Prozac and weight gain

Posted , 3 users are following.

First of all, thanks for reading. Any input is greatly appreciated. So I've been on meds for about 15 years. First Zoloft and now Prozac for the last 7 years. I believe it has caused me to gain weight and it has been really bothering me. I eat well, exercise and do yoga but I feel like I haven't seen any results. I really want to get off off Prozac but I'm scared. I don't want to be on it because of this side effect but I'm also terrified of withdrawal. I don't know what to do!?!?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sandi,

How annoying! I think you need to look at alternative methods of dealing with your weight worries though, before you think about coming off the Prozac.  For myself, although I've stopped my 2/5 fasting (felt too dizzy) since starting Prozac (4 mths ago), I haven't gained any weight at all and put this down to stopping alcohol...  My first thought would be to book an appointment with a dietician - and prep for this by taking in a log of your daily diet over the previous week (they wont necessarily ask you for this, but it does help!) and see what they suggest. You never know, it might boil down to a simple tweak here and there to solve your problem, eh?

Anne x

• Posted

Hi Anne. I wish it were as easy. I've tried tracking my foods, counting my calories and limiting certain foods. I got by thyroid checked and that was fine. I don't know why the excess weight is there but it is very frustrating. I might have to slowly wean off the meds but I'm scared to sad
    • Posted

Like I said, try a dietician, might be worth it when you're up against a brick wall!!

A x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.