in any part of the body. It heals up after a time. but if the blood supply to any part of the body is cut off, that area becomes dead after awhile. What do you think? Hope that makes sense.

• Posted

mathy,

i had my PAE 5 months ago at UNC Chapel Hill, NC as part of a clinical trial. As I have posted on several other discussions on this forum, the results have been nothing short of amazing. I no longer think about peeing at all. It is just something I do naturally now. Also I have had no pain and no sexual side effects. If anything sex is better now since I don't have to take any BPH medicines anymore.

a fluoroscope is used to guide the procedure so some radiation is involved, but it is minimal for an adult.

• Posted

Hi William79680,

The radiation involved is nothing to write home about. To me,

its nothing to fear. I had mine done just 4 weeks ago. For now am feeling better to compare with the initial problems. The

PAE being a new procedure, we might be one of the people to

tell the positive side of it.

• Posted

Hi William,

That's great that the procedure was so successful for you.

I'm contemplating having the procedure done at UNC.  Was Dr. Isaacson your Dr.?

Do you know how much radiation you had in the CT scans?  I assume it was CT.   or was it just an MRI?

Prior to the procedure, were you needing to catheterize?  Had you ever gone in to acute urinary retention?  Were you on meds?   Do you remember you IPSS score and the resulting improvement?

Was there any discussion about possible loss of fertility?

Thanks a lot.

• Posted

Arlington,

dr Isaacson was my radiologis. He is awesome. Prior to the procedure I had a problem with retension that required emergency room catheter. I then learned to self cath to avoid emergency room. I was on FloMax twice a day and had taken Avodart and Finesteride for a while. I got up 4-5 times a night and peeled frequently during the day with urgency. My prostate was 128g and my IPSS score was 25. I also had a protruding median lobe. 

After the PAE my prostate shrunk 38%, my IPSS dropped to 2, I only get up once at most, no urgency now and also my PSA dropped from 22 to 1.9. Pretty darn good results I would say.

i had a CT before, but it was short and could have not posed much radiation. I have had an MRI since which takes longer and probably has more radiation, but again nothing to worry about for an adult male.

there was no discussion of loss of fertility, but then I had a vasectomy long ago. My sex life that had determinated due to BPH meds has returned to normal.

As you can tell, I am an extremely happy camper!!! Everyone does not have as good of results as I have had, but most due have excellent results.

• Posted

Were there any pain, or problems immediately after the procedure, and in the first week or two?

I am scheduled to have Dr. Isaacson do a PAE on me in December. We live in Florida, and will drive to UNC for the procedure, and stay about a week before driving home. I'm wondering if you think that is realistic, and if you have any recommendations for me. Where did you stay there, was it nice, and what did the lodging cost?

Neal

• Posted

Thanks a lot, William.

That is very encouraging.  My experience is very close to yours except my prostate is only 50g.

IPSS  24

Had retention and went to ER for cath July '14

Learned to self cath in october '14

Up 3-5 times a night even w/ self cathing

Have tried Finasteride amd Alfiuzosin - am currently on Rapaflo 8mg

Protruding median lobe

Dr. Isaacson says the goal is to be able to get off catheter as well as drugs.  However, he cautions that this might not happen.  I'm hopeful to have results similar to yours.

Thanks again!

• Posted

Hi William,

Since our cases are so similar I may send you some more questions as i think of them:

Did Dr. Isaacson go in through your groin or through your wrist?

Thanks a lot!

• Posted

Arlington,

I hope  you have success as I have. Dr. Isaacson went in thru my wrist. He can only do that if the veins/Arteries are good for it. Don't know what the requirements are exactly, but he went in that way because it reduces the time immediately after the procedure that you have to stay in recovery waiting on the artery to seal.

ask questions anytime. I am happy to share. You can also private message me if needed.

• Posted

Neal,

i had had no pain or bleeding, no catheter is required either. I drove home to Atlanta (7.5hrs) the next day. For about a week I had slight burning when peeing and some urgency as well. That was all very mild and was gone in a week. I also had bruising where he entered the artery in my wrist, looked bad, but did not hurt. I stayed at the Hampton Inn in Carrboro. It is half mile from UNC, cost was $149 night, but was convenient and nice. I don't think you have to stay more than an extra day. As I said, I left the next morning.

• Posted

I really appreciate it. I'm opting for the groin buy don't think it will affect outcome.
    • Posted

Hi William,

One  more question if you happen to remember:  Did Dr. Isaacson use the larger (300-500) or smaller (100-300) size Embospheres to fill the blood vessels in your procedure?

Alos, did you happen to do any research re posssible negatives of going in through the wrist.  I'm getting a little hung up on that choice!

Thanks a lot!

• Posted

Arlington,

Sorry I have no idea what size embospheres were used. As far as entry thru the wrist goes, that is not a requirement. It just worked better for me

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.