Prostatitis or BPH or something else

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello all,

I am having these symptoms since 4+ months now and the symptoms keeps varying. Mainly it all started with discomfort and some numb pain in my lower abdomen (most likely bladder area but I can't pin-point) which lasted for 3 weeks. Then I started to have discomfort only when my bladder was full. Passing urine would give me relief. No pain during urination or any burning etc. This kind of episodes would come and go, usually lasting few days then coming back in a week's time. Lately, I have started to feel bit of discomfort, a feeling of as if something is there , some mild burning type sensation in the left area below bellybutton but this is not always. Sometime there is also some discomfort on the right side and just above or somewhere around rectum but it does go away quickly. Also one significant symptom is that I am having (or I feel) that I have issues passing urine. The urine flow starts without problem but it is two streams when it starts then it becomes one and right towards the end, it dribbles. I feel as if few drops are still inside which are trying to come out as I feel bladder contraction but they can't make themselves out. I then pour warm water on my organ, change position etc and somehow sometime squeeze them out. But they are only few more drops not huge that actually come out. If I am successful in doing so, I feel lot of relaxed. Now GP is also confused. Is it IC or Prostatitis or BPH or something more serious ? Ultrasound, UTI and Urine Cytology all came clear, infact urine samples were taken atleast 5 - 6 times with no signs of UTI ever. Ultrasound did detected some urine remaining in bladder but it was so tiny amount that it was counted as normal. If It was BPH or Prostatitis, I should have consistant symptoms right ? On some days, I even don’t feel I have any issues so I am confused too. I am due a Postrate examination (physical) and a PSA test soon. By the way I am 37, no drinker no smoker. 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Although I don't experience the discomfort you describe my problem was with frequent and desparate urgency to urinate every half hour especially if standing up.

I had a PSA and a physical examination last month.  The test was clear and the physical showed that my prostate was of a normal size for a "gentleman of my age" (75) and my doctor prescribed Tamsulosin hydrochloride which seem, after three weeks, to have calmed things down and given back a measure of control..

I hope that you get to feel better soon and wish you well.

• Posted

Thanks Clive. I am glad your symptoms are going away. For me, I almost never have urgency to pee and the multiple type of symptoms (although none of them are consistant) is bit furstrating. Lets see. One thing, if you don't mind me asking if you are on the Tamsulosin permanantly or it is only prescribed for certain duration ?

• Posted

I'm on a trial at the moment and going back to see my doctor in three weeks time when she will assess the state of improvement or otherwise.  

She has already added Tamsulosin to my repeat prescription list so I'm guessing from what she said at the outset and what is noted in the leaflet accompanying the capsules "When treatment is stopped prematurely, your original complaint might return" that it is a long term or even permanent treatment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.