Prostrate supplements

Posted , 4 users are following.

Some research suggests that drinking pomegranate juice may slow the progression of prostate cancer. Any thoughts?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

havent heard the Pomegranate juice but I heard Broccoli one? I'm 16 months on since RP and am zero trace so not now in the business of slowing it down...

thanks

• Posted

I have seen several reports suggesting taking pomegranate, like one recently from mayoclinic. While they stated it seemed to slow PCa and appear to slow PSA rises, they warned the tests were not controlled.
    • Posted

Geoff,

Also read this........According to a study presented at the American Urological Association’s annual meeting in 2009, drinking 8 ounces of pomegranate juice a day may slow the progression of prostate cancer.

This may be true, but I would say this is not a cure, but if one thinks drinking this juice is ben

• Posted

My reply posted premature. If one thinks this juice is beneficial to their over all health and helps the prostrate in general, I say go for it!
    • Posted

I am sure there are many foods out there that would be beneficial to us. It is just the pharmaceutical companies do not like the idea of natural remedies, so therefore actively do not promote or fund them.

My 55 year old sister had a mastectomy 12 months ago. Surgeon and pathologist said she was all clear. BUT, the public hospital oncologist said she did not accept their findings and brow beat her into accepting chemo. Before the treatment, she was in great health, other than the breast cancer of course. Even after the surgery, she bounced back well. During the chemo, she had a heart attack, and they suspended treatment for 24 hours!!, then recommenced at a slower rate per hour....

Now, 12 months on, she is this little wizened up lady that looks 90. In terrible health, no taste, feet and hands numb, all her teeth had to be removed because they crumbled and still trying to stop the diarrhoea and recently told that the chemo she was on is likely to cause another cancer within 5 years.

I drink a lot of green tea. Because I like it, and because it may also assist with PCa retardation. 

• Posted

I just bought some pomegranate juice, It has a great taste. But, expensive $ 5.49 for 24 ounces. That is 3 days. Supply.

I also take IP -6 & Inositol supports natural Killer cell activity. Good for the immune system.. I agree the pharmaceutical companies do not support nothing natural remedies.

Sorry about your Sister . My ex wife went through chemo for lung cancer. It did the same thing to her as it did to your Sister. Only she died shortly after her last treatment.

I would not do the chemo, but maybe radiation. I am currently on Active Surivellance.

• Posted

Yes, Roger, the chemo is a terrible "cure"

And yes, the pomegranate is expensive...but maybe not compared with other medicines that do not taste as good

• Posted

You got that right! Any thing that I think is beneficial to my PCA , I will pay the price.

I stick $20 dollar bills in slot machines , and don't get a damn thing. So no worries about the cost of my health.

• Posted

To test out the POM impact on my PSA, I took the recommended 8 oz of juice for 3 months and then had a followup PSA done. No improvement was found. My PSA did not budge from the last test. Fortunately my PSA only moderately high (9.0) and my cancer is low/intermediate. I am discontinuing taking it, and will save $$ on this expensive juice.
    • Posted

Thanks aksns61,

Your info is good to know. I appreciate your reply.

• Posted

Interesting....Maybe it is working and maintained your PSA level at 9 instead of increasing? But I understand you concerns as it is quite expensive, and if in your case it has no benefits, then stop it.

When I mentioned to my doctor I was going to start pomegranate, he said, I would prefer you do not because the heart medication I am on is very stable, and one of the warnings for the drug is my potassium levels have to be at minimal levels for it to work. pomegranate is quite high on potassium, so this could cause me some problems. 

• Posted

Roger

Ive been on active surveilance for 3 years and will enter treatment in January 2017. First to take ADT for 6 months, then seed implants 10 weeks after I start ADT. At 5 months, another PSA to determine impact and possible schedule EBRT. New cancer guidelines argue against EBRT for low to intermediate cancers like mine ( normal size prostate, confined, etc). Ill keep everyone informed of my progress. The cancer center is just 30 min from me, here in NW massachusetts. PS I am 74.

• Posted

Aksns,

Why are you going on treatment now, after AS for 3 years? I have been on AS 7 months now, going for PSA reading at end of month.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.