Prostate surgery scheduled for December 7th

Posted , 8 users are following.

Good morning everyone my schedule surgery is for December 7th I am having my prostate removed any advice would be really helpful like when should I start with pads and exercise the pelvic area

The closer the date comes the more nervous I get I was pretty good the last couple of weeks went to work like nothing was going on but now I'm starting to realize close to that this is reality any advice would be helpful I'm ready to tackle this monster and beat it down

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My prostatectomy was on Sept 21 and when my doctor tried to remove the cathater, it wouldn't come out. He said it would come out by itself, and it did, but it was in for 4 weeks so, at first, I was soaking the pads. Not fun. 

That beeing said, I am still going through a lot of pads, but they are not soaked like they were so things are getting better. 

The actual surgery was a breeze and I was out of the hospital in 2 days.

Still too early to know about ED problems, but my brother had the same surgery about 2 1/2 years ago and he is fine now.

• Posted

Hi Greg, my husband had his prostate out on 9th November. Didn't need pads till catheter came out. First two days just poured urine,not what he expected after being told it would be like stress incontinence. You cannot do your kegel exercises till the catheter has been taken out. Night time appears dry at mo but still leaking in daytime. Early days yet. His surgery was Robot assisted and recovery was very good out of hospital 2  days post op. Would have been the following day except he had low blood pressure. Went back to work two and a half weeks later. As to ED, only one side of nerves left. got the incontinence and ED clinic on 20th. Find out results from op on 10th Jan. Good luck. Xx

• Posted

This may seem a bit personal, but ED is not the end of the world. Even before my surgery, my wife and I had a couple of "toys" that we used during our love making and within 2 months of my surgery, we were back to having fun in the bedroom. Just because I'm not able to perform right now, it doesn't meen that I don't get excited and can't have fun.

If anything, the fact that I can't finish means that I can go on for ever pleasing my wife until she is quite satisfied.

• Posted

I know its not Rick, had to reassure my hubby that we can get through it and as the doc said there are things they can do to improve it. I have got him tihnking the most important thing is getting a low PSA score when we go back in January, everything else we can deal with, and as you say you can still have fun! x
  • Posted

Greg,

my best advice is: "Enjoy sex as much as you can." And I will repeat it: "Have sex as much as you can." After surgery will never be the same.

And also, sex is relaxing ant that is what you need the most in these days before surgery. 

Good luck with your surgery and speedy recovery!

MK

• Posted

Hi greg

I had open radical prostactomy non

Nerv sparing on 9-2-16.

I am 66 fit for my age( hoby scuba diving)

Before opp psa 14.8 gleason 8.cancer in both lobes not broke out of prostrate

After opp margains clear prostate lymph nodes seminal vesicles removed

Result gleason 9 T2C. No mo .

My last 3 psa tests have all been the same

0.050 so have been very lucky . I only whent for psa test in first place because

My buddy tolled me he had prostaite cancer.

I was in hospital 4 days walking after 3 days .been 9 months now i still use pads but one lasts all day only slightly soiled

I can hold about 15 mins for toilet.

If going out for day i allso use uridom

With leg bag they are no trouble to use

And save you needing togo . Do pelvic

Exercises when catheter is out . Doctor

Gave me some pills to slow down urge

To pee.dont know weather erections wiil come back but not woried. Better than having cancer😊 Hope all goes well for you

Good luck

• Posted

Have you had a PSMA PET scan recently? This will show if there has been any significant metastasis to the skeleton. If there has been a small metastasis, it will not show it.

It is important to have such a post op scan in addition to post op PSA tests.

• Posted

Hi barney i had full body nuclear bone scan before prostactomy

It only showed one large blob were my prostate was every thing elswere

Was clear.i could actualy see the skeleton image as i slowly came out of the scaning machine.i looked at some images of nuclear bone scans on the web.i would have been scared if they would have been white spots all over. All the best vin

• Posted

Intersting. As I understand, such scans will show if the cancer has spread in a big way to the skeleton. But if it spread in a very small way, it will not be seen on a scan.
    • Posted

I ask because I want to know if your surgery was in 2 Sept or 9 Feb?
    • Posted

I see.

As to the scan you had, make sure you keep a copy of the images and the report. Don't let your doctor keep it.

Also note exactly what scan it was, as there are at least two popular but  different scans used.

• Posted

Hi barney

Quick update my last 5 psa tests

Have all. Been the same 0.05

Now nearly 12 months since my op

Peeing nearly normal . I wear the thinest pads but feel i could not wear them now. But allways have one handy. Hope you doing ok

• Posted

A result of 0.05 is excellent. I assume all your  blood work is analysed by the one lab.

How would you feel if your current peeing situation was not to get any better?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.