PRP ankle injection

Posted , 3 users are following.

i suffered a dislocated fx ankle about 20 years ago.  Arthritis has set in.  Orthopedic wants to try a PRP injection of this does not work mentioned arthroscopic clean up with PRP injection.  Ankle fusion is a last resort I am very active replacement is not an option

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

why is replacement not an option? I too am very active and have been giving a replacement joint so I have some movement. As a result I have curtailed some of my activities. Its also given me movement for however long the joint lasts and then it has to be fused. So far I am over 1 year of movement and no pain and that is priceless in my books. I am happy to cut back on some activities for a moving joint.
    • Posted

I like to play golf and walk. Orthopedic feels fusion is best option. Maybe I need a second opinion. I just had a knee replacement 9 weeks ago.  
    • Posted

get a second opinion. I share my surgeons view, get some motion for as long as the joint lasts and then when it breaks fuse it. Why bring fusion forward. 

Have you considered that if the joint is fused what impact it might have on your golf and walking?

• Posted

Ankle replacements can be very fragile. Part of bone is removed in ankle replacement which makes fusion surgery complicated.  
  • Posted

Hello John,

I was wondering why fusion is favoured instead of replacement. A replacement would give you more movement. I agree with wknight thou i am not a consultant, I have had arthritis since aged 11. I was offered fusion of the knee aged 14 and i am so glad i didn't. I would of not been able to of had the knee replaced years later, i was 39 for the first one and had a revision one done aged 52. Thou i have had limited mobility, ie cannot kneel or run, i have had a few relativly pain free years. I am now struggling with my other knee and have had no luck with steriod injections, I am awaiting to see my consultant again, i was due to go on Wed but because of the junior doctors strike it's been cancelled. 

If i was in your position i would ask for a second opinion. Ankles can be more difficult i know.

Good luck, i hope you can get it sorted.

Elizabeth.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.