Prostate problem eased with antibiotics

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had prostate problems for 30 of my 74 years.  It seems to be a combination infection & inflamation situation.  Recently my doctor gave me a prescription of LEVOFLOXACIN 500 mg.  I took it for three weeks.  My prostate relaxed during the first week.  This improvement lasted for abt three months and my flow was much faster.  There were variations which I correlated to what I ate.  Many spices caused my prostate to limit the flow - such as cinammon, mexican seasonings and others.  If you try this treatment, I would like to know your results.  Thanks.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Ken, glad you're getting relief.  30 years is a long time.

Could you tell me what symptoms you've had?  Was it just restriction of flow, or were there other sensations?  I've had two prostate surgies this year already, and have been left with complete incontinence so far and have spenet about $600 just on incontinence supplies (Depends, pads, etc.) and that's out of pocket and not covered by medicare or insurance as far as I can tell.  Our city may have to open a landfill just for my garbage.

I get a strange sensation, maybe like a small electrical shock, if I've been sitting (I can hold in some urine while sitting), go pee and just at the end when I try to squeeze out the last bit of urine.  I get the same sensation sometime while doing kegel exercises, or taking a deep breath.  A few times, just clearing my throat has caused that sensation in the prostate/bladder region.

• Posted

I got a laugh thinking about the landfill.  I never had any electric shock symptoms.  That sounds like nerve involvement. My symptoms were vague  The formost symptom was slow urination and incomplete urination.  My bladder was always 2/3 full.  I had to pee every hour.  There were at times a feeling that my anus was sore, but it was the prostate.  Some times, but rarely, I would have a bladder infection.  It was only the bladder infection that the doctor could confirm.  Much of the time he just took my description.
    • Posted

A bit of good news, I think.  I saw my urologist on Friday.  I did a bit of a core dump (computing term) letting him know I was at the end of my rope, and asked him if there was any injury to the bladder mouth or the external sphincter.  He assured me that there was not, then discussed some possible stimulation procedures to try to get the bladder and sphincter working together after 4.5 months.  Finally, he left the room briefly, and came back with a 7 day sample of a medication called Myrbetriq in a 25 mg extended release form that you take one per day.. He said he was a bit concerned that it might cause severe retention.  I told him not to worry, as I had self catheter supplies and knew that drill.  To make a long story short, after two days, my leakage is 80-90% better, and I've been able to get 3.5-4 hours of sleep uninterrupted the last two nights.  The medication reportedly has few severe side effects.  In particular, it doesn't give the horrible dry mouth that oxybutinen gives.  It's pretty expensive at $300+ for 30 days, but that will be reduced by the Depends I'm not having to buy.  Most importantly, I can even think about going to see my son and daughter and grandkids on the other side of the country now!

• Posted

Glenn77 - You really have a problem.  Your situation is not even close to mine.  I am on the second round of LEVO and it is not working as well as the first time, but there is improvement.   I looked at my Humana information.  If you were 65 and on a Medicare Advantage program, your medication would be abt $97 for thirty days (as an example).  That medication is in the high tier for drugs.   My best wishes.  I hope you can get things controlled soon.  KEN

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.