Prostititus

Posted , 8 users are following.

After six weeks of anti-biotics for a painful prostate I was referred to the hospital.After an examination the consultant told me I would have to put up with it.  If it was not caused by bacteria there was nothing they could do.  Is there no cure for non-bacteria prostatitus?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to read of your difficulties. I've not had this problem, tho' I know many on the forum have and will no doubt chip in.

A quick check on Google threw up confirmation that the condition is indeed diffult to treat. As well as antibiotics, there is mention of medications to relax the prostate muscles called alpha-adrenergic blockers; nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) like ibuprofen to reduce swelling; and stool softeners to prevent constipation.

Natural remedies listed included warmbaths, acupunture, relaxation exercises, and cranberry juice.

But if you've tried all of these, then I cannot find anything else.

Best wishes, Ian

• Posted

I've been getting prostatitis for several years. Normally no infection found but if one is and is treated the pain still does not go away and can linger for weeks or months.

I find when it goes it can disappear overnight. Some urologists seem not to believe in the non bacterial version. I had BPH and assumed that after laser surgery to reduce the prostate size it would be a thing of the past but that was not the case.

Did you pass any blood? On two occasions I did and was told that it must have been from a burst blood vessel in the prostate. The infections started soon after.

I find that it is more painfull during the night or when sitting for long periods. You can actually but special cushions to put on your chair. 

• Posted

Hi, sorry to hear about your problems, i myself had 3 lots of antibiotics but it was being prescribed Alpha Blockers (Tamsulosin) that my symptoms finally began to improve, reducing my time in the toilet from 15 mins to 3 mins to empty my bladder and the flow being improved from a trickle to something alot more healthy although far from perfect. My first Urology appointment is on the 11th so will keep you all updated. My advice would be to push for the Alpha Blockers. On an aside to this i have been noticing side effects with these tablets noticeably muscle cramps and pain around my shoulders and neck but these seem to be dissipating recently, i know with many tablets theres always a trade off but wondered if anyone else had these side effects?
  • Posted

Thanks for all answers.I've been taking Tamulosin and Finesatride for some time.I think retaining urine might be the answer and probably need another Turp as I had one years ago but I am an old man and I think the NHS do not want to waste any money on me.
    • Posted

Ageism seems more prevelant in urology than any of the other surgical groups. If its not going to kill you they will let you suffer. You really do have to stand up to them. Why not ask for laser surgery rather than another TURP. I had Green Light Laser surgey (PVP) in 2005 and Thulium laser surgery last year when 79 after my prostate regrew.

Tamsulosin can affect erections and cause retro ejaculation.

The nurse at the practice I go to says that is the drug she hears most complaints  about from men.

It can also affect your eyes and make any catatact surgery more difficult. An alternative drug Alfuzosin does not have that effect on the eyes..

• Posted

Hi Viscountdriver, hi Derek

I am on Tamsulosin now.  My GP said it was good while a catheter was in because it relaxes the muscles in the bladder and prostate.   I had the cath out last week and things are fine.  Doesn't feel quite the same as before but a good sream.  It certainly stopped the pain I was having, viscountdriver, so you should go back and insist on further trials.  No-one in this day and age should be in pain.

Derek, where did you find out about tamsulosin causing erectile problems and retro-ejaculation?  What other side effects did you nurse say people compained about?  I am thinking of stopping taking it to see if this is helping or hinderig me.  Viscountdriver, if you've been on it for a year but are still having problems what's the point you (or me) carrying on with it?

david

• Posted

What does your packet insert say?

From BNF, doctors prescribing manual:

"Side-effects of alpha1-selective alpha blockers include drowsiness, hypotension (notably postural hypotension), syncope, asthenia, dizziness, depression, headache, dry mouth, gastro-intestinal disturbances, oedema, blurred vision, intra-operative floppy iris syndrome (most strongly associated with tamsulosin), rhinitis, erectile disorders (including priapism), tachycardia, and palpitations.

Hypersensitivity reactions including rash, pruritus and angioedema have also been reported"

If you Google Tamsulosin with erectile dysfunction, Retro Ejaculation, reduced semen or any other words that may concern you answers will appear.. 

• Posted

We have been telling you guys that most prostatitis problems are because of allergies. The doctors don't even know this! cut out Gluten and Dairy completely! TRY IT YOU GOT NOTHING TO LOOSE!
  • Posted

Can you please give me more information on your diet. What oils do you use, what fruits and vegtables you use. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.