Proton therapy for prostate cancer

Posted , 7 users are following.

My partener has just been diagnosed with prostate cancer.  As I'm sure you understand we are reeling.  He is 52 years of age and otherwise fit and healthy.  He is 7 on the Gleason scale.  I have read about Proton treatment for prostrate cancer available in Prague.  Has anyone undergone this treatment?  We would love to be informed about ALL available treatments before we proceed.  Thank you. Ayjay

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear your news, but don't despair just yet  -- just prepare for doing a lot of research!  Your posting on this site is a good place to start.  PC is a slow progressing cancer and some men make the mistake of making a hasty decision that can lead to having a treatment path they later wish they had given more thought to.  You and your partner have time to talk to explore your options.

For myself, I was diagnosed at age 66.  I was in excellent health and went with prostetectomy (open surgery 15 months ago). The cancer was confined to the prostate with no seminal vesicle invasion and no PC in the lymph nodes.  My PSA is now zero and will be monitored yearly.  Fingers are crossed that it does not return.  I honestly do not think about it.  With the exception of slowly returning erectile function everything else is perfectly normal. I had no incontinence issues at all!  I was lucky in that regard.

Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you so much for taking time to reply
  • Posted

I don't know anyone who has had proton but from reports seen it has very favourable outcomes. Not all prostate cancer are slow,so active monitoring is a must. I had mine at 55. That is eight yrs ago still slightly incontinent and erectile function poor. No cancer on current PSA reading. I had robotic prostate removal had to have left side nerves removed  at recommendation of surgeon. If sex is a big part of your life and the intimacy is important to your wife then go for newest treatment you can find that leave things intact. I know some people say things move on but you have to be honest about what you and your wife can live with. To some it's not the most important thing to others it's the core of who they are. 

• Posted

Thank you very much for taking time to reply.  Good luck to you
  • Posted

It is always a shock to hear about cancer of any kind, and I know and feel your fear. I was diagnosed last year with early stage prostate cancer. My Gleason score was 6, PSA was 5.6. I had no symptoms other than elevated PSA. Biopsy showed 2 out of 12 samples contained cancer cells. Low amounts in the samples, 2% in one, 10% in the other. I was told I had many treatment options as you do too. I looked at them and tried to decide what treatement offered a good success rate and few side effects. I finally decided on Brachytherapy - low dose radiation seed implants. The low dose radiation means that it reduces the chance of damage to surrounding tissues like the bladder and colon. It is done as an outpatient procedure - takes about 45 minutes. You are anesthetized for the procedure. After about an hour in recovery, you can go home. I went for my 6 month follow up and my PSA was at 0.15 which my urologist said was very good for the 6 month period. It will be one year this month since I had the Brachytherapy. I am scheduled for my one year check up on the 22nd. At this point since the procedure - it is like nothing ever happened... not incontenance, not erectile disfunciton. All is working as it did before this whole thing happened. Explore your treatment options, but check out Brachytherapy. It has a good success rate. Just make sure what ever procedure you choose, the doctor has performed that treatment successfully many times. Good luck to you both. - Charles
    • Posted

Thank you very much Charles and the best of luck to you on the 22nd
  • Posted

Hi Ayjay, Has your partner had a mpMRI to see the extent of the PCa lesion(s). The biopsy may have found some of the PCa, but others could be lurking. Was his Gleason 3+4 or 4+3? I live in Australia and maybe a year or more before a proton machine and building appears due to the extreme building and machine costs. Some reports say proton therapy is good, others say the results are similar to EBRT, but 10 times the cost.. 

Geoff

• Posted

Hi Geoff, he is scheduled to have one in about four weeks so we will know more then.  This is why I am doing all this research.  The proton treatment is very, very expensive but according to their own website the after effect are minimal.  We are not rich people but would find a way if it was true.  I will look into EBRT.  Thank you very much.
    • Posted

As Charles says, there are many treatments and doctors to choose, depending on what the MRI shows and the Gleason score. A 3+4, is considered a less aggressive PCa than a 4+3 due to the overall PCa being Gleason 3. Do your research as the best treatment is the one that removes the cancer with the least side effects. As your partner is quite young still and with a Gleason 7 of any type, When you get the mpMRI results, do not wait too long before deciding. 

Geoff

• Posted

Thanks again.  And good luck to you.  I will keep in touch.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.