Protate Cancer or clear

Posted , 8 users are following.

Is it normal practice after a prostate cancer examination not to offer the patient any news on whether they are in the clear or not ?

I had a prostate exam by my GP - 3 weeks ago and have not been given any results - the only thing is an appointment at the hospital with a UROLOGIST in 3 weeks time - which I  booked on line but could have been up to 3 month time !!

I know that it is Christmas but I would have expected to be told either way....

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

How did you know it was a cancer check? What did your doctor exmaine and how? A GP wouldn't be able to diagnose cancer either way. Seems more likely it was a dre which can only give an indication that something might be wrong, but not whether it is benign enlargement or something more worrying. Three weeks may seem a long time to wait, but no doubt the urologist will be the right person to ask what might be wrong, but don't expect a definitive answer. Many more checks and tests are likely, with 3 weeks or so waiting times for results all part of the process. Welcome to the forum! We're all finding our own way to manage these anxieties, but don't be reticent about asking your gp anything you need to know. It's what they're there for, after all.

• Posted

I would phone your GPS office and see if they did in fact do PSA testing with your blood work . Do not ever be lax with test results . Far to.many people are left with out knowing what is going on .it is your right to know Demand it .
  • Posted

Steve, don't panic.. I would first call your GP and ask the blood report results for your PSA. I would also inquire as to why he is referring you to a urologist. The DRE may have shown nothing - or perhaps an enlargement which is common. The PSA may give more information on why he scheduled an appointment with a urologist. Good luck to you... and stay connected. There are lots of good people on this site with lots of good information. - Charles

• Posted

Hi Steve,

most of us end up in our doctors rooms with problems passing urine, to offten , not enough, its painfull, it sprays, etc, etc. Doctor takes a history and usualy follows with a DRE. In the UK if your doctor is suspicious that you may have cancer he will fast track you to a hospital appointment within two weeks. It seems that he feels you have a less urgent problem but one  still needing the skills of a urologist to diagnose and deal with the problem.

When you have seen the uro and have a diagnosos get back to the forum seek the experience of the other forumites before you agree to a course of treatment.

Try not to worry Steve.

Best wishes.

• Posted

Steve, I agree with Phillip. It it were urgent, your doctor would have sent you quickly to the urologist. Do find out your PSA number though - knowing that also helps... but a high PSA could also mean an infection. Even if it turns out to be a prostate cancer, most are slow growing which gives you time to research treatment options. Charles
  • Posted

Steve, As others have said. you need your PSA number. While it is itself is not  "proof" of cancer, if it is 'high' it is an indication your prostate is not happy and the services of a urologist is the best course of action to determine the cause.

What age are you? What country are you in? Why did you get a prostate cancer examination in the first place? Did you have a PSA blood test? and or only a DRE?

Sorry for all the questions, but, for the best advice here, the more information you provide the many knowledgeable forum members can assist.

When you see the urologist, let us know what the findings were.

• Posted

I am 53 and have had a problem with producing too much urine for several years - I have been put on many drugs during the time and none have had satisfactory results - My prostate was checked by the GP who told me that it felt "rather hard" to him - hence the PSA test !!

The urologist was booked at the same time - to give us more idea as to what is going on - it appears that it is unrelated to the actual blood test - but should I not have expected the results of the PSA test by now ? (3 weeks is a long time)

• Posted

Hi Steve, ok, the urologist was booked at the same time as the GP meeting, meaning he is not happy with the feel of the prostate through the DRE. He did not have a PSA reading yet.

Here in Australia, if we get a PSA check, the results are available with the GP in 48-74 hours. Also, the doctor would not normally call you about the results, as a PSA test is pretty common. You will have to go in and ask him for the results. Remember, a PSA reading is not necessarily a yes/no you have cancer. It is just one of a few tests that are required. As you have no 'base line' PSA reading? it means this PSA result is a one off. Generally, if the PSA is less than 4, it is considered 'normal', though, plenty of people have aggressive prostate cancer with a PSA less than 4, and plenty of people have no cancer with a PSA of 10. At the moment, it is just a first reading number to help the urologist make a decision what to do next.

Ask the GP, and let us know. 

The most common reason for excessive urination is diabetes. By now, I am sure your GP has ruled this out.

• Posted

Hello Steve.What type of Prostate exam did you have .Did they test for size of prostate with DRE.Or did you have a PSA blood test.
    • Posted

I had a PHYSICAL EXAMINATION - at which point - my GP told me that my prostate felt rather hard - and arranged a PSA blood test, which I had a week later
  • Posted

OK I am clear- my readings came back as low

Next I had an appointment with the urologist who wants me to have a Cystograph - in a few weeks time.

• Posted

Good luck with the Cystograph in a few weeks time. At least they will get some ideas about your bladder.

Geoff

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.