Prozac increased anxiety and panic attacks

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was on Prozac and stopped it in May. Tapered. I wanted to lose weight and could not no matter what I did. I was fine, felt great, lost 30 lbs and bam things happen in my life again and I relapse. I have been putting off starting it again because of the side effects. So Friday I had a bad panic attack and callled an ambulance. They get so bad sometimes I just feel like something is wrong and I'm going to die. It's the worst feeling in the world. I then decided I needed to start. So I took the first one and I was just tired. I have no appetite and I'm very anxious. I'm on day 4 and last night I had another horrible panic attack in my sleep and called an ambulance again. I had two in a row then some mini ones after that. I was shaking for about 3 hrs afterwards. I felt so horrible. I'm terrified now 24/7. I am feeling a lot worse than when I wasn't on the Prozac. I can't get off the couch. Can't eat. Can't sleep. I'm nervous constantly which throws me into panic attacks. I see the doctor tomorrow finally after trying to get ahold of her for four days. I keep reading it gets worse before it gets better but idk if I can handle this. It's too much. I can't be panicking like this everyday.

I guess I'm just wondering if others have felt the same way. I'm only taking 10mg right now.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi, yes i felt the same way i was at only 7 mg liquid form
    • Posted

I didn't know they had liquid. Idk if I should start lower or higher. Like is it too much or not enough. It's so hard cuz I need to get better quick for my family. I have kids

• Posted

i understand and it is not easy , and it is the beginning , it would be better in some days.....

• Posted

This feeling and panicking doesn't last forever, i've been on flou for 7 months and how i feel now is completely different to how i first felt when i started taking it. Around 12 weeks is when most side effects cease so hang in there.

• Posted

I'm trying. I have constant fear of having another bad panic attack. I haven't had any in years and now it's coming back and it's so hard to cope with.

• Posted

Courtney. You have to hang in there honey. Your description is exactly how I was feeling - just 4 weeks ago. I too ended up in A&E twice, more for my own safety than anything else. I had never ever felt so scared. It was awful. I was prescribed and started taking the fluoxetine almost four weeks ago.

Now, your not going to like this, but please hear me out. The symptoms did get worse, I was having attacks every couple of hours for what felt like days. Then it subsided to maybe one a day, but with continuing nerves.

This lasted about 2 weeks, before the attacks physically stopped. Since then I have had maybe two or three attacks in the last fortnight almost.

I was at the point where I though they would never stop, I was nauseous with worry, overthinking everything and being completely irrational. This WILL STOP. I promise you. You just need to see it through.

Some people may take a little longer than others, but it should take about 4-6weeks.

I had a minor panic attack today, but that's the first in about 5 days, and it was all over within a few hours. The mess are starting to fight back, and for the first time since Christmas I am starting to feel more like myself.

The other side effects (insomnia, blurry vision, shaking and nerves will also subside). I am 48yra old and this is my third time I've had anxiety issues. It seems to be a pattern with me - every two year - I go on the flux for 6months, think I'm cured and just stop taking them!!! 2 years later, repeat!

This time however, my doc has told me NOT to come off them. time will tell.

• Posted

Oh wow. Well that helps. I think my nerves are shot. I worry when the next panic attack is coming because it felt so bad the last time. I hate it so much. I'm going to the doctor in the morning. I guess I worry that the meds are going to make me doll go crazy eventually. This is only the second time I've been treated and I know it has a lot to do with stress. I'm under a tremendous amount of stress for a 28 yr old. Always have been my whole life though. I don't seem to ever get a break.

• Posted

Completely not scientifically correct, but if you imagine your brain is made from two beakers of chemicals, one a "yellow" chemical, one "blue" chemical. They need to be equal for you to have a "green" healthy existence, and only your brain can produce these two chemicals.

But your yellow beaker has tiny holes in it and leaks. Not a lot though, and over time the balance in your brain has turned blue, making you react with panic and other symptoms.

The fluoxetine is plugging all the wee holes in your yellow beaker, slowing down the loss of yellow chemical. There will come a point when enough holes are plugged and your brain will start producing more yellow than your losing, this gradually restoring the balance!!

But it will take time.

As each day passes your panics and anxiety will lessen, and the good "normal" feelings will increase. There will come a point where eventually the good outlasts the bad (the point I'm at now) and then you will start to feel more and more normal.

For me the worst times were always the mornings, gradually feeling better by the evening. The horrible feelings were slowly subsiding each day, so now I just feel horrible for the first hour or two in the morning. I've found eating a wee chocolate digestive and a full glass of water with my fluoxetine helps brilliantly with the sicky feelings. I still struggle to get motivated in the mornings, but I've found that giving myself a task, even something small, helps me enourmously. I am supposed to be moving house in four weeks (the last thing I need right now!!!) Today I cleared out a cupboard, and took my surplus clothes to a charity shop. Tomorrow I am going to start packing up the spare room. One day at a time!

Apologies for the patronising description, but in the throws of an attack this is what I think about. I imagine the wee holes being plugged, and tell myself that this attack isn't as bad as the last one, and the next one will be easier still.....

• Posted

Yeah it makes sense. It's just getting through it. I'm looking to move too so another stress added on. My husband is my life saver. I feel so bad he has to deal with me in this. It's got to be annoying at times. Telling me I'm okay and me saying no I'm not. It's a vicious cycle. I hope it stops. I had a panic attack in my sleep last night so waking up into that was the worst feeling. I wasn't fully aware what was going On and called emergency. I hate having neighbors ask if I'm ok too seeing an ambulance every few days at my house.

• Posted

These meds don't work for everyone! Maybe you'd be best just taking Ativan or something for your anxiety? I heard that Tramadol, although a pain med, is very effective for anxiety and depression. There are other options for you. I have had MANY of those panic attacks myself and they are HORRIBLE!!!!!!!! 

• Posted

Yes they are the worst. They make me anxious 24/7 then afterwards. I was like this years ago and then I started meds and tried Prozac and eventually it worked. I just can't stand the side effects. It's so hard.

• Posted

I started at 20 mg of Prozac and had extreme anxiety and panic. This was already an issue for me so I stayed with it hoping for the best. I literally couldn't sleep more than one or two hours a night and nothing seemed to calm me. I had body spasms that were very very terrifying. When I did sleep and wake up I was immediately terrified with frightening dreams. I stopped eating, barely slept and couldn't really communicate with anyone. I felt sucked into a hole that I was terrified I'd never be ble to come out of. I almost lost my job, told my husband goodbye bc I thought I was literally going to die. Anyway, I let it go on too long. Istartrd prozac on 20 mg and went up to 40 mg the 3rd week. I did feel a tiny bit better but by no means myself. I felt better on a day by day basis. I finally had a good day, then a decent week and by around week 10 things were so much better. I feel normal again and happy. Just myself. I did pray a lot and had a lot of people praying for me but the mess were necessary. Eventually you will start feeling better and that is what you have to focus o, feeling better and getting better. It took me a while about 10 weeks but I'm alive and normal and happy and functioning again. Something I thought, when I was going through this that would never happen. Stick with the meds, I'm so glad I did. If I can get better, you will. It was the scariest time of my life but now I'm just fine. It will get better just concentrate on that. You will get better.

• Posted

Also, with the 40 mg Prozac my dr gave me Buspar and it helped very much. I was in a co start state of panic, pacing for days that lasted for weeks. No lie. My husband and family took care of me and managed to keep

My job. The Lord was with me or else I don't know if I'd still be here. The Prozac and Buspar helped me so so so much.

• Posted

10 weeks???? I can't even get by one week. I'm in a constant panic mode from having such a bad attack. Can't sleep or eat. It's just horrible. I'm going to the doctor today

• Posted

I stopped after a month because of the panic attacks and feeling like a turnip...doesn't work for everyone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.