Prostititus or Prostate cancer

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been having symptoms of prostititus and was told that those symptoms are the same for cancer. Is this true? I have a clear discharge after urination and pain at the base of my penis. I have also experienced shooting sharp pains down my penis and dull pain in my testicles, rectum and tailbone. My urine stream is lazy and there is a lot of dribbling when finished. Needless to say kinda scared to go to the urologist as they will probably jump to conclusions. I am 47 so am getting into that age range where prostate enlargement is common. What I am wondering is these symptoms that close to cancer symptoms and if so will the doctor want me to be screened? I really have no desire to know I have cancer of this type. I will never let them do a biopsy on my prostate so can an MRI suffice? I can't put this off much longer as I am getting worse.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

An MRI will show if there are suspect spots with a PI-RADS score indicating if there is a likely PCa. However, only a biospy will provide a Gleason score to know whether it is a case of watch and wait (Gelason 6), or if action is required (e.g., Gleason 7, 8, 9 etc).

If you are worried about infection, then have a Transperineal Fusion Biopsy where the needes enter between the scrotum and anus and are guided to the suspect spot(s) by the MRI. So, it is not like random samples taken through the anus.

I would see you urologist.

• Posted

I don't know anything about prostititus, but to put a serious question like yours on this blog is like asking a WalMart greeter how to fix your car.  Buck up and get to a uro; you don't have to do what they recommend.  Get second or third opinions.  You don't say if you know what your PSA score is, but that would also be good info to have.  I'm 68 and have had the HoLEP procedure, which includes a biopsy of the prostate tissue they remove, and there was a small amount of cancer, but I have no outward symptoms.  If you can get to a Mayo Clinic, they're the best.  Good luck.  Don't wait.
  • Posted

Prostatitis common problem with BPH. Threy will only do MRI if PSA is elevated so get your PSA checked. Had same problem recently and MRI looked suspicious but biopsy negative. I have had worse done, biopsy isn't that bad, but expect blood in your semen for some weeks.
    • Posted

I don't agree with the statement that a MRI will only be done if PSA is elevated. I had a MRI when PSA was 2.4 to 3.5 over a decade. The MRI did point to possible PCa. The Biopsy confirmed it.

I wouldn't call a PSA of 2.4 to 3.5 elevated. False negatives and false positives are common with PSA results.

• Posted

Hi Craig,

cancer is scary! but dont let this stop you from seeking a proper diagnosis. A Digital rectal examination whilst a bit embarasing takes leass than a min. The uro can feel any nodes or abnormal textures to the prostate, he can feel for enlargement. If abnormality is suspected a PSA test can be done then likely a biopsy. had all this and the uro said that no clear problems were identified but now have six monthly checks. Please get yourself checked out, see a uro asap. If cancer is to be found the sooner the better, treatment can be very effective with a complete cure quite likely. If you dont get a proper check things can advance and give you a less positive outcome.

Get to it Craig, thoughts with you at this time.

• Posted

It looks like I will have no choice in the matter as it is getting difficult to urinate. My stream is lazy and clear sticky discharge can be found at the end of urination. This is a symptom of prostititus so hopefully that is what is going on. At least if it is a course of antibiotics should clear it up and bring me back to normal. I will make an appointment Monday. They probably won't be able to get me in for a week or so.
  • Posted

Well I made an appointment with my urologist, but I am so scared that I was shaking when making the appointment then I almost threw up. I hate going to the urologist more than anything. I had some bad experiences at the hands of doctors in that field and I find it almost impossible to go in. My body has other ideas as I can hardly pass urine now. What can I do about the stress of this appointment?
  • Posted

At the risk of being too dramatic, this appointment could save your life.  I had a co-worker who had prostate cancer, and although he paid attention, he eventually died from it.  I believe your fears are real, however they came about.  Try calling the docs nurse and explain your situation.  They will likely be able to help.  Best of luck; you're doing the right thing.
    • Posted

That is terrible. It is just another thing that worries me about this. Unless they can cure it I don't want to know I am dying. I am only 47 and hope at this age I wouldn't have advanced cancer there. I will not take a PSA so they will have to screen me with DRE and MRI or ultrasound. The PSA is way to vague to rely on. I have heard of men having a bad PSA then going in for biopsy to be told they found nothing but now their prostate is permanetly damaged from the biopsy. I have had some bad doctors in the past do some pretty horrific things to me so I am rightfully scared, but I have no choice at this point or it won't be to long before I am in the hospital ER getting a cath put in so I can urinate. I really hate this, I wouldn't be suprised if I pass out at the doctors.
  • Posted

Craig,

You have two issues going on at the same time: the urinary tract symptoms and your fear of doctors. 

You absolutely have to get past your fear of doctors, so you can get diagnosed and treated. 

Based on the limited information you have given here it is highly likely you have some sort of infection, and that would be treated with antibiotics. I have had several rounds of prostatitis so I am familiar with the symptoms. Whoever told you that these symptoms are the same as cancer doesn't know what they are taking about. 

The doctor will/should give you a DRE (Digital Rectal Exam), and feel your prostate for any lumps and/or irregularities. This is a normal exam. He can estimate the size of your prostate from that exam - very simple and quick. Nothing to fear. He may have you get a PSA test. If your prostate is enlarged your PSA will likely be elevated a bit. 

There is little reason to be concerned about prostate cancer at this point. You are only 47 years old. If you were 67 we would be having a different discussion. 

Even if, at some future point in your journey, you do test positive for prostate cancer, there are many treatments that are available. I have gone on the exact journey that you are on and I am doing fine. 

I had prostatitis, exams, PSA tests, biopsies, BPH symptoms, tested positive for low risk (Gleason 6) cancer, went on active surveillance, interviewed various doctors and eventually got treatment for the cancer - now cured. 

NOT know what's going on is MUCH more stressful than knowing and moving forward with treatment, even if it's only the antibiotics.

Hope this helps,

Tom

• Posted

Tom: I agree with your post 100%. Your advice is right on the money.

Stewart

• Posted

Yea, I am hopeful that I only need antibiotics. I am sorry that you had cancer I hope that it is gone and you are ok. My fear of doctors is mainly male doctors so I am seeing a woman. I was sexually molested at a young age by a doctor that I trusted. It has greatly impacted me late in life so I now find myself seeking treatment for it. I have a therapist in mind but she has not gotten back to me to schedule an appointment. It is so difficult for me that I was absolutely sick with fear just scheduling the appointment. Now I have to be strong enough to go in. I thank you for the encouragement. What happened to me is not common and I don't expect a doctor to have much understanding about it. My general doctor didn't even want to understand why I wouldn't come in for an annual physical with him. I told him I had a bad experience, but no response to find out why. I had to switch GP to a woman. This really sucks, I hate being so fearful. I tend to shake even when at the doctors. At least I am aware of the problem and seeking help for it. thanks again.
    • Posted

Craig,

Very sorry to hear about what happened to you and your lifelong fear of doctors. 

Last month I watched a fascinating NOVA program on PBS called "Memory Hackers". Halfway through the program there was a story about a woman named Merel Kindt from the University of Amsterdam who has been curing people who have strong fears such as yours.She has been working with people with a fear of spiders, but the technique would apply to any fear.

The technique is called Reconsolidation Therapy. The idea is that fears are memories that appear and can be blocked when they go back into "storage" by a simple pill - Propranolol - a common blood pressure medication. 

Prof. Kindt has been able to cure her patients by showing them a spider, then their fears surface, then they take 1 tablet of Propranolol, then the next day they come back into the lab and see the spider again, and their fear has vanished. The Propranolol has blocked the chemical that puts the fear back into memory, so it won't surface again. In effect, the fear has been erased. 

You should do some research about this technique. It might be something you could use to erase your fear of doctors. 

My very best,

Tom

• Posted

Thanks, at least I have recognized it and trying to fix it. I will check into what you are talking about.
    • Posted

Thank You So much TOM for sharing and giving strength for others on this forum. 

Kind regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.