Prozac withdrawals?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I stopped taking Prozac about 8 days ago because it was not helping my anxiety at all, in fact it made it ten times worse. Anyway, I've been doing fairly well until yesterday when I started to have times of dizziness throughout the day and it happened while I was working out which was a bit scary. I was only on Prozac for 7 weeks but do you think this is withdrawal? The dizziness could also be my anxiety, I'm not sure. Does anyone know anything about when withdrawls start and end on Prozac? I know it takes a while to get out of your system. Thank you!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi.. did you just stop taking them yourself without talking to your GP? You should be weening yourself off them or you will feel not so good. 7 weeks really was not a good enough length to give these tablets a good go. They take time to build up. I am on week 7 as well and just increased dose. They made me feel anxious as well but that is the tablet just getting into the body. You may have just needed a dose juggle to help you. Go see a doctor to help you ween yourself off them. Good luck.
    • Posted

My doctor advised me to stop taking them without weaning off, I was only taking 20mgs for 7 weeks but my anxiety got so bad that I couldnt leave the house or go to work so I decided this was definitely not the drug for me. It's only been 8 days off the Prozac and I'm already doing better than I was while taking it. I know it takes a month to leave your system so I know I have a ways to go before the effects of this drug wear off. I'm just trying to take it one day at a time. 

• Posted

Hi.. I've reduced my Prozac down from 60 to 20 now over a few weeks. The past few days just feel a bit anxious and shaky.. not sleeping great and having weird dreams.. and also loss of appetite.. I know can be part of the whole withdrawal stages. Just going to stick it out..

• Posted

I also feel a bit shaky and anxious but I think those two things go hand in hand. I think it's all part of the anxiety. Just trying to take it one day at a time smile

• Posted

Hi Vanilla27,

I can completely understand the dizzy spells you are having. I've been off fluexotine for 4 weeks now and I'm having these dizzy/lightheaded symtoms. They only really start in the afternoon for me and literally can't function! I went to my doctor and explained I had come off my meds and she gave me some tablets for the dizziness and it has made such a difference. I had been on flu for 3 years.

• Posted

Wow, glad to know I'm not alone. I was only on Prozac for 7 weeks so thats why mine might not be as bad as yours but they are still really annoying. Good to know if things get worse I can go to my doctor for some help. So far it just comes and goes but its not debilitating yet. Hopefully things will settle down soon. Thanks for your reply!

• Posted

No worries at all! Happy to help out. I've also has some bloods done and have low iron and next to no B12... My doctor said this contributes to the dizziness and lightheadedness too along with my antidepressant withdrawals! So I'm excited to get this all sorted out and get past this stage. Hope you're feeling better!

E24

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.