Prostate Cancer - the enemy within - a metaphysical discussion

Posted , 7 users are following.

Any cancer may be thought of as the enemy within but I opened this Dicussion in the Prostate Cancer Group because as a metaphysical topic it has unique characteristics which will better come to the fore if discussed in isolation from other cancers. I hope the brave ladies who fight so valiantly and with such fortitude for their beloved PCa stricken men will join in this discussion. Let those ladies too who have lost beloved men to PCa join in too. Other ladies are very welcome as followers. I hope a similar discussion might ensue in the Breast Cancer Group, breast cancer being the sister equivalent cancer which shares key features with prostate cancer.

So to our discussion. PCa not only threatens our lives, it strikes at our manhood and with a cunning and viciousness that gives us little chance of escape. If we do nothing we are effectively castrated and then painfully slaughtered. If we fight back with the current treatments we are likely to be castrated, possibly temporarily, or to have our ability as a man severely compromised. Our self esteem as men is hit hard. in studies men hold hormone therapy to provide the worse quality of life outcome of the four main therapy types. Yet all these therapies theaten men's manliness. It is a great evil that part of us that is a powerhouse of our sexuality is turned against us destroying our sexuality and then our very selves. What sort of evil is this, so cunning, so nimble and flexible that conceives and hurles this desease against so many men causing havock amongst their lovedones?

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

George, I applaud you for starting such a topic of conversation... Your question and mine are one and the same... 'What sort of evil is this?'

I'm guessing that I am like the majority of others that venture here in search of some kind of understanding of what's happening within...

Time is short and wine is plenty tonight so I shall continue a little later...

• Posted

Yes Kombie Cruiser, enjoy the company and the wine. I look forward to your contribution at a convenient hour.

George

• Posted

George, you certainly have a way with words. As you say, this is a unique foe that strikes at our very manhood; probably the reason that I am deferring further investigations.

I am interested in reading Kombi Cruiser's comments as I did not realise this sort of progression was usual. I am now in turmoil but I have an MRI scan this Friday which should clarify matters. I just hope it is of the 3Tesla type and not the old 1.5T type as these are largely useless for diagnostic purposes.

I wish everyone the best, as ever.

• Posted

Hi David,

As to Mr Ford's T type 'any color you want so long as it's black' just ask. Your contributions and taxes pay for your care. You are a paying customer. Be sure to ask. You need to know the quality of the diagnostic tool used. Then you know the degree of confidence to place on the information.

I do hope you get a good, accurate and informative result.

George

• Posted

Very well put George.  I had never considered this in the way you have described.

I am very, very fortunate with having a totally understanding and supportive wife.  i am currently suffering with a Prolapsed Disc, which is having more of an issue with my personal masculinity, as i cannot do the jobs around the house that I used to do.

The hot flushes continue after nearly two years of stopping Zoladex, but we now joke about them, my local nurse says "welcome to our world", our friends who are going through the change include me in their discussions.  

Last blood test shows PSA "not traceable" which is really good news.

I agree with everything you say but am still grateful for being alive.

Keep on keeping on

Very best wishes for 2015

Ken

• Posted

Thank you Ken. My very supportive wife is very clear that marriage that is just sex is a sorry affair. I am glad you have much in your marriage that makes you glad to be alive. I too am in that all state. A blessing indeed. I do hope there is a long path ahead of you filled with joys and fun and laughter. If the little jobs arround the house are no longer yours, then I hope you have many things that add interest and fascination to the day to day round.

I too do much less of the manly jobs about the house. The ironing is my province, about 1/4 of the clothes wash. 3/4 of the clothes drying and so on. My daughter in law laughs with me at the change in rolls and my wife says she will buy me a Mrs Bear arpron ( of Rupert Bear fame). I enter into that fun with joy.

The other day one of my white vests went into the wash with a deap red non fast table cloth. Of course it came out pink. How we laughed.

• Posted

What a beautifully written thought provoking summery of what every man must feel who is going through PC.  as a wife of a man with PC I can only say that the PC has made me love my man more.  Seeing him fight this fight, like he fights for our family, only makes me respect him that much more.  His manhood is the part of him that touches my soul.  His manhood is not his sexuality but the love we share.  I know words are easy to say but it is true............ I am praying for each of you men.  thank you for giving me a glimpse into the thoughts of a man with PC
    • Posted

Mary my sweet one, your words drew a broad smile across my face and a tear or two from my eyes. Thank you, . . . thank you Mary.
  • Posted

Hi everyone.George that is so beautifully written,and I for one love my Partner even more if possible.He has always been the strong one in our relationship as I suffer very badly from depression but I can't believe how strong I am been and I think it helps to have so many people here to talk to.A few nights I have woke up to find that my man has been crying and that upsets me so much,and nothing else matters as long as he is ok.Sometimes I wish I could wrap him in cotton wool but unfortunately life is not like that and his life is worth fighting for.As I said before as long as I can have a cuddle and kiss and hugs I will be happy,just to have him beside me.Going to put a post now on other chat as to how he got on this evening otherwise things will become confusing x
    • Posted

Dear Soso, thank you. I have found that too. My wife and I have been lovers for over 50 years. Since my PCa diagnosis our relationship has been further sweetened. Quite a silver lining to a very dark cloud.

As to your husband weeping. What a sweet and tender man he must be. Yes, let him mourn, help him mourn the old life that has gone. Soon he will find his feet and set out from the new place you both are in. We all have done that. PCa as you have found turns our life upsidedown.

x George

• Posted

Hi george reading between the lines you seem to be very sad at what has happened to you, I myself am going through this terrible prostrate cancer thing my PSA is 10.5 and my gleeson score was 3+3+4 that was 2 years ago. I refuse to have another biopsy I think it does more harm than good, I got blood poisoning from mine it nearly killed me. I have not given up though i am trying different herbal remedies, not with my consultants blessings just my own will to live a normal life. I am trying baking soda and maple syrup twice per day, bitter almonds 20 per day and colloidal silver 20 ppm once a day and I am going to try encapsulated vitamin C it is supposed to be very good at fighting cancer, there are many other things that people swear by people need to do some searching on the web to find out about these things before they go under the knife save your manhood george check these out and try them tell your freinds and make the knife the last port of call not the first.......... good luck george let me know how you get on ???????? 
    • Posted

I share many of your views. I have a rising PSA - up from 5.4 to 8.3 over the past 2 1/2 years but do not want a biopsy. I have heard just too many stories about the side effects and even our nhs says that the rate of severe infection is 3% - way too high in my view. Also, I wonder how many people suffer in silence and so are recorded as having no side effects - men tend to be non-complainers. I am trying to follow a non-dairy low-red-meat diet with mixed success.

My nagging doubt is that the largest study of its type (PIVOT) reported no discernable benefit attached to any type of treatment so even if a biopsy discovered PCa I am not sure if I would opt for treatment.

I wish you well.

• Posted

In 2010 my PSA was higher at between 35 and 27.  I obviously had to have a biopsy, not pleasant.  The diagnosis was Gleeson 9.  Following an operation it was downgraded to Gleeson 8.  I understand were you are coming from, but to put very bluntly I would have been dead a few years, without the surgery, radiotherapy and hormone treatment.

Have you discussed this with your General Practioner and are they happy with this approach?

None of the treatment was without side effects, but I am still here with a PSA of "not detectable".

Make sure you are making informed decisions with sound information, there is a lot of really scary misinformation on the internet.

I hope all works out well for you.

KenW

• Posted

Hi Raymond, David and Ken,

There is I think an important point running through your contributions. I am needing to think it through. I am not ignoring your texts. I am not too thrilled at having PCa or being given multiple pains in the butt, or having gut and bladder zapped by photons. I did not feel a thing but gut knew just when he was being zapped and churned away like a worm in sunlight. Bladder made huge complaints. Still on the whole I am reasonably happy. I am not about to surrender happiness to PCa.

• Posted

Ken47739 welcome...finally another who has accepted the reality of having prostate cancer... It looks like you may have been one of the luckier ones and have got to be a few steps in front of the enemy within rather than a few steps behind it... I've often sat an thought as to how to best describe Prostate Cancer and the best I could come up with is that 'It's like being pregnant - you can't just be a little bit pregnant (you are pregnant) but you are just at a different stage - left alone the end result normally is totally predictable - removal of the growth is allowable in the earlier stages but if not the result once again is normally totally predictable."

• Posted

Thank you Kombi Cruiser and hi again to Raymond, David and Ken.

In setting this discussion going I was looking for attitudes to PCa, fighting, fleeing, hating, loosing, wining and many such things, metaphysical things. You are wanting to discuss practical physical things. There are Discussions already well filled with threads covering physical aspects and the risks that men are or are not willing to take. You might be better served by following some of those discussions. 

As for me, I will fight PCa with all the aggression and resolution I can muster or go down in the fight. I will never surrender.

Mmmm Got the idea?

• Posted

Thanks for the response Ken. I have had an MRI scan and I await the results. I believe that this is just as good as a biopsy at detecting PCa but does not have the side effects. I am monitoring my PSA (currently 8.3) and will take action before it reaches about 12 (unless the scan shows I need to act sooner). Yours seems to be a success story which gives me hope.

All the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.