Prostatitis

Posted , 4 users are following.

Oct 31/16 - Amoxicillin / Clavulanic is not working on my prostatitis and I am allergic to ciprofloxacin. can anyone suggest an effective alternative.

Note - cipro worked well for years. In 2016 with a different generic brand cipro - I reacted - rash / hives - twice.

Thank You - Lloyd. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lloyd, the only thing to do is see what the doc suggests! 

It looks like your prostatitis is a long term thing if Cipro has worked for years.  Is your doctor sure it's an actual infection? Research has shown that the pain can be stress related and simple pelvic exercises can actually provide relief.

I don't know how much Cipro you've taken over the years but it does cause damage to your body.  Some people are actually disabled because of it  - it damages tendons and muscles plus it can do a lot of other things like it can cause anxiety, depression, insomnia etc.  Rashes and Hives are also common symptoms along with skin problems - it's evil stuff.

I suggest you never take it or any other Quinolone antibiotic ever again (there are 5 different ones in this 'family'wink.  There are many posts about the problems these antibiotics can cause under this heading on this site.

Good luck with the prostatitis - go to a doc!

• Posted

Miriam - Thank You for your thoughtful comments and caution. Will be seeing ny doc (again) in 10 days and certainly will be looking for a solution.

Thanks again Miriam - Lloyd

• Posted

I think it is highly unlikely that your reaction was anything to do with the generic version. More likely that your body has reached the limit of it's tolerance for fluoroquinolone abx. If you take it again you are likely to have a worse reaction. Look into alternative methods of treating your condition and do not let your doc persuade you that another round of anFQ antibiotic would be safe.

• Posted

Hi lloyd do your tests come back positive for infection ?
    • Posted

Gillian - short answer YES. Longer answer - long history of Prostatitis;  TURP on Sept 26/16 - triggered Prostatitis; prescribed Amoxi/Clav (still not working) - last saw Dr Oct 20/16 - next Nov 10/16 - will seek alternative answer to the Prostatitis contnuation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.