Prozac for depression

Posted , 3 users are following.

Does anyone here take Prozac for depression? I started once before and quit (tried very hard going without ANY meds)...I've started and stop 3 others but I had very bad reactions to them.

Anyway...THIS time for some odd reason or others, the Prozac is making my anxiety worse...and that is really hard to deal with because I don't want to take more Ativan than the .5 mg I take at night to help me sleep... Have any of you had this reaction to Prozac whereby it made you anxious?? and if so, how long did it take to 'get past this'... I just hope it DOES stop... Only been on 10mg per day since the 15th of Sept (this month) and so far it seems to do nothing (except for the anxiety)...but I really want to give it a chance this time.

I will really appreciate your responses...thank you!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes Prozac will cause panic attacks that's another reason I have to start low dose I also take Xanax they say this will pass neither one of us have been. taking it long enough hopefully we will both get passed side effects and get better.

• Posted

Hi Betty darling,

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm so sorry you are suffering and struggling so much. I'm 28 years old and have suffered serious from severe depression and anxiety from a little girl, and I too have been on Prozac.

Prozac was actually the very first anti depressant I was prescribed. Started on 10mg just like yourself. I suffered a lot of the initial side effects with Prozac, I'm not sure you're getting any of these but I was quite nauseous and felt it wasn't working. But I stuck it out and continued to increase my dose for the following 12 months but didn't feel like Prozac was the right medication for me. At the start for the first couple months it helped with my anxiety and I could function a bit better for a very short period of time.

I went to my dr and he put my on Zoloft. Eventually the same thing happened on that too, but it was a little better I guess.

This sort of continued to happen until I found something (lexapro) that worked long term.

I have just come off my lexapro. It's been about two weeks since I've stopped taking my meds because I thought after all these years, I'd see how I could deal without them.

I think you just have to experiment until you find the right medication for you. But in my opinion I think you should give Przac a chance to work it's full effect.

Hope this helped. Please stay in touch.

Anxiety is so awful and debilitating. I hope you have people who love and car about you around for support.

• Posted

Hi Betty, I am 41-year-old and been on 80mgs since I was 17 years old . I have really bad anxiety OCD and depression prozac never made my anxiety worse if it doesn't get better after a week I would think about changing so far the only medicine so far that makes my. Anxiety bad is compazine for upset stomachs is there anything else your on possible that is making your anxiety worse.

• Posted

Hello Betty

I've been on 20mg / day for many years. Apart from the initial couple of weeks or so perhaps (it'sabout 18 years ago! - but what you say rings a bell), it's not caused what you describe. I would describe it as a 'good leveller' for our depressed minds. But of course each of us has different chemistry, and so it might not be right for you. That said, I don't think you could be sure without taking for a further month.

Get in touch with the doctor straight away once you feel you have trialled it long enough, if you still have concerns, and keep in touch with him / her. I would politely suggest you don't just take yourself off it with nothing to replace it and no discussion with the doctor.

Good luck - I'm sure you're on the track to finding what will help you - Prozac or not. smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.